RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
SLAM d. Partho Sen-Gupta, 2018 + Short: BORDERS d. Shagufta K. Iqbal, 2017 + Panel at Regent Street Cinema (10 AUG 14:00):
- London Australian Film Society presents: “Direct from the Sydney Film Festival and the Melbourne International Film Festival – the UK premiere of Partho Sen-Gupta’s SLAM (2018), an extraordinary mystery drama about family, identity, and Islamophobia in Australia. This special screening will be preceded by a screening of Shagufta K. Iqbal’s short poetry film BORDERS (2017), and will be followed by a panel discussion on Muslim screen representation and the broader contexts of Islamophobia in Australia and Britain.”
NEW AT RADIANT CIRCUS
We want to make sure you never miss a frame… Plan ahead with our epic monthly roundup of London’s repertory seasons & film festivals for AUGUST.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
Carnival in the Time of the Sound System Talk + Panel discussion at BFI Southbank (10 AUG 14:00):
- “The UK Jamaica Sound System took its place in the Notting Hill Carnival of the 1970s amid the revelry of Mas (masque) displays and steel pan bands. Author Lloyd Bradley (Sounds Like London: 100 Years of Black Music in the Capital, Bass Culture) presents rare film and TV clips illustrating the emergence of this phenomenon and its presence today as an essential component of the country’s biggest street festival.”
More films in London today (A – Z):
- ADOPTION d. Márta Mészáros, 1975 at ICA (10 AUG 14:30).
- AMIN d. Philippe Faucon, 2018 at Regent Street Cinema (10 AUG 20:40).
- A SEASON IN FRANCE d. Mahamat-Saleh Haroun, 2017 at Regent Street Cinema (10 AUG 18:30).
- DUTCH ANGLE: CHAS GERRETSEN & APOCALYPSE NOW d. Baris Azman, 2019 at ArtHouse Crouch End (10 AUG 15:00).
- HAMADA d. Eloy Domínguez Serén, 2018 at DocHouse (10 AUG 14:30).
- HOLIDAY d. Isabella Eklöf, 2018 at Barbican (10 AUG 15:55).
- MARIANNE & LEONARD: WORDS OF LOVE d. Nick Broomfield, 2019 at BFI (10 AUG 18:15).
- MARIANNE & LEONARD: WORDS OF LOVE d. Nick Broomfield, 2019 at ArtHouse Crouch End (10 AUG 20:00).
- MIDSOMMAR d. Ari Aster, 2019 at The Castle Cinema (10 AUG 21:00).
- MIRAI aka Mirai no Mirai at The Prince Charles (10 AUG 13:00).
- STAR TREK II: THE WRATH OF KHAN [DIRECTOR’S CUT] at The Prince Charles (10 AUG 20:45).
- THE STONES IN THE PARK at ArtHouse Crouch End (10 AUG 18:30).
> SIGN UP for free Friday emails highlighting 7 days of sensational screens.
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
BACKYARD CINEMA: L.A. NIGHTS at Roundhouse (19 JUL to 24 AUG):
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: TURMOIL! at BFI Southbank (AUG):
- DAY OF WRATH 35mm d. Carl Theodor Dreyer, 1943 (10 AUG 15:50).
CARY GRANT: BRITAIN’S GREATEST EXPORT at BFI Southbank (AUG to SEP):
- HIS GIRL FRIDAY d. Howard Hawks, 1940 (10 AUG 18:30).
- I’M NO ANGEL d. Wesley Ruggles, 1933 (10 AUG 20:30).
- NOTORIOUS d. Alfred Hitchcock, 1946 enjoys a grind show run (09 AUG to 22 AUG).
CELEBRATING PHILIP SEYMOUR HOFFMAN at The Prince Charles (until 10 AUG):
- THE BIG LEBOWSKI d. Joel Coen & Ethan Coen, 1998 (10 AUG 17:45).
THE CLASS OF ’94 at The Prince Charles (ongoing):
- PULP FICTION d. Quentin Tarantino, 1994 (10 AUG 20:30).
FILM4 SUMMER SCREEN at Somerset House (08 to 21 AUG):
- Nicolas Cage Double Bill: WILD AT HEART d. David Lynch, 1990 + MANDY d. Panos Cosmatos, 2018 (10 AUG 19:00).
FOCUS ON AGNÈS VARDA at BFI Southbank (JUL):
- VARDA BY AGNÈS d. Agnès Varda, 2019 (10 AUG 15:45).
NO DIRECT FLIGHT at BFI Southbank (AUG):
- BELLY d. Hype Williams, 1998 + Intro by Grace Ladoja (10 AUG 18:20).
- Sonic Shorts Programme + Q&A with musicians and directors Lex Francis, Filmawi, Jenn Nkiru, Rharha Nembhard & Petite Noir (10 AUG 20:45).
- No Direct Flight Sonic Party (10 AUG 22:00 – FREE!/Unticketed).
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB various roofs (until 31 JUL):
- TWISTER (10 AUG 20:30 – Peckham).
TRILOGIES & TRIPTYCHS at Close-Up Centre (01 AUG to 01 SEP):
- Kenji Mizoguchi’s Great Triptych – THE LIFE OF OHARU d. Kenji Mizoguchi, 1952 (10 AUG 17:00).
- David Lynch’s L.A.Trilogy – MULHOLLAND DRIVE d. David Lynch, 2001 (10 AUG 20:00).
WE’RE GONNA PARTY LIKE IT’S 1999! at The Prince Charles (02 MAY to 26 NOV):
- THE VIRGIN SUICIDES 35mm d. Sofia Coppola, 1999 (10 AUG 15:20).
- THE MATRIX d. Lana Wachowski & Lilly Wachowski, 1999 (10 AUG 12:15).
> SUBSCRIBE to get our full listings emailed & support #LDNindieFILM.
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
We don’t think that there are any film festivals in London today but we’ve been wrong before… please let us know! Find out what’s coming in our Festivals A to Z.
GAZA d. Garry Keane & Andrew McConnell, 2018 at DocHouse (10 AUG 16:30):
- “17-year-old Karma Khaial stands by the Mediterranean Sea that represents freedom to her. But in Gaza, the sea is yet another wall restricting the lives and dreams of its inhabitants. This elegantly shot and masterfully crafted portrait of Palestinian life offers a rare chance to be immersed in the heart of Gaza.”
NOTORIOUS 4K d. Alfred Hitchcock, 1946 at ArtHouse Crouch End (10 AUG 12:45 & 16:00):
- “Two of the most iconic and powerful stars of their day pair up in Hitchcock’s post-war spy thriller, film noir – with just a dash of screwball dialogue and some serious romance – and the results are electric.”
STONES HAVE LAWS d. Lonnie van Brummelen, Siebren de Haan & Tolin Erwin Alexander, 2018 at ICA (10 AUG 18:30):
- “An immersive initiation into the life of a Maroon community in the former Dutch colony of Suriname. Combining stories of African ancestral traditions and escaped slavery with enacted contemporary rituals, the film explores how the community’s powerful ties to the land have become endangered as industries threaten to devastate the region through deforestation and mining.”
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- ANIMALS d. Sophie Hyde, 2019 at Phoenix Cinema (09 to 12 AUG). APOLLO 11 d. Todd Douglas Miller, 2019 at DocHouse (until 14 AUG). ASK DR. RUTH d. Ryan White, 2019 at JW3 (until 15 AUG). BLINDED BY THE LIGHT d. Gurinder Chadha, 2019 at ArtHouse Crouch End (09 to 15 AUG). CALL ME BY YOUR NAME d. Luca Guadagnino, 2017 at The Prince Charles (until 15 AUG). THE CHAMBERMAID d. Lila Avilés, 2018 at ICA (until 15 AUG). THE DEAD DON’T DIE d. Jim Jarmusch, 2019 at The Castle Cinema (10 to 13 AUG). DIEGO MARADONA d. Asif Kapadia, 2019 at ICA (09 to 15 AUG). HAPPY AS LAZZARO d. Alice Rohrwacher, 2018 at Whirled Cinema (12 to 18 AUG). MARIANNE & LEONARD: WORDS OF LOVE d. Nick Broomfield, 2019 at ArtHouse Crouch End (until 15 AUG). THE MATRIX d. Lana Wachowski & Lilly Wachowski, 1999 at The Prince Charles (until 15 AUG). NEVER LOOK AWAY d. Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck, 2019 at ICA (until 15 AUG). OLDBOY 4K d. Chan-wook Park, 2003 at The Prince Charles (until 15 AUG). OPUS ZERO d. Daniel Graham, 2017 at ICA (09 to 14 AUG). TELL IT TO THE BEES d. Annabel Jankel, 2018 at Watermans (09 to 15 AUG). UNE FEMME DOUCE d. Robert Bresson, 1969 at ICA (until 15 AUG). YESTERDAY d. Danny Boyle, 2019 at The Prince Charles (09 to 15 AUG).
Subscribe & support
RADIANT CIRCUS – “Home of alternative screen culture in London” (Film London) – is supported entirely by readers’ monthly subscriptions. Subscribers get our listings emailed directly as well as other great rewards. With enough subscribers backing us, we will be able to: 1) establish RADIANT CIRCUS as a permanent resource; 2) fund a full site rebuild to make our listings more social and searchable; and, 3) stage free events for subscribers as our way of saying a huge thank you! Our target? One thousand passionate film fans sharing what they love so that many more can discover it. Subscribe at patreon.com/radiantcircus
“I love everything you’re doing with RADIANT CIRCUS, the output is brilliant. And just so great to see it grow. Kudos to you.” (A fan via email!).
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.