SCREEN GUIDE DAILY: Films in London today 10.09.18
RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Find films in London today by: SINGLE-O EXHIBITS (one-off attractions) // MUSEUM SHOWS (several exhibits under one roof – seasons & festivals) // GRIND SHOWS (a selection of regular runs).
Featured attraction: SUPAKINO and Forever Young Film Club present BEND IT LIKE BECKHAM + INTRO at The Institute Of Light (10 SEP 20:30): “Like an extra time free kick sent over the defensive wall into the back of the net, this is a winner… Delightfully upbeat, it will send you back out onto the street grinning from ear to ear.” – Empire Magazine.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
BEND IT LIKE BECKHAM + INTRO at The Institute Of Light (10 SEP 20:30):
- SUPAKINO and Forever Young Film Club team up for a screening of Gurinder Chadha’s hit feel-good movie BEND IT LIKE BECKHAM, “a film which manages to balance substantial themes of family, friendship, culture clash, racism and sexual identity whilst also serving a relatable slice of UK teen life”.
- Part of SUPAKINO’s endlessly enjoyable Turbans Seen On Screen strand: read more in our interview with Ranjit S. Ruprai HERE.
Double Bill: FEMALE TROUBLE + FASTER PUSSYCAT! KILL! KILL! + INTRO by Jane Giles at Regent Street Cinema (10 SEP 18:30 & 20:30):
- This double bill has been selected by Scala Programmer and film writer Jane Giles, who will introduce the evening. Her book Scala Cinema 1978-1993 (FAB Press) is published this month.
- There be discounts for doing the double.
I MADE THIS FOR YOU + Q&A with director Cristian Solimeno + LIVE MUSIC at Genesis Cinema (10 SEP 18:45):
- A fundraiser for CALM to mark World Suicide Prevention Day: A man who has cut himself off from his friends and family and has recently attempted suicide is surprised to find that people haven’t given up on him after all. His best friend comes looking for him with a gift, a documentary for one, a film made especially for him.
ISLAND + Q&A with director Steven Eastwood & producer Elhum Shakerifar at Picturehouse Central (10 SEP 18:30):
- Across the water on the island, four individuals experience the year in which their lives will end. Illness progresses, relationships gently shift, and we are witness to rarely seen and intensely private moments.
More films in London today (A – Z):
- BARTON FINK at BFI (10 SEP 20:40).
- DIRTY DANCING at Rooftop Film Club, Shoreditch (10 SEP 21:00).
- THE KING at DocHouse (10 SEP 14:30).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
BLACK AND BANNED at BFI Southbank (SEP TO OCT):
- SAVE THE CHILDREN FUND FILM + DISCUSSION (10 SEP 18:10).
- THE SPOOK WHO SAT BY THE DOOR (10 SEP 20:05).
CLOSE-UP ON KIJU YOSHIDA at Close-Up (10 to 30 SEP):
- COUP D’ÉTAT (10 SEP 20:15).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Films festivals in London today include:
- Catford Free Film Festival (09 to 16 SEP).
- Peckham & Nunhead Free Film Festival (31 AUG to 16 SEP).
- Scalarama (SEP).
- The Smalls Film Festival (07 to 10 SEP).
IN PRAISE OF NOTHING at DocHouse (10 SEP 16:40):
- An offbeat, satirical and beautifully-shot film about Nothing, in which Nothing, tired of being misunderstood, runs away from home and begins to reveal his thoughts on pretty much everything, including life and death, love and politics. Narrated in verse by Iggy Pop.
THE MISEDUCATION OF CAMERON POST at The Castle Cinema (10 SEP 17:00 & 19:00):
- Cameron Post looks the part of a perfect high-school girl. But after she’s caught with another girl in the back seat of a car on prom night, Cameron is quickly shipped off to a conversion therapy centre that treats teens “struggling with same-sex attraction”.
UNDER THE WIRE at DocHouse (10 SEP 20:30):
- On 13 February 2012 war-correspondent Marie Colvin and photographer Paul Conroy entered war-ravaged Syria to cover the plight of civilians trapped in the besieged Homs, under attack by the Syrian army. Only one of them returned.
More films in London this week (A – Z): AMERICAN ANIMALS at Rich Mix (07 to 13 SEP). BLACKkKLANSMAN at ArtHouse Crouch End (until 13 SEP). C’EST LA VIE! at Cine Lumiere (until 23 SEP). THE CLEANERS at DocHouse (07 to 12 SEP). COLD WAR at Ciné Lumière (until 16 SEP). CROWHURST at Whirled Cinema (10 to 16 SEP). HEATHERS at Prince Charles (07 to 13 SEP). HURRICANE at Genesis Cinema (07 to 13 SEP). MILFORD GRAVES FULL MANTIS at ICA (07 to 12 SEP). THE SEAGULL at Phoenix Cinema (07 to 13 SEP). YARDIE at The Institute Of Light (07 to 13 SEP).
MORE: weekly digests // monthly roundups // event calendar // festivals A to Z.
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
SIGN UP to our free eNEWS for regular updates about London’s indie cinema scene.
SUBSCRIBE to get our unique SCREEN GUIDE listings delivered directly to your inbox – plus other great rewards! – with a low-cost RADIANT CIRCUS monthly membership.
FOLLOW US on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram for daily updates.
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We check box office each morning for films in London today and try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.