SCREEN GUIDE DAILY: Films in London today 10.05.18
RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Find films in London today by: SINGLE-O EXHIBITS (one-off attractions) // MUSEUM SHOWS (several exhibits under one roof – seasons & festivals) // GRIND SHOWS (regular runs).
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
DEAD THE ENDS + Q&A with Benedict Seymour at The Whitechapel Gallery (10 MAY 19:00):
- Artist Benedict Seymour’s experimental feature explores our contemporary political situation. Using imagery from dystopian science fiction, this hybrid narrative and essay film crosses currents of thought and material.
PARIS NOIR: AFRICAN-AMERICANS IN THE CITY OF LIGHT at Bernie Grant Arts Centre (10 MAY 19:00):
- This doc explores the history of African-American writers and artists who settled in Paris and the impact both cultures had on each other.
SINK + Q&A with writer/director Mark Gillis at Deptford Cinema (10 MAY 20:00):
- SINK is about surviving the tough times. But it’s not all anguish and despair. It’s also warm and tender. And funny. Shot in New Cross, Deptford and Brockley, the film has generated a great deal of interest after Mark Rylance saw the finished cut and became an Associate Producer.
More films in London today (A – Z): ALL THAT HEAVEN ALLOWS at BFI (10 MAY 18:20). CHAPLINOIA LAUNCH EVENT: SCREENING + TALK by author Chris England at The Cinema Museum (10 MAY 18:30). CITIZEN KANE 35mm at BFI (10 MAY 18:10). DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS 35mm at The Prince Charles (10 MAY 20:45). HALF NELSON 35mm at The Prince Charles (10 MAY 18:20 – PCC Members’ Screening £1). JEUNE FEMME preview at BFI (10 MAY 20:40). THE MAGIC FLUTE at The David Lean Cinema (10 MAY 14:30 & 19:30). THE MAGIC FLUTE at Ciné Lumière (10 MAY 18:30). MOULIN ROUGE! at Rooftop Film Club, Stratford (10 MAY 20:30 – last few tickets remaining!). OPEN SCREENING artist filmmakers present works in progress at The Whitechapel Gallery (10 MAY 17:00 – Free!).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
ANIME APRIL becomes ANIME MAY at Genesis Cinema (until 10 MAY):
- GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES (10 MAY 20:50).
CLOSE-UP ON JEAN-LUC GODARD at Close-Up (04 to 25 MAY):
- LE MÉPRIS (10 MAY 19:30 ).
LOST IN AMERICA: THE OTHER SIDE OF REAGAN’S 80s at BFI Southbank (MAY):
- LOST IN AMERICA (10 MAY 20:50 ).
#WOMENINFILM2018 at Genesis Cinema (all year):
- THE DREAMED PATH in partnership with MUBI (10 MAY 18:50).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Herne Hill Free Film Festival (01 MAY to 01 JUN)
- Next screening 11 MAY.
London Greek Film Festival (07 to 12 MAY)
- SHORT FILM PROGRAMME (10 MAY 15:00, Theatro Technis).
- KANANGA (10 MAY 17:00, Theatro Technis).
- TOXIC SCHLOCK (10 MAY 18:50, Theatro Technis).
- BLISS (10 MAY 20:50, Theatro Technis).
Everyman Music Film Festival (07 to 31 MAY)
- NICO, 1988 + Q&A with director Susanna Nicchiarelli (10 MAY 18:30, Everyman Baker Street).
Reel to Reel: The Craft Film Festival (08 to 10 MAY)
- SCREENING 3 short film programme (10 MAY 18:30, Picturehouse Central – is sold out!).
Kendal Mountain Festival Tour (10 MAY)
- SHORT FILM PROGRAMME (10 MAY 19:00, Rio Cinema).
MARY & THE WITCH’S FLOWER at ArtHouse Crouch End (10 MAY 12:00 & 16:40):
- From Hiromasa Yonebayashi, animator on such Studio Ghibli masterpieces such as Ponyo and Spirited Away, comes a dazzling new adventure. Based on Mary Stewart‘s 1971 classic children’s book The Little Broomstick, Mary and the Witch’s Flower is packed with jaw-dropping imagination and ingenious characters.
- Also at Genesis Cinema (10 MAY 16:25 & 18:15) and Rio Cinema (10 MAY 18:45).
NEW TOWN UTOPIA at Picturehouse Central (10 MAY 16:40):
- A feature documentary film about utopian dreams and concrete realities. The challenging, funny, and sometimes tragic story of the British new town of Basildon, Essex.
- Also at Barbican (10 MAY 18:30).
THE YOUNG KARL MARX at ICA (10 MAY 16:00 & 18:30):
- Between censorship and police raids, riots and political upheavals, Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels meet in Paris in 1844, and together, become defining voices for the burgeoning labour movement. Expect fiery exchanges of ideas over drunken bonding sessions, nurturing support from their adoring partners and masses of righteous indignation at the social inequalities magnified by the industrial revolution.
- Also at JW3 (10 MAY 14:30 & 20:40).
More films in London this week (A – Z): See our weekly digest.
MORE: weekly digests // monthly roundups // event calendar // festivals A to Z.
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
Get all our guides delivered directly to your inbox – plus other great rewards – with a low-cost RADIANT CIRCUS monthly membership, available exclusively at Patreon.
Follow us on Twitter & Instagram for news & updates.
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We check box office each morning for films in London today and try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.
Featured attraction: NICO, 1988 + Q&A with director Susanna Nicchiarelli (10 MAY 18:30, Everyman Baker Street).