RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Featured attraction: Trigger Warning: Films of Tessa Hughes-Freeland at The Horse Hospital (09 OCT 19:00): “A selection of films by Tessa Hughes-Freeland introduced by the artist; an important figure in New York’s downtown arts community and The Cinema of Transgression.”
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
FEMALE HUMAN ANIMAL + Q&A with director Josh Appignanesi, subject & co-devisor Chloe Aridjis & actor Juliet Jacques at Rio Cinema (09 OCT 18:30):
- This innovative, hybrid docu-drama follows Chloe Aridjis, the acclaimed Latin American novelist, as she curates a retrospective on Surrealist painter Leonora Carrington, researching the celebrated artist’s life in London.
Trigger Warning: Films of Tessa Hughes-Freeland at The Horse Hospital (09 OCT 19:00):
- A selection of films by Tessa Hughes-Freeland introduced by the artist; an important figure in New York’s downtown arts community and The Cinema of Transgression.
More films in London today (A – Z):
- BLACKkKLANSMAN at Regent Street Cinema (09 OCT 19:30).
- NIGHT AND THE CITY part of London Nights at Barbican (09 OCT 18:30).
- PERSONA at BFI (09 OCT 18:20).
- REINVENTING MARVIN at Picturehouse Central (09 OCT 18:30 – Other Picturehouses available!).
- THE RIDER at The David Lean (09 OCT 19:30).
- STROSZEK presented by Tufnell Park Film Club at The Lord Palmerston (09 OCT 20:00).
- US AND THEM at The Prince Charles (09 OCT 18:30).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
BLACK AND BANNED at BFI Southbank (OCT):
- “The films you weren’t allowed to see: drama and documentaries that offer unique and challenging perspectives.” Includes: WINNIE + Q&A with Cecil Gutzmore (09 OCT 18:10); and, BLACK POWER SALUTE + Tommie Smith in Skype conversation (09 OCT 20:30).
FIERCE: THE UNTAMEABLE JOAN CRAWFORD at BFI Southbank (OCT):
- STRAIT-JACKET (09 OCT 20:45).
HORROROCTOBER at Prince Charles (OCT):
WORKING CLASS HEROES at BFI Southbank (SEP to OCT):
- BEND IT LIKE BECKHAM 35mm (09 OCT 18:15).
- BILLY LIAR (09 OCT 20:40).
- Whose Story?: Working Class Women On Screen (09 OCT 20:30 – Free for ticket holders of BEND IT LIKE BECKHAM).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
We don’t think there are any film festivals projecting in London today, but that probably means we’ve missed something…
> Let us know in the comments below.
Coming soon to a screen near you…
- BFI London Film Festival (10 to 21 OCT).
- London Surf Film Festival (10 to 13 OCT).
- Native Spirit Film Festival (11 to 21 OCT).
COLUMBUS at ArtHouse Crouch End (09 OCT 13:15 Babes In Arms / 16:35):
- When a renowned architecture scholar falls suddenly ill during a speaking tour, his son Jin (John Cho) finds himself stranded in Columbus, Indiana – a small Midwestern city celebrated for its many significant modernist buildings. Jin strikes up a friendship with Casey (Haley Lu Richardson), a young architecture enthusiast who works at the local library. As their intimacy develops, Jin and Casey explore both the town and their conflicted emotions.
JALOUSE at Ciné Lumière (09 OCT TBC):
- Almost overnight, Nathalie Pêcheux, a divorced French teacher, changes from a loving mother into a jealous monster. Her first target is her stunning 18-year-old daughter Mathilde, a ballet dancer, but her field of attack soon extends to her friends, colleagues, and even her neighbours.
KUSAMA – INFINITY at DocHouse (09 OCT 18:30):
- In this compelling doc, director Heather Lenz tells Yayoi Kusama’s story from childhood to present day, in the words of the artist herself. Kusama candidly discusses how her cosmic and obsessive art practice is generated from childhood trauma, and reveals the chronic depression she suffered after well-known artists remodelled her work in their name.
More films in London this week (A – Z): A THOUSAND GIRLS LIKE ME at DocHouse (05 to 11 OCT). BLACK ’47 at ArtHouse Crouch End (05 to 11 OCT). THE GODFATHER at BFI (until 09 OCT). HEREDITARY at Whirled Cinema (08 to 14 OCT). THE MISEDUCATION OF CAMERON POST at The Prince Charles (05 to 11 OCT). THE OSLO DIARIES at DocHouse (05 to 11 OCT). SEARCHING at The Prince Charles (05 to 11 OCT). SKATE KITCHEN at The Prince Charles (05 to 11 OCT). TEHRAN TABOO at ICA (05 to 11 OCT). THIS IS CONGO at The Montpelier (until 10 OCT). THE WIFE at Phoenix (05 to 11 OCT).
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
SIGN UP to our free eNEWS for regular updates about London’s indie cinema scene.
SUBSCRIBE to get our unique SCREEN GUIDE listings delivered directly to your inbox – plus other great rewards! – with a low-cost RADIANT CIRCUS monthly membership.
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We check box office each morning for films in London today and try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.