RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
GIRL d. Lukas Dhont, 2018 at BFI (11 MAR 20:30):
- “Fifteen-year-old Lara (Victor Polster) is on the path to get the gender reassignment surgery she so desperately wants. Despite strong support from her father and younger brother, the physical and emotional pressures of her dance academy – as well her own impatience – are slowly starting to take their toll. “
NEW AT RADIANT CIRCUS
RADIANT CIRCUS is celebrating our first year of subscriber support by sharing some of our favourite discoveries from our voyages around London’s independent cinema scene. From pop-ups in gin palaces to floating cinemas & historic buildings, London is full of alternative places to catch a film (or two). Discover more #LDNindieFILM.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
Films in London today (A – Z):
- BAD LIEUTENANT: PORT OF CALL NEW ORLEANS d. Werner Herzog, 2009 at The Prince Charles (11 MAR 20:45).
- BOY ERASED d. Joel Edgerton, 2018 at JW3 (11 Mar 13:00).
- CAPERNAUM d. Nadine Labaki, 2018 at Regent Street Cinema (11 MAR 20:50).
- THE HUDSUCKER PROXY 35mm d. Joel Coen & Ethan Coen, 1994 at The Prince Charles (11 MAR 18:15).
- Jewish Britain On Film illustrated talk by Dr Julia Wagner at Rio Cinema (11 MAR 15:00).
- THE PONDS d. Patrick McLennan and Samuel Smith, 2019 + Q&A with the directors at Picturehouse Central (11 MAR 18:30).
- PRETTY WOMAN d. Garry Marshal , 1990 at Dulwich Picture Gallery (11 MAR 19:00).
- THE SOCRATES OF PRAGUE + SHORT + TALKS presented by the Rimbaud and Verlaine Foundation & Czech Centre at Regent Street Cinema (11 MAR 18:30 – FREE!/Booking required).
- TEDDY PENDERGRASS: IF YOU DON’T KNOW ME d. Olivia Lichtenstein, 2018 at DocHouse (11 MAR 20:00).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
AND THE NOMINEES ARE… OSCARS 2019 at The Prince Charles (until 04 MAY):
- FREE SOLO d. Jimmy Chin & Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi, 2018 (11 MAR 13:15 & 18:30).
- SPIDER-MAN: INTO THE SPIDER-VERSE d. Rodney Rothman, Bob Persichetti & Peter Ramsey, 2018 (11 MAR 15:30).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: AND THE ACADEMY AWARD DIDN’T GO TO… at BFI Southbank (FEB):
- LE CRIME DE MONSIEUR LANGE d. Jean Renoir, 1936 (11 MAR 20:50).
EUROPEAN CONNECTIONS: Classic Plays from Europe Brought to Life on British TV at BFI Southbank (MAR):
- THE HOUSE OF BERNARDA ALBA d. Claude Whatham, 1976 (11 MAR 18:20).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
We don’t think there are any film festivals in London today. DM if we’ve missed you @radiantcircus.com
BORDER d. Ali Abassi, 2018 at Arthouse Crouch End (11 MAR 13:20 & 20:45):
- “Customs officer Tina is known for her extraordinary sense of smell. It’s almost as if she can sniff out the guilt on anyone hiding something. But when Vore, a suspicious-looking man, walks past her, her abilities are challenged for the first time ever.”
SHAKESPEARE WALLAH d. James Ivory, 1965 at BFI (11 MAR 18:15):
- “Perhaps the most accurate account ever made of British India in its death-throes, SHAKESPEARE WALLAH (newly restored) remains a firm favourite in the Merchant-Ivory canon. Their second film with writer Ruth Prawer Jhabvala is a portrait of a group of travelling players trying to keep Shakespeare alive in the sticks.”
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- THE AFTERMATH d. James Kent, 2019 at JW3 (08 to 14 MAR). ALIEN d. Ridley Scott, 1979 New Restoration at The Prince Charles (until 14 MAR). BOY ERASED d. Joel Edgerton, 2018 at Watermans (08 to 14 MAR). BURNING d. Lee Chang-dong, 2018 at ICA (until 14 MAR). CAPERNAUM d. Nadine Labaki, 2018 at Rich Mix (08 to 14 MAR). EVERYBODY KNOWS aka Todos lo Saben d. Asghar Farhadi, 2018 at Ciné Lumière (08 to 21 MAR). FOXTROT d. Samuel Maoz, 2017 at JW3 (10 to 14 MAR). THE HOUSE THAT JACK BUILT d. Lars Von Trier, 2018 at Whirled Cinema (11 to 17 MAR). IF BEALE STREET COULD TALK d. Barry Jenkins, 2018 at Watermans (08 to 14 MAR). THE KINDERGARTEN TEACHER d. Sara Colangelo, 2018 at Rio Cinema (08 to 14 MAR). MAIDEN d. Alex Holmes, 2018 at The Castle Cinema (08 to 14 MAR). OF LOVE & LAW d. Hikaru Toda, 2017 at DocHouse (until 12 MAR). THE PONDS d. Patrick McLennan & Samuel Smith, 2018 at ArtHouse Crouch End (until 21 MAR – Q&A on 09 & 10). RAY & LIZ d. Richard Billingham, 2018 at ICA (until 14 MAR). SAUVAGE d. Camille Vidal-Naquet, 2018 at ICA (until 14 MAR). SHOPLIFTERSd. Hirokazu Kore-eda, 2018 at ICA (until 14 MAR).
And that’s the meat of it…
Follow RADIANT CIRCUS to discover more #LDNindieFILM:
Sign up for free Friday emails packed full of handpicked highlights.
RADIANT CIRCUS is patron powered, supported by readers’ monthly subscriptions, which start at just £2.99/month. With enough subscribers backing us, we will be able to: 1) establish RADIANT CIRCUS as a permanent resource; 2) fund a site rebuild to make our listings fully searchable; and, 3) stage free events for subscribers as our way of saying a huge thank you! Our target? One thousand passionate film fans sharing what they love so that many more can discover it. Join the circus at patreon.com/radiantcircus
“A lot of love, time & effort being put into these really useful & comprehensive listings.” (A fan, via Twitter).
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.