RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
LONDON UNPLUGGED d. various, 2018 + Q&A with filmmakers at Everyman Kings Cross (11 FEB 19:30):
- “LONDON UNPLUGGED is a portmanteau exploration of disparate characters scattered across London. A refreshing take on the complexities, contradictions and compromises of modern living in the greatest city on Earth.”
NEW AT RADIANT CIRCUS
- SCREEN CULTURE: We chatted to Polish artist Aleksander Walijewski about his unique poster design for MIDNIGHT EXCESS: THE STUD/THE BITCH (16 FEB 23:00+ at Rio Cinema).
- NOW BOOKING: Deptford Cinema has announced a new INGMAR BERGMAN SEASON (17 FEB to 02 MAY).
- VALENTINE’S 2019: Find out what’s screening across London this month in our Valentine’s Day roundup of romantic film events.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
BAFTA Awards 2019 Short Film Nominees at Curzon Bloomsbury (11 FEB 18:20 – Currently looks SOLD OUT!):
- What unites Paddy Considine, Peter Capaldi, Tinge Krishnan and Lynne Ramsay? They’ve all won a short film BAFTA. And you too can unearth new talent by booking your ticket for the BAFTA Shorts tour 2019. In various cinemas and on demand.
COLD WAR d. Paweł Pawlikowski, 2018 + Q&A with the director & Adam Curtis at Curzon Mayfair (11 FEB 18:15):
- Paweł Pawlikowski follows his Oscar-winning IDA with the stunning COLD WAR, an epic romance set against the backdrop of Europe after World War II. Sumptuously shot in luminous black and white, it spans decades and nations to tell a love story that is as tragic as it is moving, and as transportive as it is honest.
More films in London today (A – Z):
- A FEW GOOD MEN d. Rob Reiner, 1992 at Dulwich Picture Gallery (11 FEB 19:30).
- BERGMAN: A YEAR IN A LIFE d. Jane Magnusson, 2018 at JW3 (11 Feb 13:30).
- BOUNCE CINEMA short film programme at Rich Mix (11 FEB 19:00).
- COLD WAR d. Paweł Pawlikowski, 2018 at Regent Street Cinema (11 FEB 18:30).
- THE FAVOURITE d. Yorgos Lanthinos, 2018 at Regent Street Cinema (11 FEB 20:30).
- RBG d. Julie Cohen & Betsy West, 2018 at DocHouse (11 FEB 14:30).
- SORRY TO BOTHER YOU d. Boots Riley, 2018 at The Prince Charles (11 FEB 16:15).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
AND THE NOMINEES ARE… OSCARS 2019 at The Prince Charles (until 04 MAY):
- SPIDER-MAN: INTO THE SPIDER-VERSE d. Rodney Rothman, Bob Persichetti & Peter Ramsey, 2018 (11 FEB 18:25).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: AND THE ACADEMY AWARD DIDN’T GO TO… at BFI Southbank (FEB):
- HAROLD & MAUDE d. Hal Ashby, 1971 (11 FEB 20:45).
FORGOTTEN BLACK TV DRAMA at BFI Southbank (FEB):
- CLUB HAVANA + YOU IN YOUR SMALL CORNER + INTRO d. Pam Brighton, 1975 + Claude Whatham, 1962 (11 FEB 18:00).
LOVE IS IN THE AIR at The Prince Charles (08 to 17 FEB):
- THEY CAME TOGETHER d. David Wain, 2014 (11 FEB 18:45).
- YOU’VE GOT MAIL 35mm d. Nora Ephron, 1998 (11 FEB 20:45).
STARRING BARBARA STANWYCK at BFI Southbank (FEB to MAR):
- GOLDEN BOY 35mm d. Rouben Mamoulian, 1939 (11 FEB 18:20).
- THE STRANGE LOVE OF MARTHA IVERS 35mm d. Lewis Milestone, 1946 (11 FEB 20:40).
UNSEEN IN 2018 at Deptford Cinema (01 FEB 19:00):
- THE RIDER d. Chloe Zhao, 2018 (11 FEB 19:30).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
We don’t think there are any film festivals in London today…
AMÉRICA d. Erick Stoll & Chase Whiteside, 2018 at DocHouse (11 FEB 16:40):
- An astonishingly tender observational film about three brothers caring for their 93-year-old grandmother, América. What initially seems to be a narrative about one of the brothers just passing the time by the beach suddenly shifts when their dad is charged with neglecting América.
IF BEALE STREET COULD TALK d. Barry Jenkins, 2019 at Rich Mix (11 FEB 18:00 & 20:45):
- Set in early 1970s Harlem, IF BEALE STREET COULD TALK tells the story of Tish and Fonny. The couple’s sweet romance is horribly derailed when Fonny is falsely accused of rape and imprisoned. Tish and their families race to clear his name before their baby is born.
YELLOW IS FORBIDDEN d. Pietra Brettkelly, 2018 at DocHouse (11 FEB 18:30):
- Givenchy, Lagerfeld, Chanel, Dior Gaultier… It is perhaps the most exclusive club in the world. 21. Mostly men. European. Now there may be another name added to that list. From a country with the world’s largest population, Guo Pei is China’s only haute couture designer, with one of her pieces taking 50,000 painstaking hours to complete.
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- ALL IS TRUE d. Kenneth Branagh, 2018 at ArtHouse Crouch End (08 to 14 FEB). BOY ERASED d. Joel Edgerton, 2018 at Picturehouse Central (08 to 14 FEB – Other Picturehouses available!). BURNING d. Lee Chang-dong, 2018 at Watermans (08 to 14 FEB). CAN YOU EVER FORGIVE ME? d. Marielle Heller, 2018 at JW3 (until 14 FEB). COLETTE d. Wash Westmoreland, 2018 at The Prince Charles (08 to 14 FEB). THE FAVOURITE d. Yorgos Lanthimos, 2018 at Ciné Lumière (08 to 13 FEB). FREE SOLO d. Jimmy Chin & Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi, 2018 at ICA (until 13 FEB). GREEN BOOK d. Peter Farrelly, 2018 at The Castle Cinema (until 14 FEB). HALE COUNTY THIS MORNING, THIS EVENING d. RaMell Ross, 2018 at BFI (08 to 11 FEB). LEAVE NO TRACE d. Debra Granik, 2018 at Whirled Cinema (11 to 17 FEB). MARY QUEEN OF SCOTS d. Josie Rourke, 2018 at Regent Street Cinema (until 13 FEB). ONE CUT OF THE DEAD d. Shinichiro Ueda, 2018 at The Prince Charles (until 13 FEB). SHOPLIFTERS d. Hirokazu Kore-eda, 2018 at ICA (until 14 FEB). VICE d. Adam McKay, 2018 at The Lexi (until 14 FEB).
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
SIGN UP to our free eNEWS for regular updates about London’s indie cinema scene.
SUPPORT our work at RADIANT CIRCUS and help promote indie cinema in London. As a Patron, you will get our unique SCREEN GUIDES delivered directly to your inbox, exclusive discounts for screen events and much more!
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.