SCREEN GUIDE DAILY: Films in London today 10.11.18
RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Find films in London today by: SINGLE-O EXHIBITS (one-off attractions) // MUSEUM SHOWS (several exhibits under one roof – seasons & festivals) // GRIND SHOWS (a selection of regular runs).
Featured attraction: Artists’ Film Club presents THE DOG ISN’T AFRAID OF FIREWORKS + LAINDON at ICA (10 NOV 18:00): “This screening comprises recent works commissioned by the ICA by artists who participated in STOP PLAY RECORD (2015–18), an initiative that supported the development and production of 72 short films with young people aged 16–24 living in London.” – ICA.
New at RADIANT CIRCUS: We are delighted to announce a new partnership with Close-Up Film Centre that gives all RADIANT CIRCUS paid subscribers exclusive discounts for selected seasons and screenings in their programme. We start with fabulous found footage season NEVER FOUND: ALTERNATE HISTORIES OF THE 20th CENTURY (14 NOV & 15 NOV). Read our interview with curator Francesco Maria Carreri before checking out our affordable monthly subscriptions and other great rewards at Patreon (starting at £2.99/month).
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
Circus Life: Circus On Screen at Birkbeck Cinema (10 NOV 14:00 – Free!):
- This special programme of circus-themed films includes a number of short “back stage” documentary pieces about circus life, followed by a 90th anniversary screening of Charlie Chaplin’s 1928 silent classic THE CIRCUS, for which he received a Special Academy Award.
THE DOG ISN’T AFRAID OF FIREWORKS + LAINDON at ICA (10 NOV 18:00):
- Artists’ Film Club presents: Recent works commissioned by the ICA: Basildon-born artist Marianne Murray’s humorous comment on failed new-town ideals takes the now defunct Laindon Shopping Centre as its subject in LAINDON. Jaf Yusuf’s THE DOG ISN’T AFRAID OF FIREWORKS continues his investigation of place and architecture using 3D animation techniques.
MAGIC MEDICINE + Q&A with director Monty Wates & Dr Robin Carhart-Harris at Rio Cinema (10 NOV 15:30):
- Over 4 years, filmmaker Monty Wates was given exclusive access to the first ever medical trial to give psilocybin (the psychoactive ingredient in magic mushrooms) to a group of volunteers suffering from clinical depression.
NOSFERATU (1922) + LIVE ACCOMPANIMENT by Aubrey Jackson-Blake & Dan Tye at Phoenix Cinema (10 NOV 22:30):
- F W Murnau’s 1922 classic with live multi-instrumental score from Aubrey Jackson-Blake (sythesisers and sound manipulation) and Dan Tye (double bass).
More films in London today (A – Z):
- AKIRA at The Prince Charles (10 NOV 17:55).
- An Oceanic Feeling: Cinema and the Sea book launch + screening (10 NOV 18:00).
- EXPLODING CINEMA short film programme at The Cinema Museum (10 NOV 19:00).
- THE GUARDIANS at The David Lean (10 NOV 14:30).
- KISS ME DEADLY at BFI (10 NOV 18:30).
- THE MAN FROM MO’WAX + Q&A with James Lavelle & filmmakers Matthew Jones & M J McMahon at ArtHouse (10 NOV 19:00).
- MATANGI / MAYA / M.I.A. at Bernie Grant Arts Centre (10 NOV 19:00).
- PADDINGTON 2 presented by Stow Film Lounge at CentrE17 (10 NOV 10:30).
- THE POET WHO LOVED THE WAR: Ivor Gurney Film at Barbican (10 NOV 10:45).
- THE RED SHOES 35mm at The Prince Charles (10 NOV 15:20).
- THEY SHALL NOT GROW OLD + RECORDED Q&A at Phoenix Cinema (10 NOV 14:45).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
14-18 ARMISTICE CENTENARY at Ciné Lumière (10 to 23 NOV):
- SHOULDER ARMS + PIANO INTRO (10 NOV 14:00).
- FAREWELL MY INDIAN SOLDIER + Q&A with director Vijay Singh & journalist Derek Malcolm (10 NOV 16:00).
CLOSE-UP ON INGMAR BERGMAN at Close-Up (02 NOV to 30 DEC):
- SUMMER WITH MONIKA (10 NOV 17:30).
COMEDY GENIUS at BFI Southbank (OCT 2018 to JAN 2019):
- A CHUMP AT OXFORD 35mm (10 NOV 13:30).
- SOME LIKE IT HOT (10 NOV 18:35 & 20:40).
- CARRY ON CLEO + INTRO by Amanda Barrie (10 NOV 20:20).
- AIRPLANE! (10 NOV 23:10).
- Should We Still Be At It? panel discussion (10 NOV 18:10).
Sight & Sound presents FANTASTIQUE: THE DREAM WORLDS OF FRENCH CINEMA at BFI Southbank (OCT to NOV):
- THE IRON ROSE aka La Rose de Fer (10 NOV 21:00).
THE STATE OF THE UNION at DocHouse (09 to 18 NOV):
- TIME FOR ILHAN (10 NOV 16:30).
UP NORTH & UNDERGROUND at The Prince Charles (10 NOV to 18 NOV):
- ZERO PATIENCE (10 NOV 13:00).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- Black Sunday Film Festival (10 NOV).
- Brixton Reel Film Festival (08 to 15 NOV).
- Doc’n Roll Film Festival (01 to 18 NOV).
- Film Africa (02 to 11 NOV).
- French Film Festival (07 NOV to 09 DEC).
- London Korean Film Festival (01 to 25 NOV).
- Soho Horror Film Festival (10 to 11 NOV).
- UK Jewish Film Festival (08 to 22 NOV).
- Utopia: 9th Portuguese Film Festival (30 OCT to 29 NOV).
MAKE ME UP at ICA (10 NOV 14:25):
- Multimedia artist Rachel Maclean’s ambitious film unfurls in a seductive and dangerous world where surveillance, violence and submission are a normalised part of daily life. In saccharine pastels, this darkly comic film exposes the heteropatriarchal ideologies embedded in prevailing narratives of gender and beauty.
THE OTHER SIDE OF EVERYTHING at DocHouse (10 NOV 18:30):
- In Belgrade, an apartment is divided in two by a door, which has been permanently locked for over 70 years. The apartment, which was divided on the order of Yugoslavia’s then communist government, is where director Mila Turajlic’s mother was born, and where Mila grew up herself.
WIDOWS at ArtHouse Crouch End (10 NOV 12:30, 15:45, 18:30 & 21:15):
- The story of four women with nothing in common except a debt left behind by their dead husbands’ criminal activities. Set in contemporary Chicago, amid a time of turmoil, tensions build when Veronica (Oscar winner Viola Davis), Linda (Michelle Rodriguez), Alice (Elizabeth Debicki) and Belle (Cynthia Erivo) take their fate into their own hands.
More films in London this week (A – Z): ADRIFT IN SOHO at The Prince Charles (14 to 20 NOV). BISBEE ’17 at ICA (09 to 15 NOV). FACES PLACES at Whirled Cinema (12 to 18 NOV). JURASSIC PARK 35mm at The Prince Charles (09 to 15 NOV). MANDY at The Prince Charles (until 19 NOV). MIRAI + RECORDED INTRO by writer/director Mamoru Hosoda at Picturehouse Central (09 to 14 NOV). PETERLOO at The Lexi (09 to 15 NOV). PUTIN’S WITNESSES at DocHouse (08 to 13 NOV). TIME FOR ILHAN at DocHouse (09 to 15 NOV). SUSPIRIA (1977) at The Prince Charles (until 15 NOV). WILDLIFE at Genesis Cinema (09 to 15 NOV).
MORE: weekly digests // monthly roundups // event calendar // festivals A to Z.
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
SIGN UP to our free eNEWS for regular updates about London’s indie cinema scene.
SUPPORT our work at RADIANT CIRCUS and help promote indie cinema in London. As a Patron, you will get our unique SCREEN GUIDES delivered directly to your inbox, exclusive discounts for screen events and much more!
FOLLOW US on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram for daily updates.
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.