RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Featured attraction: MUBI presents COCOTE at Genesis Cinema (09 AUG 21:00): “Dominican Republic film-maker Nelson Carlo de Los Santos Arias’s gorgeous, restlessly creative hybrid fiction combines ethnographic documentary with improvised drama to explore a clash of two religious identities.” – Simran Hans, The Guardian.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
COCOTE at Genesis Cinema (09 AUG 21:00):
- MUBI presents: A sensory portrait of the syncretic landscape in the Dominican Republic, Cocote takes ethical expectations and family feuds as its focus. The film follows evangelical Christian Alberto as he returns home to attend the funeral of his murdered father and finds that he is expected to take part in rituals that are in conflict with his beliefs.
- All ticket holders will get a free month of MUBI.
HAROLD LLOYD: SAFETY LAST! + LIVE ACCOMPANIMENT at Wilton’s Music Hall (09 AUG 19:30):
- This summer The Lucky Dog Picturehouse is back at Wilton’s Music Hall for a week of iconic silent comedies with live original score. A publicity stunt gets out of hand and leads to a death-defying police chase as hapless hero Harold Lloyd attempts to simultaneously impress his girlfriend and save his job.
SUICIDE ON FILM at Moth Club (09 AUG 19:00):
- Deeper Into Movies presents ON FILM: a feature-length portrait of iconic and singular artists in music. For this one, the team have dug through the Vega / Rev archives: Interviews, documentaries, live performances, behind the scenes, old VHS tapes, Youtube, fan footage, short films and notorious live shows to bring a perfectly curated 90 min collage of one of the most fascinating figures in experimental music.
More films in London today (A – Z):
- BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY’S at Rooftop Film Club, Peckham (09 AUG 20:30).
- EXTINCTION at ICA (09 AUG 14:45).
- HOWL’S MOVING CASTLE at Hackney Picturehouse (09 AUG 20:30).
- THE HUNGRY at Regent Street Cinema (09 AUG 19:30) – Read our LFF2017 writeup here.
- IN THE CUT at BFI (09 AUG 20:40).
- POINT BREAK at Rooftop Film Club, Stratford (09 AUG 20:30).
- SUMMER 1993 at The Castle Cinema (09 AUG 19:00).
- TIME TRIAL at Picturehouse Central (09 AUG 18:45 – Other Picturehouses available!).
- TV Preview: BOLLYWOOD: THE WORLD BIGGEST FILM INDUSTRY + Q&A with presenter Anita Rani plus guests at BFI Southbank (09 AUG 18:15).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
AGNÈS VARDA: GLEANING TRUTHS various venues (AUG to SEP):
AS IF… at The Prince Charles (until 28 SEP):
- DAZED AND CONFUSED (09 AUG 21:00).
FIERCE: THE UNTAMEABLE JOAN CRAWFORD at BFI Southbank (AUG to OCT):
- THE BRIDE WORE RED 35mm (09 AUG 18:30).
REBEL WITH A CAUSE at Bertha DocHouse (until 15 AUG):
- LAILA AT THE BRIDGE (09 AUG 20:30).
REBELS WITH A CAUSE at the Korean Cultural Centre (until 23 AUG – Free!):
- THE BAREFOOTED YOUNG (09 AUG 19:00).
SUMMER IN THE CITY at Genesis Cinema (06 to 30 AUG – tickets £5!):
- PLEIN SOLEIL (09 AUG 18:30).
WIM WENDERS at The Prince Charles (until 30 AUG):
- PARIS, TEXAS 35mm (09 AUG 15:15).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
We don’t think there are any film festivals projecting in London today. But that means we’ve probably missed something…
> Let us know in the comments below.
EL MAR LA MAR at ICA (09 AUG 18:30):
- Influenced by the Sensory Ethnography Lab’s advocacy of innovative combinations of aesthetics and ethnography, EL MAR LA MAR sits between experimental anthropological essay and imagistic film poem. The 16mm footage deliberately overwhelms with open space, massive skies and landscapes shimmering in deathly heat.
PUNK VOYAGE at DocHouse (09 AUG 13:40):
- This invigorating new documentary follows Finnish Punk rock band Pertti Kurikan Nimipäivät (PKN) as they face the glory and struggle that comes with fame. After becoming celebrities in Finland, the radical four continue to dominate worldwide, playing nearly 300 gigs in 16 countries.
SICILIAN GHOST STORY at ArtHouse Couch End (09 AUG 15:00 & 20:30):
- Set in a little Sicilian village at the edge of a forest, this is the story of adolescent innocence and painful reality. Giuseppe (Fernandez) is the son of a man with mafia connections who has turned informer. One day, this 13 year-old boy vanishes, kidnapped by those his father crossed. Luna (Jedlikowska), his classmate who loves him, refuses to accept his mysterious disappearance.
More films in London this week (A – Z): APOSTASY at BFI (03 to 09 AUG). THE APPARITION at Phoenix Cinema (03 to 09 AUG). COCOTE at ICA (03 to 09 AUG). DAMASCUS COVER at Rio Cinema (03 to 09 AUG). GENERATION WEALTH at JW3 (05 to 09 AUG). IN THE FADE at Whirled Cinema (06 to 12 AUG). MADAME at JW3 (06 to 09 AUG). MAURICE at BFI (03 to 09 AUG). PEOPLE’S REPUBLIC OF DESIRE at DocHouse (03 to 08 AUG). TRACKING EDITH at ArtHouse Crouch End (03 to 09 AUG).
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
Get our SCREEN GUIDES delivered directly to your inbox – plus other great rewards – with a low-cost RADIANT CIRCUS monthly membership, available exclusively at Patreon.
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We check box office each morning for films in London today and try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.