SCREEN GUIDE DAILY: Films in London today 10.01.19
RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Find films in London today by: SINGLE-O EXHIBITS (one-off attractions) // MUSEUM SHOWS (several exhibits under one roof – seasons & festivals) // GRIND SHOWS (a selection of regular runs).
Fiona Tan: ASCENT + Q&A with Fiona Tan at The Whitechapel Gallery (10 JAN 19:00 – Sold Out! Waiting list of returns opens at 11:00):
- Screening and discussion with artist Fiona Tan on her remarkable cultural, temporal and geographic portrait of Mount Fuji. Revealed through thousands of photographs, Ascent blurs the boundary between both documentary and fiction, the still and moving image, to compelling effect.
New at RADIANT CIRCUS:
- The 16th London Short Film Festival (11 to 20 JAN 2019) opens this week and many screenings are selling fast. We thought we’d take a look at all the special events you can still buy tickets for at the time of posting… > Read our RADIANT CIRCUS top ten picks of this year’s LSFF. Please click quickly!
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
Experimenta Mixtape #1 at BFI Southbank (10 JAN 20:30):
- Think of this event as a continuous stream of choice items drawn from multiple sources; one film follows another and so on. The sequence will last roughly 75 minutes and titles will not be announced in advance. Compiled by William Fowler.
International Remakesploitation: The Horror Meme From The Turkish Exorcist To Dracula in Pakistan with instructor Iain Robert Smith at The Horse Hospital (10 JAN 19:00 – Sold Out!):
- The Miskatonic Institute of Horror Studies presents: This lecture will introduce students to the world of horror ‘remakesploitation’ – international exploitation remakes of successful horror films that were often unlicensed and aimed primarily at the domestic market.
ISLAND OF THE HUNGRY GHOSTS + Q&A with director Gabrielle Brady & counsellor Poh Lin Lee at ICA (10 JAN 19:45):
- Christmas Island is a remote Australian territory in the Indian Ocean, dense with jungle and home to millions of land crabs, who every year migrate from the island’s interior to its rugged coastline. The island is also home to Australia’s largest offshore detention facility, in which over 800 asylum seekers are currently indefinitely detained.
VESSEL + PANEL at Genesis Cinema (10 JAN 20:50):
- The People’s Film Club and London-Irish Abortion Rights Campaign present: The film follows a fearless sea captain who sails a ship through loopholes in international law, providing abortions at sea, and leaving in her wake a network of emboldened activists. Proceeds to Women on Waves and the London-Irish ARC.
More films in London today (A – Z):
- DEAD SOULS – Part 2 at ICA (10 JAN 12:20). FACES PLACES presented by Talkies Community Cinema at Dugdale Centre (10 JAN 19:45). FARGO 35mm at The Prince Charles (10 JAN 20:45). MÜSLÜM at ArtHouse Crouch End (10 JAN 20:50). OCCIDENTAL presented by MUBI at Genesis Cinema (10 JAN 18:50). THE PRICE OF EVERYTHING at Whirled Cinema (10 JAN 20:00). SHOPLIFTERS at The David Lean (10 JAN 14:30 & 19:30). SHOPLIFTERS at The Lexi (10 JAN 18:20). SUSPIRIA (2018) at The Prince Charles (10 JAN 12:45). THEY SHALL NOT GROW OLD + RECORDED Q&A at Picturehouse Central (10 JAN 13:35). THREE IDENTICAL STRANGERS at The Prince Charles (10 JAN 13:00). TOP HAT 35mm at The Prince Charles (10 JAN 18:15). TV Preview: TIN STAR + PANEL Q&A with Tim Roth, Genevieve O’Reilly, Abigail Lawrie, & Alison Jackson at BFI (10 JAN 18:15).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: THINGS THAT GO BUMP IN THE NIGHT at BFI Southbank (03 to 31 JAN):
- NIGHT OF THE DEMON aka Curse Of The Demon (10 JAN 20:40).
CLOSE-UP ON JASUJIRō OZU at Close-Up (until 13 JAN):
- FLOATING WEEDS (10 JAN 20:15).
THE GOLDEN AGE OF ALEXANDER KORDA: BRITAIN’S MOVIE MOGUL at BFI Southbank (JAN):
- THINGS TO COME + INTRO by Valeria Carullo (10 JAN 18:20).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- Rainbow Umbrella Film Festival (10 to 13 JAN).
CALIFORNIA TYPEWRITER at DocHouse (10 JAN 16:10):
- In an age where we consume, upgrade and have machines that aren’t built to last, Tom Hanks loves typewriters. And he’s not alone. In Doug Nichol’s doc, we meet a man who creates sculptures out of typewriters, another who has spent the most part of his life repairing typewriters, and a typewriter orchestra.
THE FAVOURITE at ArtHouse Crouch End (10 JAN 12:40, 15:20, 18:00 & 20:40):
- A triple threat of acting talent drives this acid period drama of courtly scheming. Olivia Colman is Queen Anne, a capricious and sickly ruler led by the nose by Rachel Weisz’s courtier Lady Sarah. Abigail (Emma Stone) is a disenfranchised noblewoman who quickly sets about regaining her position by wheedling her way into the Queen’s favours.
ONE CUT OF THE DEAD aka Kamera o tomeru na! at The Prince Charles (10 JAN 16:00):
- The film opens in a run-down, abandonad warehouse where a film crew are making a zombie film… Yet, this is no ordinary warehouse. It’s been said that it’s the site of military experiments… Out of nowhere, real zombies arrive and terrorize the crew!
THE PASSENGER aka Professione: Reporter at BFI Southbank (10 JAN 14:30 & 20:35):
- When David Locke (Jack Nicholson) impulsively exchanges identities with a businessman he finds dead in a North African hotel room, he believes he’s starting anew. But passing himself off as someone else doesn’t mean he’s escaping the past…
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- 1985 at Rio Cinema (04 to 10 JAN). AN IMPOSSIBLE LOVE at Ciné Lumière (04 to 17 JAN). A STAR IS BORN at The Prince Charles (until 10 JAN). FREE SOLO at BFI (until 10 JAN). THE JUDGE at JW3 (06 to 17 JAN). RBG at JW3 (04 to 16 JAN). RETURN OF THE HERO at Waterman’s (04 to 10 JAN). SHOPLIFTERS at The Prince Charles (until 10 JAN). SINK OR SWIM aka Le Grand Bainat Ciné Lumière (04 to 16 JAN). SORRY TO BOTHER YOU at The Lexi (04 to 10 JAN). THREE IDENTICAL STRANGERS at DocHouse (until 09 JAN). WIDOWS at The Prince Charles (until 10 JAN). THE WORKSHOP at Whirled Cinema (07 to 13 JAN).
MORE: weekly digests // monthly roundups // event calendar // festivals A to Z.
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
SIGN UP to our free eNEWS for regular updates about London’s indie cinema scene.
SUPPORT our work at RADIANT CIRCUS and help promote indie cinema in London. As a Patron, you will get our unique SCREEN GUIDES delivered directly to your inbox, exclusive discounts for screen events and much more!
FOLLOW US on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram for daily updates.
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.