RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Pablo Mazzolo: Conjectures at Close-Up (09 FEB 15:30):
- Close-Up welcomes Argentinian filmmaker Pablo Mazzolo to present a selection of his Super8 and 16mm works. “Reality crosses the threshold of dreams, and cinema becomes an enveloping sensory experience.” – (S8) Mostra de Cinema Periférico.
NEW AT RADIANT CIRCUS
- SCREEN DIARY: We ventured into the wilds of Waltham Forest to enjoy the Women Over 50 Film Festival’s ‘Best Of The Fest’ pop-up event, part of a new UK tour. Read our writeup.
- VALENTINE’S 2019: Find out what’s screening across London this month in our Valentine’s Day roundup of romantic film events.
- FEBRUARY: Planning ahead? Look no further than our epic roundup of repertory seasons & film festivals for the month ahead.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
Double Bill PHANTASM + PHANTASM II d. Don Coscarelli, 1979 + 1988 at Genesis Cinema (09 FEB 20:30 – FREE! Booking recommended):
- Arrow Films presents: PHANTASM: The residents of a small town have begun dying under strange circumstances, leading young Mike to investigate, discovering that the Tall Man, the town’s mortician, is killing and reanimating the dead as misshapen zombies. PHANTASM II: Years after surviving his encounter with the sinister Tall Man, Mike Pearson, now a mental patient, still has nightmares about the evil gaunt mortician. Upon being released from the institution, Mike and his friends set out to track down the Tall Man and end his murderous and macabre practices.
More films in London today (A – Z):
- AMADEUS d. Milos Forman, 1984 at Everyman Screen On The Green (09 FEB 23:30).
- THE BILL Reunion 3 presented by Misty Moon at The Cinema Museum (09 FEB 19:30).
- CLIMAX d. Gaspar Noé, 2018 at ICA (09 FEB 18:40).
- EXPLODING CINEMA short film programme at The Others (09 FEB 19:00).
- RBG d. Julie Cohen & Betsy West, 2018 at DocHouse (09 FEB 20:30).
- TWISTED PAIR d. Neil Breen, 2018 at The Prince Charles (09 FEB 18:10).
- UN OEIL, UNE HISTOIRE: What do we do when we do art history? + PANELat Birkbeck Cinema (09 FEB 13:00 – FREE!).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
70mm PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles (ongoing):
- ROMA 70mm d. Alfonso Cuarón, 2018 (09 FEB 11:30).
AND THE NOMINEES ARE… OSCARS 2019 at The Prince Charles (until 04 MAY):
- SPIDER-MAN: INTO THE SPIDER-VERSE d. Rodney Rothman, Bob Persichetti & Peter Ramsey, 2018 (09 FEB 13:00).
- ISLE OF DOGS d. Wes Anderson, 2018 (09 FEB 15:45).
- BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY: SING ALONG d. Bryan Singer, 2018 (09 FEB 20:30).
- SHOPLIFTERS d. Hirokazu Koreeda, 2018 (09 FEB 20:45).
BEST OF 2018 at Ciné Lumière (03 to 26 JAN):
- DOGMAN d. Matteo Garrone, 2018 (09 FEB 16:30).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: AND THE ACADEMY AWARD DIDN’T GO TO… at BFI Southbank (FEB):
- PSYCHO d. Alfred Hitchcock, 1960 (09 FEB 20:45 ).
CLOSE-UP ON LUIS BUÑUEL at Close-Up (01 to 27 FEB):
- THE DISCRETE CHARM OF THE BOURGEOISIE d. Luis Buñuel, 1972 (09 FEB 20:00).
EARLY KOREAN CINEMA: LOST FILMS FROM THE JAPANESE COLONIAL PERIOD at BFI Southbank (FEB):
- SWEET DREAM + FISHERMAN’S FIRE 35mm d. Yang Ju-nam, 1936 + Ahn Chul-yeong, 1938 (09 FEB 15:50).
JAPAN FOUNDATION TOURING FILM PROGRAMME: PEOPLE STILL CALL IT LOVE at ICA & Curzon Soho (02 to 21 FEB):
- GOOD STRIPES d. Yukiko Sode, 2015 (09 FEB 13:40).
- PENGUIN HIGHWAY d. Hiroyasu Ishida, 2018 (09 FEB 16:00).
- TONIGHT, AT THE MOVIES/COLOUR ME TRUE d. Hideki Takeuchi, 2018 (09 FEB 18:20).
- THICKER THAN WATER + Q&A with director Keisuke Yoshida, 2018 (09 FEB 20:30).
LOVE? at Deptford Cinema (09 to 23 FEB):
- MY NIGHT AT MAUD’S d. Eric Rohmer, 1969 (09 FEB 19:30).
MICHELANGELO ANTONIONI: CONFRONTING THE MODERN WORLD WITH STYLE at BFI Southbank (JAN to FEB):
- CHINA d. Michelangelo Antonioni, 1972 (09 FEB 13:40).
- Antonioni Short Films (1983-2004) (09 FEB 18:10).
- RED DESERT d. Michelangelo Antonioni, 1964 (09 FEB 20:40).
STARRING BARBARA STANWYCK at BFI Southbank (FEB to MAR):
- GOLDEN BOY 35mm d. Rouben Mamoulian, 1939 (09 FEB 18:30).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- Stereo Spasms Festival: Celebrating Luc Ferrari at 90 (07 to 14 FEB).
AMÉRICA d. Erick Stoll & Chase Whiteside, 2018 at DocHouse (09 FEB 16:30):
- An astonishingly tender observational film about three brothers caring for their 93-year-old grandmother, América. What initially seems to be a narrative about one of the brothers just passing the time by the beach suddenly shifts when their dad is charged with neglecting América.
IF BEALE STREET COULD TALK d. Barry Jenkins, 2019 at Rich Mix (09 FEB 15:15, 18:00 & 20:45):
- Set in early 1970s Harlem, IF BEALE STREET COULD TALK tells the story of Tish and Fonny. The couple’s sweet romance is horribly derailed when Fonny is falsely accused of rape and imprisoned. Tish and their families race to clear his name before their baby is born.
YELLOW IS FORBIDDEN d. Pietra Brettkelly, 2018 at DocHouse (09 FEB 18:20):
- Givenchy, Lagerfeld, Chanel, Dior Gaultier… It is perhaps the most exclusive club in the world. 21. Mostly men. European. Now there may be another name added to that list. From a country with the world’s largest population, Guo Pei is China’s only haute couture designer, with one of her pieces taking 50,000 painstaking hours to complete.
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- ALL IS TRUE d. Kenneth Branagh, 2018 at ArtHouse Crouch End (08 to 14 FEB). BOY ERASED d. Joel Edgerton, 2018 at Picturehouse Central (08 to 14 FEB – Other Picturehouses available!). BURNING d. Lee Chang-dong, 2018 at Watermans (08 to 14 FEB). CAN YOU EVER FORGIVE ME? d. Marielle Heller, 2018 at JW3 (until 14 FEB). COLETTE d. Wash Westmoreland, 2018 at The Prince Charles (08 to 14 FEB). THE FAVOURITE d. Yorgos Lanthimos, 2018 at Ciné Lumière (08 to 13 FEB). FREE SOLO d. Jimmy Chin & Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi, 2018 at ICA (until 13 FEB). GREEN BOOK d. Peter Farrelly, 2018 at The Castle Cinema (until 14 FEB). HALE COUNTY THIS MORNING, THIS EVENING d. RaMell Ross, 2018 at BFI (08 to 11 FEB). LEAVE NO TRACE d. Debra Granik, 2018 at Whirled Cinema (11 to 17 FEB). MARY QUEEN OF SCOTS d. Josie Rourke, 2018 at Regent Street Cinema (until 13 FEB). ONE CUT OF THE DEAD d. Shinichiro Ueda, 2018 at The Prince Charles (until 13 FEB). SHOPLIFTERS d. Hirokazu Kore-eda, 2018 at ICA (until 14 FEB). VICE d. Adam McKay, 2018 at The Lexi (until 14 FEB).
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
SIGN UP to our free eNEWS for regular updates about London’s indie cinema scene.
SUPPORT our work at RADIANT CIRCUS and help promote indie cinema in London. As a Patron, you will get our unique SCREEN GUIDES delivered directly to your inbox, exclusive discounts for screen events and much more!
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.