RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Featured attraction: The Celluloid Sorceress presents the UK premiere of LOVE, GILDA + Q&A with director Lisa D’Apolito at Phoenix Cinema (09 DEC 14:00), an “acclaimed documentary on the tragically short life and hilarious career of Gilda Radner, the first superstar of Saturday Night Live and a comedy icon.”
New at RADIANT CIRCUS:
We interviewed guest curator Eleonora Pesci about THE PURSUIT OF WHOLENESS, a programme which pays tribute to avant-garde filmmaker Gregory Markopoulos at Close-Up Film Centre (07 to 09 DEC) > HERE.
RaMell Ross’ documentary HALE COUNTY THIS MORNING, THIS EVENING (2018) previewed at ICA last week followed by a conversation between the filmmaker & ICA Assistant Curator, Ifeanyi Awachie (04 DEC 2018). Read our RADIANT CIRCUS writeup > HERE.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
CAROL + DISCUSSION at The Yard Theatre (09 DEC 19:00):
- Queer Cinema Club presents a discussion of the role of non-LGBTQ+ actors in queer cinema followed by a screening of the multi-award-winning (and Xmas themed) CAROL.
LA PROFEZIA DELL’ARMADILLO at Genesis Cinema (09 DEC 18:00):
- CinemaItaliaUK presents the UK premiere of Emanuele Scaringi’s film based on the graphic novels by ZeroCalcare. Zero is a procrastinating twenty-something guy living in the suburbs of Rome who deals daily with demotivating temporary jobs, his friendship with Secco and the presence of a giant Armadillo working as his conscience and advisor. Drinks follow the screening.
LITTLE MEN + Q&A with actor Paulina Garcia at ICA (09 DEC 18:30):
- Money worries and entitlement impinge on a flourishing teenage friendship.
LOVE, GILDA + Q&A with director Lisa D’Apolito at Phoenix Cinema (09 DEC 14:00):
- The Celluloid Sorceress presents the UK premiere of director Lisa D’Apolito’s acclaimed documentary on the tragically short life and hilarious career of Gilda Radner, the first superstar of Saturday Night Live and a comedy icon. After the screening, Lisa D’Apolito will be in conversation with Rebecca Nicole Williams.
More films in London today (A – Z):
- 9 TO 5 at BFI (09 DEC 15:10).
- AN ELEPHANT SITTING STILL UK premiere at ICA (09 DEC 14:00).
- BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY’S presented by Deptford Cinema Book & Film Club at Deptford Cinema (09 DEC 14:30).
- THE CABINET OF DR. CALIGARI + LIVE SCORE by The Cabinet of Living Cinema at Harris Academy South Norwood (09 DEC 19:00).
- Earth as History: Moving Images and Ecologies in Southeast Asia short film programme presented by CREAM at Close-Up (09 DEC 13:30).
- THE IMAGE BOOK at ICA (09 DEC 16:00).
- IT’S A WONDERFUL LIFE + Mince Pies & Mulled Wine at Genesis Cinema (09 DEC 15:10).
- IT’S A WONDERFUL LIFE presented by NOMAD at The Hoxton (09 DEC 19:30).
- THE LAST MOVIE + INTRO by Iain Sinclair at Curzon Soho (09 DEC 15:00).
- LEMON TREE presented by London Socialist Film Co-op at Bolivar Hall (09 DEC 11:00).
- THE LEOPARD at BFI (09 DEC 16:20).
- MCQUEEN presented by Stow Film Lounge at Mirth, Marvel & Maud (09 DEC 14:15).
- THE MUPPET CHRISTMAS CAROL at Genesis Cinema (09 DEC 13:00).
- THE MUPPET CHRISTMAS CAROL at Picturehouse Central (09 DEC 15:30 – Other Picturehouses available!).
- POND LIFE at Picturehouse Central (09 DEC 20:25).
- PRIDE & PREJUDICE: Pyjama Party Marathon presented by That Time Of The Month at The Book Club (09 DEC 13:00).
- RAMS at Barbican (09 DEC 13:45).
- THE RIDER at Whirled Cinema (09 DEC 18:00).
- SUSPIRIA (2018) at Barbican (09 DEC 20:00).
- WIDOWS at The Castle Cinema (09 DEC 19:45).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
70mm PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles (ongoing):
- DIE HARD 70mm (09 DEC 20:45).
A CINEMA OF FORKING PATHS – FILMS INSPIRED BY BORGES! at The Horse Hospital & Curzon Bloomsbury (05 to 11 DEC):
- EXTRAORDINARY STORIES (09 DEC 10:30, Curzon Bloomsbury).
ANIMATION 2018 at BFI Southbank (2018):
- The Christmas Short Films + Q&A with directors Dave Unwin & Richard Williams (09 DEC 15:00 – Sold Out!).
CHRISTMAS AT THE PCC at The Prince Charles (30 NOV to 24 DEC):
- ELF (09 DEC 13:00).
- ELF Quote-A-Long (09 DEC 15:15).
- THE MUPPET CHRISTMAS CAROL Sing-A-Long (09 DEC 16:00 & 18:20).
- IT’S A WONDERFUL LIFE (09 DEC 21:00).
COMEDIES MADE IN FRANCE at Ciné Lumière (02 DEC to 16 JAN):
- BUFFET FROID aka Cold Cuts (09 DEC 14:00).
- RETURN OF THE HERO aka Le Retour du Héros (09 DEC 20:30).
COMEDY COUPLES at Barbican (05 to 13 DEC):
- IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT (09 DEC 15:45).
COMEDY GENIUS at BFI Southbank (OCT 2018 to JAN 2019):
- OPEN ALL NIGHT 35mm + INTRO by Bryony Dixon + LIVE ACCOMPANIMENT by Meg Morley (09 DEC 13:30).
- THE GREAT DICTATOR (09 DEC 17:25).
- THE APARTMENT (09 DEC 20:00).
HOUSE OF VANS DOES XMAS: 90S DOUBLE BILLS at House Of Vans (09 to 16 DEC – Free! / No booking required):
- ALL I WANT FOR CHRISTMAS + MIRACLE ON 34TH STREET (09 DEC 14:00 & 16:00).
THE PURSUIT OF WHOLENESS at Close-Up (07 to 09 DEC):
- THE ILLIAC PASSION 16mm (09 DEC 20:00).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- ArteKino Festival (01 to 31 DEC – various venues & online).
- Cinema Of Brazil: Female Perspectives (08 to 11 DEC).
- Disability Film Festival (07 to 09 DEC).
- French Film Festival (07 NOV to 09 DEC).
- London Film Week (04 to 10 DEC).
- London International Animation Festival (30 NOV to 09 DEC).
METEORS at ICA (09 DEC 14:15):
- At night, in a Kurdish town in eastern Turkey, meteors start to fall. Stepping out of their homes to look, the city’s inhabitants encounter fragments of the past and remember those who have been lost.
SORRY TO BOTHER YOU at Rio Cinema (09 DEC 15:30, 18:00 & 20:45):
- In an alternate present-day version of Oakland, California, Cassius “Cash” Green lives with his girlfriend Detroit in his Uncle’s garage. A job as a telemarketer introduces him to the key to professional success – using his “white voice”. But success as a Power Caller also opens the door to a macabre universe…
THEATRE OF WAR at DocHouse (09 DEC 18:30):
- A mix of Argentinian and British veterans are brought together to re-enact their experiences during the Falklands War. Through a handful of staged sequences, they revisit the visions that haunt them and discuss the muddy politics.
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- CLIMAX at ICA (until 13 DEC). DISOBEDIENCE at JW3 (until 13 DEC). EVELYN at ICA (08 to 12 DEC). KINSHASA MAKAMBO at DocHouse (07 to 12 DEC). LUCKY at Whirled Cinema (11 to 16 DEC). MUG at Watermans (07 to 13 DEC). NAE PASARAN! at ICA (until 12 DEC). THE OLD MAN AND THE GUN at ArtHouse Crouch End (07 to 13 DEC). POSTCARDS FROM LONDON at ICA (until 12 DEC). THE PRICE OF EVERYTHINGat ICA (until 13 DEC). SHOPLIFTERS at Rio Cinema (07 to 13 DEC). THREE IDENTICAL STRANGERS at BFI (until 13 DEC). WHITE BOY RICK at Picturehouse Central (07 to 13 DEC – Other Picturehouses available). THE WILD PEAR TREE at ICA (until 13 DEC).
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
SIGN UP to our free eNEWS for regular updates about London’s indie cinema scene.
SUPPORT our work at RADIANT CIRCUS and help promote indie cinema in London. As a Patron, you will get our unique SCREEN GUIDES delivered directly to your inbox, exclusive discounts for screen events and much more!
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.