RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
CALM WITH HORSES d. Nick Rowland, 2019 + Intro by the director at BFI Southbank (09 MAR 20:40):
- “In rural Ireland, Arm, an ex-boxer, splits his time between being the hired muscle for the local drug-dealing Dever family, and trying to be a good father to his autistic five-year-old son. The equilibrium of these two worlds is threatened when the Devers ask Arm to kill for the first time.”
> MORE Get the RADIANT CIRCUS view of this week’s unmissable events.
Keep RADIANT CIRCUS listing far into the future by taking out a low cost monthly subscription at Patreon: get great rewards & help us continue to build & grow. THANK YOU!
NEW AT RADIANT CIRCUS
Read our epic MARCH roundup of all London’s repertory seasons & film festivals.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
PORTRAIT OF A LADY ON FIRE d. Céline Sciamma, 2019 + Recorded intro by the director + Live performance by Kit Griffiths at Curzon Soho (09 MAR 18:15):
- Birds’ Eye View #ReclaimTheFrame presents: “Céline Sciamma’s sumptuously beautiful Cannes prize-winner is one of cinema’s most compelling visions of the power of desire. Set in late 18th century France, painter Marianne (Noémie Merlant) is commissioned by an affluent countess to paint the wedding portrait of her sheltered daughter Héloïse (Adèle Haenel) so she can be appraised by a suitor across the sea.”
More films in London today (A – Z):
- THE APARTMENT d. Billy Wilder, 1960 presented by The Good Company Film Club at Redbridge Drama Centre (09 MAR 11:00).
- A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE d. Elia Kazan, 1951 at Olympic Studios (09 MAR 18:00).
- BACKBEAT 35mm d. Iain Softley, 1994 at The Prince Charles (09 MAR 20:45).
- CORPUS CHRISTI d. Jan Komasa, 2019 at Watermans (09 MAR 15:15).
- DOGS DON’T WEAR PANTS aka Koirat Eivät Käytä Housuja d. JP Valkeapää, 2019 Preview at BFI (09 MAR 18:10).
- FOR SAMA d. Waad al-Kateab & Edward Watts, 2019 at DocHouse (09 MAR 18:30).
- THE HOST d. Bong Joon-ho, 2006 at Genesis Cinema (09 MAR 18:15).
- MR. JONES d. Agnieszka Holland, 2019 at Phoenix Cinema (09 MAR 17:30).
- New Writings: Star Attractions: Twentieth-Century Movie Magazines and Global Fandom talk at BFI (09 MAR 18:30).
- NICK MASON’S SAUCERFUL OF SECRETES: LIVE AT THE ROUNDHOUSE d. James Tonkin, 2020 + Intro by Nick Mason at Picturehouse Central (09 MAR 18:30).
- PLAY MISTY FOR ME d. Clint Eastwood, 1971 at Dulwich Picture Gallery (09 MAR 19:30).
> SIGN UP for free Friday emails highlighting 7 days of sensational screens.
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
1999 – 2019: EXPLORING 20 YEARS OF SCI-FI at The Prince Charles (2020):
- COLOR OUT OF SPACE d. Richard Stanley, 2019 (until 12 MAR/Check venue to details).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: MAN VS NATURE at BFI Southbank (MAR):
- JAWS d. Steven Spielberg, 1975 (09 MAR 18:00).
CLOSE UP: CÉLINE SCIAMMA at BFI Southbank (MAR):
- New Releases: PORTRAIT OF A LADY ON FIRE d. Céline Sciamma, 2019 (until 12 MAR).
ELIA KAZAN: THE ACTORS’ DIRECTOR at BFI Southbank (FEB to MAR):
- THE ARRANGEMENT 35mm d. Elia Kazan, 1969 (09 MAR 20:30).
ESSENTIAL CINEMA at Close-Up (DEC to MAR):
- THE SERVANT d. Joseph Losey, 1963 (09 MAR 20:15).
HER LENS, HIS STORY: FEMALE DIRECTORS & MASCULINITIES at Barbican (26 FEB to 10 MAR):
- GONE TOO FAR! d. Destiny Ekaragha, 2013 + Intro by the director (09 MAR 18:30).
ROBERT EGGERS at The Prince Charles (FEB to MAR):
- THE LIGHTHOUSE d. Robert Eggers, 2019 (until 12 MAR/Check venue for details).
TILDA SWINTON at BFI Southbank (MAR):
- MAN TO MAN d. John Maybury, 1992 + Short: CAPRICE d. Joanna Hogg, 1986 (09 MAR 20:50).
WOMEN’S HISTORY MONTH at DocHouse (MAR):
- TONI MORRISON: THE PIECES I AM d. Timothy Greenfield-Sanders, 2019 (until 12 MAR/Check venue for details).
> SUBSCRIBE to get our full listings emailed & support #LDNindieFILM.
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
TONI MORRISON: THE PIECES I AM d. Timothy Greenfield-Sanders, 2019 at ArtHouse Crouch End (09 MAR 12:00 & 17:30):
- “An artful and intimate meditation on the life and works of the legendary storyteller and Nobel Prize winner – from her childhood in the steel town of Lorain, Ohio to ’70s era book tours with Muhammad Ali – from the front lines with Angela Davis to her own riverfront writing room. Toni Morrison leads an assembly of her peers, critics and colleagues on an exploration of race, America, history and the human condition as seen through the prism of her own literature.”
VITALINA VARELA d. Pedro Costa, 2019 at Barbican (09 MAR – Not screening today/Returns 11 MAR):
- “The latest film from Pedro Costa, which follows a Cape Verdean woman left behind when her husband leaves to find work in Portugal. Years later, the titular Vitalina finally makes the journey to Lisbon herself but arrives three days after her husband’s funeral.”
WOMEN’S DAY d. Dolya Gavanski, 2019 at DocHouse (09 MAR 14:00):
- “As an actress in London, director Dolya Gavanski has played a dizzying array of Russian stereotypes from spies to prostitutes and oligarchs’ wives. But the women she remembered from her Soviet days were different. Gavanski sets out to hear the stories of the women who shaped the narrative of 20th century USSR, including the Nobel Prize for Literature winning author Svetlana Alexievich, internet sensation Elena Krygina and exiled feminist dissident Natalya Malakhovskaya.”
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- COLOR OUT OF SPACE d. Richard Stanley, 2019 at The Prince Charles (until 12 MAR). DARK WATERS d. Todd Haynes, 2019 at Genesis Cinema (until 12 MAR). EMMA d. Autumn de Wilde, 2020 at Catford Mews (until 12 MAR). ESCAPE FROM PRETORIA d. Francis Annan, 2020 at JW3 (06 to 12 MAR). THE FAREWELL d. Lulu Wang, 2019 at Whirled Cinema (09 to 15 MAR). THE LIGHTHOUSE d. Robert Eggers, 2019 at The Prince Charles (until 12 MAR). LITTLE JOE d. Jessica Hausner, 2019 at ICA (06 to 12 MAR). PARASITE d. Bong Joon-ho, 2019 at Rich Mix (until 12 MAR). PORTRAIT OF A LADY ON FIRE d. Céline Sciamma, 2019 at ArtHouse Crouch End (until 12 MAR). PUSH d. Fredrik Gertten, 2019 at Rio Cinema (until 12 MAR). QUEEN & SLIM d. Melina Matsoukas, 2019 at Genesis Cinema (until 12 MAR). THE TRUE HISTORY OF THE KELLY GANG d. Justin Kurzel, 2019 at Catford Mews (06 to 12 MAR). WAITING FOR ANYA d. Ben Cookson, 2019 presented by UKJF at JW3 (until 12 MAR).
Subscribe & support
“Home of alternative screen culture in London” (Film London)
RADIANT CIRCUS is supported entirely by readers’ monthly subscriptions. Subscribers get our unique listings emailed as well as other great rewards. With enough subscribers backing us, we will be able to: 1) keep listing far into the future, 2) expand our content to explore more indie screen events, & 3) recruit & reward a team of new contributors. Our target in 2020? One hundred new monthly subscribers supporting what they love so that many more can discover it. Subscribe at patreon.com/radiantcircus
“I love everything you’re doing with RADIANT CIRCUS, the output is brilliant. And just so great to see it grow. Kudos to you.” (A fan via email!).
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.