RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Featured attraction: EMOCEAN + EOS at Regent Street Cinema (10 OCT 20:50) on the opening night of this year’s London Surf Film Festival (10 to 13 OCT). Bruce Muller’s EOS gets a European premiere – “Iconic surfer Kassia Meador blurs the line between surfer, artist & performer. A creative & captivating cinematic masterpiece, combing an epic soundscape and stunning cinematography”.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
DOWN TO EARTH + INTRO at The Gate (10 OCT 18:30):
- Leaving behind their cosmopolitan London life, a couple and their three young children travel the ends of the earth searching for a new perspective on life. In their five-year journey across six continents, they live with some of the oldest indigenous communities on the planet.
Elephant In The Room at 93 Feet East (10 OCT 19:00):
- Shorts On Tap present: A selection of short films on mental health on World Mental Health Day. Featuring Q&As with attending filmmakers & panel discussion with special guests.
EVEN WHEN I FALL + Q&A with director Kate McLarnon/Sky Neal at St. Barnabas Millennium Halls (10 OCT 20:15).
- Pitshanger Pictures presents: Sheetal and Saraswoti met as teenagers in a Kathmandu refuge, survivors of child trafficking to corrupt Indian circuses and brought back across the border to a Nepal they could barely remember. EVEN WHEN I FALL traces their journey over 6 years as they confront the families that sold them, seek acceptance within their own country and begin to build a future.
WILD RELATIVES + INTRO/Q&A with Jumana Manna at Tate Modern (10 OCT 18:30):
- Jumana Manna presents and discusses the London premiere of her second feature film WILD RELATIVES. An insightful reflection on biodiversity and resilience, the film captures the intertwining of traditional and modern preservation techniques and transnational exchanges.
More films in London today (A – Z):
- THE BREADWINNER presented by Screen25 at Harris Academy South Norwood (10 OCT 19:45).
- HALLOWEEN (1978): 40th Anniversary Screening at Picturehouse Central (10 OCT 21:15 – Other Picturehouses available!).
- MOTHER WORE TIGHTS at Regent Street Cinema (10 OCT 12:00 & 15:30).
- SWIMMING WITH MEN a Save The Cinema Museum Fundraiser (10 OCT 19:30).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
70mm PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles (ongoing):
- 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY 70mm new ‘unrestored’ print (10 OCT 20:15).
CLOSE-UP ON NURI BILGE CEYLAN at Close-Up (08 to 27 OCT):
- ONCE UPON A TIME IN ANATOLIA (10 OCT 19:30).
HORROROCTOBER at Prince Charles (OCT):
- HALLOWEEN (1978): 40th Anniversary Screening (10 OCT 18:05 & 21:00).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
COLUMBUS at ArtHouse Crouch End (10 OCT 13:00 & 18:20):
- When a renowned architecture scholar falls suddenly ill during a speaking tour, his son Jin (John Cho) finds himself stranded in Columbus, Indiana – a small Midwestern city celebrated for its many significant modernist buildings. Jin strikes up a friendship with Casey (Haley Lu Richardson), a young architecture enthusiast who works at the local library. As their intimacy develops, Jin and Casey explore both the town and their conflicted emotions.
JALOUSE at Ciné Lumière (10 OCT 16:00):
- Almost overnight, Nathalie Pêcheux, a divorced French teacher, changes from a loving mother into a jealous monster. Her first target is her stunning 18-year-old daughter Mathilde, a ballet dancer, but her field of attack soon extends to her friends, colleagues, and even her neighbours.
KUSAMA – INFINITY at DocHouse (10 OCT 16:30):
- In this compelling doc, director Heather Lenz tells Yayoi Kusama’s story from childhood to present day, in the words of the artist herself. Kusama candidly discusses how her cosmic and obsessive art practice is generated from childhood trauma, and reveals the chronic depression she suffered after well-known artists remodelled her work in their name.
More films in London this week (A – Z): A THOUSAND GIRLS LIKE ME at DocHouse (05 to 11 OCT). BLACK ’47 at ArtHouse Crouch End (05 to 11 OCT). THE GODFATHER at BFI (until 09 OCT). HEREDITARY at Whirled Cinema (08 to 14 OCT). THE MISEDUCATION OF CAMERON POST at The Prince Charles (05 to 11 OCT). THE OSLO DIARIES at DocHouse (05 to 11 OCT). SEARCHING at The Prince Charles (05 to 11 OCT). SKATE KITCHEN at The Prince Charles (05 to 11 OCT). TEHRAN TABOO at ICA (05 to 11 OCT). THIS IS CONGO at The Montpelier (until 10 OCT). THE WIFE at Phoenix (05 to 11 OCT).
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
SIGN UP to our free eNEWS for regular updates about London’s indie cinema scene.
SUBSCRIBE to get our unique SCREEN GUIDE listings delivered directly to your inbox – plus other great rewards! – with a low-cost RADIANT CIRCUS monthly membership.
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We check box office each morning for films in London today and try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.