SCREEN GUIDE DAILY: Films in London today 10.11.19
RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Find films in London today by: SINGLE-O EXHIBITS (one-off attractions) // MUSEUM SHOWS (several exhibits under one roof – seasons & festivals) // GRIND SHOWS (a selection of regular runs).
OF TIME AND THE SEA aka Baħar Żmien d. Peter Sant, 2018 + Q&A with the director UK Premiere at ICA (10 NOV 18:00):
- “Australian director Peter Sant’s debut feature is a Maltese-language film about stasis and slow change. On a remote island, an elderly man wracked with dementia dreams he was once a king. His two daughters exist alongside him in a strange region that has recently succumbed to a bizarre malady of mysterious origin.”
NEW AT RADIANT CIRCUS
To help you plan ahead, we’ve posted our epic roundup of London’s repertory seasons & film festivals for the month of November.
Maybe it’s the changeable weather, maybe it’s the General Election or maybe we’re just getting tired at this time of year, but our feel-good featured attraction of the month just has to be MUSICALS! at BFI. The ongoing season goes into hyperdrive this month with singalongs, giant screen events at BFI IMAX and a host of strands and special features. The perfect way to escape the November gloom.
We’re delighted to share news that Screen25 in South Norwood has achieved its target of 100 champions & will now be keeping its doors open. Carry on supporting this vibrant community cinema by buying tickets for their autumn season (for which we can tempt you with a juicy discount…).
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
ALRAUNE d. Henrik Galeen, 1928 + Live Accompaniment by Stephen Horne & Martin Pyne at Barbican (10 NOV 15:00):
- “In this fable about the dangers of genetic engineering, a test-tube baby grows up to become a dangerous vamp. Despite advancing some pretty retro ideas about female sexuality, the film provides a wonderfully sexy, wicked role for Brigitte Helm and features some terrific 20s fashions.”
FINDING VIVIAN MAIER d. John Maloof & Charlie Siskel, 2013 + Discussion at Deptford Cinema (10 NOV 14:30):
- Deptford Cinema Film & Book Club presents: “A focus on street photographer Vivian Maier, pairing John Maloof and Charlie Siskel’s fascinating documentary FINDING VIVIAN MAIER with Christine Hesselholdt’s acclaimed fictionalised biography, Vivian, translated and published this year by Fitzcarraldo Editions.”
More films in London today (A – Z):
- 2040 d. Damon Gameau, 2019 + Q&A with the director at Genesis Cinema (10 NOV 13:30).
- BEANPOLE d. Kantemir Balagov, 2019 at ICA (10 NOV 20:50).
- BY THE GRACE OF GOD d. Francois Ozon, 2018 at Ciné Lumière (10 NOV 19:15).
- CLARA IMMERWAHR d. Harald Sicheritz, 2014 presented by London Socialist Film Co-op at Bolivar Hall (10 NOV 11:00).
- MILES DAVIS: BIRTH OF THE COOL d. Stanley Nelson, 2019 at ICA (10 NOV 12:25).
- NON-FICTION d. Olivier Assayas, 2018 at Ciné Lumière (10 NOV 12:50).
- PAIN & GLORY d. Pedro Almodóvar, 2019 at ICA (10 NOV 12:30).
- PATHS OF GLORY d. Stanley Kubrick, 1957 presented by Stow Film Lounge at Mirth, Marvel & Maud (10 NOV 14:15).
- THE SOUVENIR d. Joanna Hogg, 2019 at Whirled Cinema (10 NOV 18:00).
> SIGN UP for free Friday emails highlighting 7 days of sensational screens.
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
20 YEARS at House Of Vans (01 NOV to 01 DEC – FREE!/No booking required):
- THE GREEN MILE d. Frank Darabont, 1999 (10 NOV 14:00 & 16:00).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: REAL TO REEL at BFI Southbank (OCT to NOV):
- THIS SPORTING LIFE d. Lindsay Anderson, 1963 (10 NOV 17:35).
- APOCALYPSE NOW: FINAL CUT 4K d. Francis Ford Coppola, 1979 (10 NOV 19:30).
CLOSE-UP ON RAINER WERNER FASSBINDER at Close-Up (01 OCT to 01 DEC):
- A YEAR OF 13 MOONS d. Rainer Werner Fassbinder, 1978 (10 NOV 17:30).
THE FALL OF THE BERLIN WALL at DocHouse (08 to 15 NOV):
- MEETING GORBACHEV d. Werner Herzog & André Singer, 2018 + Q&A with co-director André Singer (10 NOV 18:00).
HIDDEN FIGURES: HA GIL-JONG at Barbican (04 to 10 NOV):
- THE ASCENSION OF HAN-NE 35mm d. Ha Gil-jong, 1977 + Intro by Hyun Jin Cho, Director of the London Korean Film Festival (10 NOV 18:00).
KAZUHIRO SODA at Deptford Cinema (06 OCT to 10 NOV):
- INLAND SEA d. Kazuhiro Soda, 2018 (10 NOV 18:30).
MAURICE PIALET AND THE NEW FRENCH REALISM at BFI Southbank (OCT to NOV):
- PASSE TON BAC D’ABORD d. Maurice Pialat, 1978 (10 NOV 14:10).
- Sight & Sound Deep Focus: COLD WATER aka L’eau Froide d. Olivier Assayas, 1994 (10 NOV 19:50).
MUSICALS! THE GREATEST SHOW ON SCREEN at BFI Southbank (OCT to DEC):
- CABIN IN THE SKY 35mm d. Vincente Minnelli, 1943 (10 NOV 15:10).
- Family Screenings: MARY POPPINS d. Robert Stevenson, 1964 (10 NOV 12:30).
- Barbara Streisand: FUNNY GIRL d. William Wyler, 1968 (10 NOV 16:20).
ROM COMS at Everyman Maida Vale (20 OCT to 10 NOV).
- PRETTY WOMAN d. Garry Marshall, 1990 (10 NOV 13:00).
THE TALENTED MR DELON at Ciné Lumière (20 OCT to 26 NOV):
- LA PISCINE d. Jacques Deray, 1969 (10 NOV 14:00).
WES ANDERSON SEASON at Everyman Hampstead (03 to 17 NOV):
- MOONRISE KINGDOM d. Wes Anderson, 2012 (10 NOV 13:30).
> SUBSCRIBE to get our full listings emailed & support #LDNindieFILM.
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- Czech Velvet 1989-2019 (01 to 29 NOV inc. Made In Prague Film Festival 08 to 11 NOV).
- Doc’n Roll Festival (01 to 17 NOV).
- London Korean Film Festival (01 to 24 NOV).
- Tibet Film Festival (09 to 10 NOV).
- UK Jewish Film Festival (06 to 21 NOV).
- We The Peoples Film Festival (10 to 26 NOV).
THE CROW 35mm d. Alex Proyas, 1994 at The Prince Charles (10 NOV 12:45):
- “The night before his wedding, musician Eric Draven (Brandon Lee) and his fiancée are brutally murdered by members of a violent inner-city gang. On the anniversary of their death, Eric rises from the grave and assumes the gothic mantle of the Crow, a supernatural avenger.”
THE IRISHMAN d. Martin Scorsese, 2019 at Rio Cinema (10 NOV 19:15):
- “Robert De Niro, Al Pacino and Joe Pesci star in Martin Scorsese’s monumental mobster masterpiece THE IRISHMAN, an epic saga that is poignant, funny, and a majestic elegy on mortality.”
MEETING GORBACHEV d. Werner Herzog & André Singer, 2019 at The Castle Cinema (10 NOV 13:00 & 18:00):
- “Leading the Soviet Union through its period of greatest change, Mikhail Gorbachev was the architect of its democratisation, introducing perestroika and glasnost, but ultimately resigning as, against his wishes, its collapse became inevitable.”
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- A DOG CALLED MONEY d. Seamus Murphy, 2019 at ICA (08 to 14 NOV). BLADE RUNNER : THE FINAL CUT d. Ridley Scott, 1982 at The Prince Charles (until 13 NOV). BY THE GRACE OF GOD d. Francois Ozon, 2018 at Watermans (08 to 14 NOV). DOCTOR SLEEP d. Mike Flanagan, 2019 at Rich Mix (until 14 NOV). THE LAST BLACK MAN IN SAN FRANCISCO d. Joe Talbot, 2019 at ICA (until 14 NOV). LUCE d. Julius Onah, 2019 at Rio Cinema (08 to 14 NOV). MONOS d. Alejandro Landes, 2019 at ICA (until 14 NOV). SORRY WE MISSED YOU d. Ken Loach, 2019 at Peckhamplex (until 14 NOV). TRANSIT d. Christian Petzold, 2018 at Whirled Cinema (11 to 17 NOV). TRIXIE MATTEL: MOVING PARTS d. Nick Zeig-Owens, 2019 at DocHouse (until 13 NOV). YVES SAINT-LAURENT: THE LAST COLLECTIONS d. Olivier Myron, 2018 at ICA (until 14 NOV).
Subscribe & support
RADIANT CIRCUS – “Home of alternative screen culture in London” (Film London) – is supported entirely by readers’ monthly subscriptions. Subscribers get our listings emailed directly as well as other great rewards. With enough subscribers backing us, we will be able to: 1) establish RADIANT CIRCUS as a permanent resource; 2) fund a full site rebuild to make our listings more social and searchable; and, 3) stage free events for subscribers as our way of saying a huge thank you! Our target? One thousand passionate film fans sharing what they love so that many more can discover it. Subscribe at patreon.com/radiantcircus
“I love everything you’re doing with RADIANT CIRCUS, the output is brilliant. And just so great to see it grow. Kudos to you.” (A fan via email!).
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.