RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Featured attraction: PRESSURE + INTRO by Akua Gyamfi at Lexi Cinema (08 OCT 18:30): Lexi Film School presents one of the key works of black British cinema; photographer Horace Ove’s debut feature follows Tony, the child of Trinidadian immigrants, as he navigates the complex cultural landscapes of crumbling mid-70s London.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
CHILD OF MINE + PANEL at Curzon Soho (08 OCT 18:45):
- Filmed over 2 years at UCLH and Addenbrookes Hospital, Child of Mine sensitively follows three couples through their personal journeys of losing a child before birth. The UK has one of the highest rates of stillbirth in the developed world, yet these hidden bereavements are rarely talked about, often leaving parents isolated and alone.
DREAMING WHILST BLACK: CELEBRATING BLACK BRITISH CINEMA at Peckhamplex (08 OCT 18.30):
- DWB presents: Screening of various short films along with You Tube series DREAMING WHILST BLACK followed by a Q&A discussing how to make it in the film industry, with: Ellen Thomas (actress) Dani Moseley (actress) Adeyemi Michaels (filmmaker) Sebastian Thiel (filmmaker). Part of Black History Month.
PRESSURE + INTRO by Akua Gyamfi at Lexi Cinema (08 OCT 18:30):
- Lexi Film School presents: One of the key works of black British cinema, photographer Horace Ove’s debut feature follows Tony, the child of Trinidadian immigrants, as he navigates the complex cultural landscapes of crumbling mid-70s London. Every ticket gets 30 days of complimentary MUBI. Streaming service
WEEKS IN THE WEST END + INTRO world premiere at The Prince Charles (08 OCT 18:10):
- A modern-day Diary of Samuel Pepys from the bottom rungs of the media ladder, Ian Mantgani’s monochrome 16mm documentary charts one filmmaker’s personal journey as a passholder at the 2017 London Film Festival.
We Haunt You While You Watch inc SHORT: THE HUM at The Horse Hospital (08 OCT 19:00):
- Strange Attractor Press presents: The launch of Kristen Gallerneaux’s High Static Dead Lines, a literary mixtape exploring the entwined boundaries between sound, material culture, landscape and esoteric belief. Featuring the UK premiere of Kristen’s short film, THE HUM, readings, live music and discussion with Dave Tompkins
More films in London today (A – Z): ADAPTATION. at BFI (08 OCT 18:10).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
70mm PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles (ongoing):
- 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY 70mm new ‘unrestored’ print (08 OCT 20:01).
CELEBRATING THE CINEMA OF SPIKE LEE at Genesis Cinema (01 to 29 OCT):
- JUNGLE FEVER (08 OCT 21:00 – Free tickets for residents of Tower Hamlets / Proof required at venue Box Office).
DRAMA SHE WROTE at BFI Southbank (OCT):
FIERCE: THE UNTAMEABLE JOAN CRAWFORD at BFI Southbank (OCT):
- SUDDEN FEAR (08 OCT 18:30).
HORROROCTOBER at Prince Charles (OCT):
- THE LIFT aka De Lift (08 OCT 18:25 – £1 PCC Members Screening).
WORKING CLASS HEROES at BFI Southbank (SEP to OCT):
- BULLET BOY 35mm (08 OCT 21:00).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
We don’t think there are any film festivals projecting in London today, but that probably means we’ve missed something…
> Let us know in the comments below.
Coming soon to a screen near you…
- BFI London Film Festival (10 to 21 OCT).
- London Surf Film Festival (10 to 13 OCT).
- Native Spirit Film Festival (11 to 21 OCT).
COLUMBUS at ArtHouse Crouch End (08 OCT 15:40 & 18:15):
- When a renowned architecture scholar falls suddenly ill during a speaking tour, his son Jin (John Cho) finds himself stranded in Columbus, Indiana – a small Midwestern city celebrated for its many significant modernist buildings. Jin strikes up a friendship with Casey (Haley Lu Richardson), a young architecture enthusiast who works at the local library. As their intimacy develops, Jin and Casey explore both the town and their conflicted emotions.
JALOUSE at Ciné Lumière (08 OCT 20:30):
- Almost overnight, Nathalie Pêcheux, a divorced French teacher, changes from a loving mother into a jealous monster. Her first target is her stunning 18-year-old daughter Mathilde, a ballet dancer, but her field of attack soon extends to her friends, colleagues, and even her neighbours.
KUSAMA – INFINITY at DocHouse (08 OCT 16:30):
- In this compelling doc, director Heather Lenz tells Yayoi Kusama’s story from childhood to present day, in the words of the artist herself. Kusama candidly discusses how her cosmic and obsessive art practice is generated from childhood trauma, and reveals the chronic depression she suffered after well-known artists remodelled her work in their name.
More films in London this week (A – Z): A THOUSAND GIRLS LIKE ME at DocHouse (05 to 11 OCT). BLACK ’47 at ArtHouse Crouch End (05 to 11 OCT). THE GODFATHER at BFI (until 09 OCT). HEREDITARY at Whirled Cinema (08 to 14 OCT). THE MISEDUCATION OF CAMERON POST at The Prince Charles (05 to 11 OCT). THE OSLO DIARIES at DocHouse (05 to 11 OCT). SEARCHING at The Prince Charles (05 to 11 OCT). SKATE KITCHEN at The Prince Charles (05 to 11 OCT). TEHRAN TABOO at ICA (05 to 11 OCT). THIS IS CONGO at The Montpelier (until 10 OCT). THE WIFE at Phoenix (05 to 11 OCT).
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
SIGN UP to our free eNEWS for regular updates about London’s indie cinema scene.
SUBSCRIBE to get our unique SCREEN GUIDE listings delivered directly to your inbox – plus other great rewards! – with a low-cost RADIANT CIRCUS monthly membership.
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We check box office each morning for films in London today and try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.