SCREEN GUIDE DAILY: Films in London today 09.04.19
RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Find films in London today by: SINGLE-O EXHIBITS (one-off attractions) // MUSEUM SHOWS (several exhibits under one roof – seasons & festivals) // GRIND SHOWS (a selection of regular runs).
SHIRAZ: A ROMANCE OF INDIA d. Franz Osten, 1928 + LIVE SCORE by Anoushka Shankar at Royal Festival Hall (09 APR 19:30):
- “A lavish spectacle with a cast of thousands, SHIRAZ: A ROMANCE OF INDIA was shot entirely on location in India and released in 1928. It is the tale of a great love: the fictionalised backstory behind India’s most iconic building, the Taj Mahal, the monument built by a Moghul emperor in the memory of his beloved queen.”
NEW AT RADIANT CIRCUS
- Each month we travel across London to see as many of our featured attractions as we can. We’ve posted our screening notes from last month [MARCH]. Not all journeys ended well…
- We’ve posted our epic roundup of London’s repertory seasons & film festivals for APRIL. Our featured attraction of the month BORN DIGITAL: RAISED BY THE INTERNET continues today with TEAM HURRICANE d. Annika Berg, 2017 (09 APR 21:10, BFI).
- Filmmaker Gerry Maguire introduces a new series of sci-fi screenings where cult classics set in 2019 have become our DAYS OF FUTURE PAST.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
THE GHOUL d. Gareth Tunley, 2017 + Q&A with producer Jack Guttmann at Curzon Wimbledon (09 APR 20:30):
- Wimbledon Film Club presents: “As a detective, Chris (Tom Meeten), investigates a double murder, the case begins to indicate the best way to follow up leads is to go undercover as a patient seeking psychotherapy for depression. What follows is a sinister story where nothing and no one seems reliable and Chris begins to doubt himself.”
Shorts On Lovers short film programme at Regent Street Cinema (09 APR 19:30):
- CinemaItaliaUK presents: “An evening of award winning short films on LGBT+ lives and loves, in collaboration with Shorts on Tap and the Lovers Film Festival Turin.”
More films in London today (A – Z):
- A DEAL WITH THE UNIVERSE d. Jason barker, 2018 + Q&A with the director at DocHouse (09 APR 18:30).
- BORDER d. Ali Abbasi, 2018 at Ciné Lumière (09 APR 18:20).
- CAN YOU EVER FORGIVE ME? d. Marielle Heller, 2018 at The Prince Charles (09 APR 21:00).
- CAPERNAUM d. Nadine Labaki, 2018 at The David Lean (09 APR 19:30).
- COLUMBUS d. Kogonada, 2017 at Deptford Cinema (09 APR 19:30).
- THE FAVOURITE d. Yorgos Lanthimos, 2018 at The Prince Charles (09 APR 13:30).
- IF BEALE STREET COULD TALK d. Barry Jenkins, 2018 at The Prince Charles (09 APR 18:15).
- LOST HIGHWAY d. David Lynch, 1997 presented by Tufnell Park Film Club at The Lord Palmerston (09 APR 20:00).
- MID90s d. Jonah Hill, 2018 at Picturehouse Central (09 APR 18:30 – Other Picturehouses available!).
- New Shoots with OLD BOYS Director Toby MacDonald & Writer Toby MacDonald presented by Shooting People at Rich Mix (09 APR 19:00).
- THE PONDS d. Patrick McLennan and Samuel Smith, 2018 at The Prince Charles (09 APR 16:15).
- SHAUN OF THE DEAD 35mm d. Edgar Wright, 2004 at The Prince Charles (09 APR 20:45).
- SOYALISM d. Enrico Parenti & Stefano Liberti, 2018 at DocHouse (09 APR 18:30).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: THE MEANINGS OF LIFE at BFI Southbank (APR):
BORN DIGITAL: RAISED BY THE INTERNET at BFI Southbank (APR):
- TEAM HURRICANE d. Annika Berg, 2017 (09 APR 21:10).
CLOSE-UP ON SERGEI PARAJANOV at Close-Up (until 09 APR MAR):
- THE COLOUR OF POMEGRANATES d. Sergei Parajanov, 1969 (09 APR 20:15).
JOHN WATERS SELECTROSPECTIVE at The Prince Charles (04 MAR to 26 JUN 2019):
- FEMALE TROUBLE d. John Waters, 1974 (09 APR 18:25).
KUBRICK at BFI Southbank (APR to MAY):
- A CLOCKWORK ORANGE d. Stanley Kubrick, 1971 enjoys a grind show run (05 to 30 APR).
POETRY IN MOTION: CONTEMPORARY IRANIAN CINEMA at Barbican (03 to 24 APR):
- BRAVING THE WAVES d. Mina Keshavarz, 2016 + Q&A + LIVE POETRY (09 APR 18:30).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- Ecofutures (04 to 19 APR).
- Kinoteka Polish Film Festival (04 to 18 APR).
- London Games Festival (02 to 14 APR).
- London Independent Film Festival (05 to 15 APR).
- Taiwan Film Festival (03 to 14 APR).
A CLOCKWORK ORANGE d. Stanley Kubrick, 1971 at Peckhamplex (09 APR 17:30 & 20:35):
- “Stanley Kubrick’s adaptation of Anthony Burgess’s decline-of-civilisation novel remains a chilling, thrilling and unsettling cinematic vision of nihilistic violence and social control. Set in a flamboyantly stylised near-future where gangs of disenfranchised teenagers indulge in narcotic cocktails and revel in acts of ‘ultraviolence’, the film centres on Alex (McDowell) and his band of droogs.”
THE REST I MAKE UP d. Michelle Memran, 2018 at ICA (09 APR 13:45 & 17:00):
- “An affecting documentary portrait born out of an almost two-decade-long friendship between filmmaker Michelle Memran and Cuban-American playwright María Irene Fornés.”
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- 3 FACES d. Jafar Panahi, 2018 at Watermans (05 to 10 APR). ALIEN d. Ridley Scott, 1979 at The Prince Charles (05 to 10 APR). AT ETERNITY’S GATE d. Julian Schnabel, 2018 at Rio Cinema (until 11 APR). BLADE RUNNER : THE FINAL CUT d. Ridley Scott, 1982 at The Prince Charles (05 to 11 APR). BORDER d. Ali Abassi, 2018 at ICA (05 to 10 APR). BURNINGd. Chang-dong Lee, 2018 at Whirled Cinema (08 to 14 APR). CHILDREN OF THE SNOW LAND d. Zara Balfour & Marcus Stephenson, 2018 at DocHouse (06 to 10 APR). COLLISIONS d. Lynette Wallworth at Barbican (10 to 20 APR – daily VR viewing times – limited numbers). EATEN BY LIONS d. Jason Wingard, 2018 at Peckhamplex (05 to 11 APR). FREE SOLO d. Jimmy Chin & Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi, 2018 at The Prince Charles (05 to 11 APR). GIRL d. Lukas Dhont, 2018 at Watermans (06 to 10 APR). HAPPY AS LAZZARO d. Alice Rohrwacher, 2018 at ArtHouse Crouch End (05 to 11 APR). HOLY LANDSd. Amanda Sthers, 2018 presented by UKJF at JW3 (07 to 18 APR). THE IMAGE YOU MISSED d. Dónal Foreman, 2018 at ICA (05 to 09 APR). LAST BREATH d. Alex Parkinson & Richard da Costa, 2019 at DocHouse (05 to 11 APR). MARY QUEEN OF SCOTS d. Josie Rourke, 2018 at JW3 (05 to 10 APR). THE PANAMA PAPERSd. Alex Winters, 2018 at DocHouse (until 11 APR). THE SISTERS BROTHERS d. Jacques Audiard, 2018 at The Castle Cinema (05 to 11 APR). US d. Jordan Peele, 2019 at Rich Mix (until 10 APR). THE WHITE CROW d. Ralph Fiennes, 2018 at ArtHouse Crouch End (until 11 APR).
Discover more #LDNindieFILM
Follow us: Twitter @radiantcircus | Instagram @radiantcircus
Sign up for free Friday emails, 7 days of sensational screens.
Subscribe & support
RADIANT CIRCUS is supported by readers’ monthly subscriptions, which start at just £2.99/month. Subscribers get our listings emailed directly as well as other great rewards. With enough subscribers backing us, we will be able to: 1) establish RADIANT CIRCUS as a permanent resource; 2) fund a full site rebuild to make our listings more social and searchable; and, 3) stage free events for subscribers as our way of saying a huge thank you! Our target? One thousand passionate film fans sharing what they love so that many more can discover it. Subscribe at patreon.com/radiantcircus
“A lot of love, time & effort being put into these really useful & comprehensive listings.” (A fan, via Twitter).
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.