SCREEN GUIDE DAILY: Films in London today 10.04.19
RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Find films in London today by: SINGLE-O EXHIBITS (one-off attractions) // MUSEUM SHOWS (several exhibits under one roof – seasons & festivals) // GRIND SHOWS (a selection of regular runs).
THAT MONSTER: AN ALLEGORY d. Silvia Kolbowski, 2018 + PANEL with the artist & academic Mignon Nixon at ICA (10 APR 18:45):
- “In a body of video work produced over the past decade, Kolbowski has explored strategies of ‘re-animating’ the past to pose questions about politics in the present. In THAT MONSTER: AN ALLEGORY, she returns to the genre of silent film and Mary Shelley’s fictional tale of man-made monstrosity.”
NEW AT RADIANT CIRCUS
- Hot on the heels of the Essay Film Festival comes ICA’s own Frames Of Representation (12 to 20 APR), an annual event dedicated to groundbreaking “cinema of the real”.
- Each month we travel across London to see as many of our featured attractions as we can. We’ve posted our screening notes from last month [MARCH]. Not all journeys ended well…
- We’ve posted our epic roundup of London’s repertory seasons & film festivals for APRIL.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
GULYABANI + OVERTIME d. Gürcan Keltek, 2018 + 2012 + Q&A with the artist at Tate Modern (10 APR 18:30):
- “Journey through Turkey’s natural and industrial landscapes with two short films – never before screened in the UK – exploring memory and resilience.”
MAGIC MEDICINE d. Monty Wates, 2018 + Psychotropic Herb Workshop at Harris Academy South Norwood (10 APR 19:45):
- Screen25 presents: “Can magic mushrooms cure depression? MAGIC MEDICINE documents the first medical study of psychedelic drugs in 60 years, with results that could have the power to transform millions of lives.”
More films in London today (A – Z):
- A CLOCKWORK ORANGE d. Stanley Kubrick, 1971 at Curzon Richmond (10 APR 18:00 – Other Curzons available!).
- A NIGHT TO REMEMBER d. Roy Baker, 1958 at Regent Street Cinema (10 APR 12:00 & 15:30).
- BEING FRANK: THE CHRIS SIEVEY STORY d. Steve Sullivan, 2018 at DocHouse (10 APR 14:30).
- BLADE RUNNER: DOUBLE FEATURE d. Ridley Scott, Denis Villeneuve, 1982 + 2017 at The Prince Charles (10 APR 18:10).
- BORDER d. Ali Abbasi, 2018 at Ciné Lumière (10 APR 16:00).
- CAN YOU EVER FORGIVE ME? d. Marielle Heller, 2018 at The Prince Charles (10 APR 15:45).
- THE FAVOURITE d. Yorgos Lanthimos, 2018 at The Prince Charles (10 APR 16:10).
- IF BEALE ST COULD TALK d. Barry Jenkins, 2018 at Regent Street Cinema (10 APR 18:30 & 20:50).
- LEAVE NO TRACE d. Debra Granik, 2018 presented by Twickenham Film Club at The Exchange (10 APR 19:30).
- LORDS OF CHAOS d. Jonas Åkerlund, 2018 at The Prince Charles (10 APR 13:05).
- MUTUM d. Sandra Kogut, 2017 at Embassy Of Brazil (10 APR 18:00 – FREE!).
- THE PONDS d. Patrick McLennan and Samuel Smith, 2018 at The Prince Charles (10 APR 18:50).
- THE PONDS d. Patrick McLennan & Samuel Smith, 2019 at ArtHouse Crouch End (10 APR 19:30).
- RAY & LIZ d. Richard Billingham, 2018 at ICA (10 APR 13:45).
- RED JOAN d. Trevor Nunn, 2018 presented by UKJF at Phoenix Cinema (10 APR 20:30).
- SHOPLIFTERS d. Hirokazu Kore-eda, 2018 at ICA (10 APR 14:00).
- SOYALISM d. Enrico Parenti & Stefano Liberti, 2018 at DocHouse (10 APR 16:45).
- TEDDY PENDERGRASS: IF YOU DON’T KNOW ME d. Olivia Lichtenstein, 2018 at The Lexi (10 APR 20:50).
- VICE d. Adam McKay, 2018 at The Prince Charles (10 APR 20:45).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: THE MEANINGS OF LIFE at BFI Southbank (APR):
- THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN d. Jack Arnold, 1957 + INTRO by Geoff Andrew (10 APR 18:10).
CLOSE-UP ON ANDREI TARKOVSKY at Close-Up (until 21 APR):
- SOLARIS d. Andrei Tarkovsky, 1972 (10 APR 20:15).
KUBRICK at BFI Southbank (APR to MAY):
- KILLER’S KISS + THE SEAFARERS d. Stanley Kubrick, 1955 + 1953 (10 APR 18:00).
- A CLOCKWORK ORANGE d. Stanley Kubrick, 1971 enjoys a grind show run (05 to 30 APR).
OF FLESH AND BLOOD: THE CINEMA OF HIROKAZU KORE-EDA at BFI Southbank (APR to MAY):
- NOBODY KNOWS d. Hirokazu Kore-eda, 2004 (10 APR 20:20).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- Ecofutures (04 to 19 APR).
- Kinoteka Polish Film Festival (04 to 18 APR).
- London Games Festival (02 to 14 APR).
- London Independent Film Festival (05 to 15 APR).
- Taiwan Film Festival (03 to 14 APR).
A CLOCKWORK ORANGE d. Stanley Kubrick, 1971 at Peckhamplex (10 APR 17:30 & 20:35):
- “Stanley Kubrick’s adaptation of Anthony Burgess’s decline-of-civilisation novel remains a chilling, thrilling and unsettling cinematic vision of nihilistic violence and social control. Set in a flamboyantly stylised near-future where gangs of disenfranchised teenagers indulge in narcotic cocktails and revel in acts of ‘ultraviolence’, the film centres on Alex (McDowell) and his band of droogs.”
COLLISIONS d. Lynette Wallworth at Barbican (10 APR – daily VR viewing times – limited numbers – available times today: 19:30, 21:00, 21:30 & 22:00):
- “This immersive Emmy Award-winning documentary transports you to a startling collision between cultures, the viewing experience enhanced by 360-degree vision, CGI animation and enveloping sound. Provided with headsets during a synchronised screening, audiences embark on a journey to the ancient homeland of indigenous elder Nyarri Nyarri Morgan, as he recounts the moment his world was turned upside down.”
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- 3 FACES d. Jafar Panahi, 2018 at Watermans (05 to 10 APR). ALIEN d. Ridley Scott, 1979 at The Prince Charles (05 to 10 APR). AT ETERNITY’S GATE d. Julian Schnabel, 2018 at Rio Cinema (until 11 APR). BLADE RUNNER : THE FINAL CUT d. Ridley Scott, 1982 at The Prince Charles (05 to 11 APR). BORDER d. Ali Abassi, 2018 at ICA (05 to 10 APR). BURNING d. Chang-dong Lee, 2018 at Whirled Cinema (08 to 14 APR). CHILDREN OF THE SNOW LAND d. Zara Balfour & Marcus Stephenson, 2018 at DocHouse (06 to 10 APR). EATEN BY LIONS d. Jason Wingard, 2018 at Peckhamplex (05 to 11 APR). FREE SOLO d. Jimmy Chin & Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi, 2018 at The Prince Charles (05 to 11 APR). GIRL d. Lukas Dhont, 2018 at Watermans (06 to 10 APR). HAPPY AS LAZZARO d. Alice Rohrwacher, 2018 at ArtHouse Crouch End (05 to 11 APR). HOLY LANDS d. Amanda Sthers, 2018 presented by UKJF at JW3 (07 to 18 APR). THE IMAGE YOU MISSED d. Dónal Foreman, 2018 at ICA (05 to 09 APR). LAST BREATH d. Alex Parkinson & Richard da Costa, 2019 at DocHouse (05 to 11 APR). MARY QUEEN OF SCOTS d. Josie Rourke, 2018 at JW3 (05 to 10 APR). THE PANAMA PAPERS d. Alex Winters, 2018 at DocHouse (until 11 APR). THE REST I MAKE UP d. Michelle Memran, 2018 at ICA (05 to 11 APR APR). THE SISTERS BROTHERS d. Jacques Audiard, 2018 at The Castle Cinema (05 to 11 APR). US d. Jordan Peele, 2019 at Rich Mix (until 10 APR). THE WHITE CROW d. Ralph Fiennes, 2018 at ArtHouse Crouch End (until 11 APR).
Discover more #LDNindieFILM
Follow us: Twitter @radiantcircus | Instagram @radiantcircus
Sign up for free Friday emails, 7 days of sensational screens.
Subscribe & support
RADIANT CIRCUS is supported by readers’ monthly subscriptions, which start at just £2.99/month. Subscribers get our listings emailed directly as well as other great rewards. With enough subscribers backing us, we will be able to: 1) establish RADIANT CIRCUS as a permanent resource; 2) fund a full site rebuild to make our listings more social and searchable; and, 3) stage free events for subscribers as our way of saying a huge thank you! Our target? One thousand passionate film fans sharing what they love so that many more can discover it. Subscribe at patreon.com/radiantcircus
“A lot of love, time & effort being put into these really useful & comprehensive listings.” (A fan, via Twitter).
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.