RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Featured attraction: The People’s Film Club presents 70 YEARS OF NAKBA: A collection of Palestinian Shorts + INTRO/PANEL at Genesis Cinema (08 NOV 18:30), a diverse programme of short films by both young and established Palestinian film-makers.
New at RADIANT CIRCUS: In the first of a new series of posts with our friends at Close-Up, we chat to curator Francesco Maria Carreri about found footage programme NEVER FOUND: ALTERNATE HISTORIES OF THE 20th CENTURY (07 to 15 NOV).
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
70 YEARS OF NAKBA: A collection of Palestinian Shorts + INTRO/PANEL at Genesis Cinema (08 NOV 18:30):
- The People’s Film Club presents: a diverse programme of short films by both young and established Palestinian film-makers. The first part of the programme reflects directly on the events of the Nakba (the 1948 Catastrophe) and the dream of return. The second part explores contemporary experiences, through traditional documentary, docu-drama and the film essay.
- All proceeds to Middle East Children’s Alliance.
THE EXPERIMENTAL CITY + PANEL at DocHouse (08 NOV 18:20):
- Urban Lab Films presents: In the 1960s, renowned scientist, inventor and comic-strip author Athelstan Spilhaus, dreams of a new kind of city environment. Alarmed by a growing environmental crisis in America, he designs a domed metropolis where technology and innovative design eradicate the excessive pollution and waste levels typical in contemporary cityscapes.
OCEAN STORIES – CINE MAR SURF FILM NIGHT at Genesis Cinema (08 NOV 20:30):
- The Cine Mar – Surf Film Night presents the latest and award-winning ocean stories. This time we will change the perspective and take a look behind the scenes. Who are the people behind the camera lenses? Who can produce a surf movie and what exactly does it take?
More films in London today (A – Z):
- BLADE 35mm at The Prince Charles (08 NOV 21:10 – £1 PCC Members Screening).
- THE LITTLE STRANGER at The David Lean (08 NOV 14:30 & 19:30).
- The Miskatonic Institute of Horror Studies – Cabinet of Curiosities: The Strange Case of the Scala Cinema with instructor Jane Giles at The Horse Hospital (08 NOV 19:00).
- MOUCHETTE 35mm at BFI (08 NOV 20:45).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
CINÉ LUMIÈRE 20TH ANNIVERSARY at Ciné Lumière (until 28 NOV):
- RETURN OF THE HERO (08 NOV 18:30).
COMEDY GENIUS at BFI Southbank (OCT 2018 to JAN 2019):
- SOME LIKE IT HOT (08 NOV 18:00 & 20:30).
MAGNIFICENT OBSESSIONS: THE FILMS OF ROSS HUNTER at The Cinema Museum (08 NOV to 20 DEC):
- IMITATION OF LIFE (08 NOV 19:30).
NEVER FOUND: ALTERNATE HISTORIES OF THE 20TH CENTURY at Close-Up (07 to 15 NOV):
- FROM THE POLE TO THE EQUATOR (08 NOV 20:15).
Sight & Sound presents FANTASTIQUE: THE DREAM WORLDS OF FRENCH CINEMA at BFI Southbank (OCT to NOV):
- FALL OF THE HOUSE OF USHER 35mm La Chute De La Maison Usher + LIVE ACCOMPANIMENT by Stephen Horne (08 NOV 18:30).
- ORPHÉE (08 NOV 18:40).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- Doc’n Roll Film Festival (01 to 18 NOV).
- Film Africa (02 to 11 NOV).
- London Korean Film Festival (01 to 25 NOV).
- Utopia: 9th Portuguese Film Festival (30 OCT to 29 NOV).
BLACK MOTHER at ArtHouse Crouch End (08 NOV 18:20):
- Part film, part baptism, director Khalik Allah embarks on a spiritual exploration through Jamaica. Soaking up its bustling metropolises and tranquil countryside, Allah introduces a succession of vividly rendered souls who call the island home.
MIRAI at ICA (08 NOV 13:45):
- Four-year-old Kun has a new baby sister, and the loving attention once lavished on him by his parents appears to evaporate instantly. With his mother and father preoccupied, Kun experiences the arrival of his sister Mirai as competition for their love.
SUSPIRIA (1977) at The Prince Charles (08 NOV 13:20):
- Dario Argento is Europe’s leading horror director and his SUSPIRIA is a masterpiece, situated between art-house aesthetics and splatter gore-fest. Argento’s expressionist hyper-assault on our senses is legendary!
More films in London this week (A – Z): AN EVENING WITH BEVERLY LUFF LINN at The Prince Charles (02 to 08 NOV). THE DEMINER at The Montpellier (until 07 NOV). MANDY at The Prince Charles (until 15 NOV). NAE PASARAN at ICA (02 to o8 NOV). NANCY at Watermans (02 to 08 NOV). PETERLOO at Phoenix Cinema (02 to 08 NOV). PUTIN’S WITNESSES at DocHouse (02 to 08 NOV). REINVENTING MARVIN at Whirled Cinema (05 TO 11 NOV). THE SUMMONING presented by UKJF at JW3 (04 to 07 NOV). THEY’LL LOVE ME WHEN IM DEAD at ICA (02 to 08 NOV). UTØYA – JULY 22 at The Castle Cinema (02 to 08 NOV).
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
SIGN UP to our free eNEWS for regular updates about London’s indie cinema scene.
SUPPORT our work at RADIANT CIRCUS and help promote indie cinema in London. As a Patron, you will get our unique SCREEN GUIDES delivered directly to your inbox, exclusive discounts for screen events and much more!
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.