RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
CUNNINGHAM 3D d. Alla Kovgan, 2019 + Q&A with the director, Philip Selway (Radiohead), Siobhan Davies & Alastair Macaulay at Barbican (11 MAR 18:30 – Currently looking SOLD OUT!/Check venue):
- “A beautiful documentary about the legendary American choreographer, Merce Cunningham. Orchestrated through his iconic works and performed by the last generation of his dancers, the film traces Cunningham’s artistic evolution over three decades of risk and discovery (1944–1972). 3D technology weaves together Merce’s philosophies and stories.”
> MORE Get the RADIANT CIRCUS view of this week’s unmissable events.
Keep RADIANT CIRCUS listing far into the future by taking out a low cost monthly subscription at Patreon: get great rewards & help us continue to build & grow. THANK YOU!
NEW AT RADIANT CIRCUS
Read our epic MARCH roundup of all London’s repertory seasons & film festivals.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
Charlotte Prodger: Triple Bill + Intro by the artist & Erika Balsom at Tate Modern (11 MAR 18:30):
- “2018 Turner Prize winner Charlotte Prodger joins us to present, together for the first time, a trilogy of films that confront complex questions of identity and queerness. Includes: STONEYMOLLAN TRAIL (2015), BRIDGIT (2016), and SAF05 (2019). The screening is accompanied by an essay about the work, written by artist Helen Marten.”
THE GREAT BUSTER d. Peter Bogdanovich, 2018 + Intro/Q&A with Paul Merton & David Macleod at Picturehouse Central (11 MAR 18:30).
- “Celebrates the life and career of one of America’s most influential and celebrated filmmakers and comedians, Buster Keaton, whose singular style and fertile output during the silent era created his legacy as a true cinematic visionary. Filled with stunningly restored archival Keaton films, The Great Buster is directed by filmmaker and cinema historian, Peter Bogdanovich.”
TATJANA 35mm d. Robert Dinesen, 1923 + Intro by Michelle Facey & Live Piano Accompaniment by John Sweeney at The Cinema Museum (11 MAR 19:30):
- Kennington Bioscope presents: “Another find from the BFI archive on 35mm film – Robert Dinesen’s 1923 UFA Super-Production TATJANA, produced by Erich Pommer. We will be showing the British release print of the film from 1927 which was retitled as He Who Covets. A tale of Russia, the Bolshevik uprising and revolution in a rural setting, entwined with a story of desire and deception. “
More films in London today (A – Z):
- A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE d. Elia Kazan, 1951 at Curzon Aldgate (11 MAR 18:20 – Other Curzons available!).
- THE COLOUR OF POMEGRANATES d. Sergei Parajanov, 1969 presented by No Bollox Film Club at The Castle Cinema (11 MAR 19:00).
- ESCAPE FROM PRETORIA d. Francis Annan, 2020 + Q&A with the director & actor Ian Hart at Genesis Cinema (11 MAR 18:15).
- FREAKED d. Tom Stern & Alex Winter, 1993 + Q&A with the directors (Alex Winter via Skype) presented by Mondo at The Prince Charles (11 MAR 20:45).
- Fringe! Shorts: I Know Places Short Film Programme at Colours Hoxton (11 MAR 19:00 – Pay-What-You-Decide).
- I COULD GO ON SINGING 35mm d. Ronald Neame, 1963 at Regent Street Cinema (11 MAR 12:00 & 15:30).
- JIHAD JANE d. Ciaran Cassidy, 2019 + Panel Discussion at Curzon Soho (11 MAR 18:30).
- JUDY d. Rupert Goold, 2019 presented by Screen25 Cinema at Harris Academy South Norwood (11 MAR 19:45).
- MAGNIFICENT OBSESSION 35mm d. Douglas Sirk, 1954 + Intro by Prof. Dr Barbara Flueckiger at BFI Southbank (11 MAR 18:10).
- MONSIGNOR QUIXOTE d. Rodney Bennett, 1971 presented by Pitshanger Pictures at St Barnabas Church, Ealing (11 MAR 20:15).
- MR. JONES d. Agnieszka Holland, 2019 at Ciné Lumière (11 MAR 18:05).
- OUTSIDE THE CITY d. Nick Hamer, 2019 + Q&A at Phoenix Cinema (11 MAR 20:30).
- THE PERSONAL HISTORY OF DAVID COPPERFIELD d. Armando Iannucci, 2019 at The David Lean (11 MAR 14:30 HOH).
- SHOW ME THE PICTURE: THE STORY OF JIM MARSHALL d. Alfred George Bailey, 2019 at Regent Street Cinema (11 MAR 20:30).
- Tales Of The Silk Road – Chapter 4: Jordan Short Film Programme presented by Shorts On Tap & Bagri Foundation at Rich Mix (11 MAR 19:00).
- TONI MORRISON: THE PIECES I AM d. Timothy Greenfield-Sanders, 2019 at JW3 (11 MAR 20:30).
> SIGN UP for free Friday emails highlighting 7 days of sensational screens.
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
1999 – 2019: EXPLORING 20 YEARS OF SCI-FI at The Prince Charles (2020):
- COLOR OUT OF SPACE d. Richard Stanley, 2019 (until 19 MAR/Check venue to details).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: MAN VS NATURE at BFI Southbank (MAR):
- A ZED & TWO NOUGHTS d. Peter Greenaway, 1985 + Intro by Justin Johnson (11 MAR 18:15).
THE CINEMA OF JESSICA HAUSNER at BFI Southbank (FEB to MAR):
- New Releases: LITTLE JOE d. Jessica Hausner, 2019 (11 MAR 20:40).
CLOSE UP: CÉLINE SCIAMMA at BFI Southbank (MAR):
- WATER LILLIES 35mm aka Naissance des Pieuvres d. Céline Sciamma, 2007 (11 MAR 20:50).
- New Releases: PORTRAIT OF A LADY ON FIRE d. Céline Sciamma, 2019 (until 18 MAR/Check venue for details).
ELIA KAZAN: THE ACTORS’ DIRECTOR at BFI Southbank (FEB to MAR):
- SPLENDOR IN THE GRASS 35mm d. Elia Kazan, 1961 (11 MAR 20:30).
ESSENTIAL CINEMA at Close-Up (DEC to MAR):
- THE COLOUR OF POMEGRANATES d. Sergei Parajanov, 1969 (11 MAR 21:00).
IS THIS YESTERDAY? at Deptford Cinema (12 FEB to 08 APR):
- THEM! d. Gordon Douglas, 1954 (11 MAR 19:30).
RIGHTS AT RISK: YESTERDAY / TOMORROW at DocHouse (FEB to MAR):
- PUSH d. Fredrik Gertten, 2019 (until 19 MAR/Check venue for details).
ROBERT EGGERS at The Prince Charles (FEB to MAR):
- THE LIGHTHOUSE d. Robert Eggers, 2019 (until 19 MAR/Check venue for details).
TILDA SWINTON at BFI Southbank (MAR):
- The Seasons in Quincy: Four Portraits of John Berger Screenings + Discussion (11 MAR 18:20 – Currently looking SOLD OUT!/Check venue).
WOMEN’S HISTORY MONTH at DocHouse (MAR):
- TONI MORRISON: THE PIECES I AM d. Timothy Greenfield-Sanders, 2019 (until 19 MAR/Check venue for details).
> SUBSCRIBE to get our full listings emailed & support #LDNindieFILM.
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- Banff Mountain Film Festival (10 to 23 MAR).
- Crystal Palace International Film Festival (05 to 28 MAR).
- Kendal Mountain Festival UK Tour (11 MAR).
TONI MORRISON: THE PIECES I AM d. Timothy Greenfield-Sanders, 2019 at ArtHouse Crouch End (11 MAR 12:15 & 17:50):
- “An artful and intimate meditation on the life and works of the legendary storyteller and Nobel Prize winner – from her childhood in the steel town of Lorain, Ohio to ’70s era book tours with Muhammad Ali – from the front lines with Angela Davis to her own riverfront writing room. Toni Morrison leads an assembly of her peers, critics and colleagues on an exploration of race, America, history and the human condition as seen through the prism of her own literature.”
VITALINA VARELA d. Pedro Costa, 2019 at Barbican (11 MAR 20:35):
- “The latest film from Pedro Costa, which follows a Cape Verdean woman left behind when her husband leaves to find work in Portugal. Years later, the titular Vitalina finally makes the journey to Lisbon herself but arrives three days after her husband’s funeral.”
WOMEN’S DAY d. Dolya Gavanski, 2019 at DocHouse (11 MAR 18:30):
- “As an actress in London, director Dolya Gavanski has played a dizzying array of Russian stereotypes from spies to prostitutes and oligarchs’ wives. But the women she remembered from her Soviet days were different. Gavanski sets out to hear the stories of the women who shaped the narrative of 20th century USSR, including the Nobel Prize for Literature winning author Svetlana Alexievich, internet sensation Elena Krygina and exiled feminist dissident Natalya Malakhovskaya.”
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- COLOR OUT OF SPACE d. Richard Stanley, 2019 at The Prince Charles (until 12 MAR). DARK WATERS d. Todd Haynes, 2019 at Genesis Cinema (until 12 MAR). EMMA d. Autumn de Wilde, 2020 at Catford Mews (until 12 MAR). ESCAPE FROM PRETORIA d. Francis Annan, 2020 at JW3 (06 to 12 MAR). THE FAREWELL d. Lulu Wang, 2019 at Whirled Cinema (09 to 15 MAR). THE LIGHTHOUSE d. Robert Eggers, 2019 at The Prince Charles (until 12 MAR). LITTLE JOE d. Jessica Hausner, 2019 at ICA (06 to 12 MAR). PARASITE d. Bong Joon-ho, 2019 at Rich Mix (until 12 MAR). PORTRAIT OF A LADY ON FIRE d. Céline Sciamma, 2019 at ArtHouse Crouch End (until 12 MAR). PUSH d. Fredrik Gertten, 2019 at Rio Cinema (until 12 MAR). QUEEN & SLIM d. Melina Matsoukas, 2019 at Genesis Cinema (until 12 MAR). THE TRUE HISTORY OF THE KELLY GANG d. Justin Kurzel, 2019 at Catford Mews (06 to 12 MAR). WAITING FOR ANYA d. Ben Cookson, 2019 presented by UKJF at JW3 (until 12 MAR).
Subscribe & support
“Home of alternative screen culture in London” (Film London)
RADIANT CIRCUS is supported entirely by readers’ monthly subscriptions. Subscribers get our unique listings emailed as well as other great rewards. With enough subscribers backing us, we will be able to: 1) keep listing far into the future, 2) expand our content to explore more indie screen events, & 3) recruit & reward a team of new contributors. Our target in 2020? One hundred new monthly subscribers supporting what they love so that many more can discover it. Subscribe at patreon.com/radiantcircus
“I love everything you’re doing with RADIANT CIRCUS, the output is brilliant. And just so great to see it grow. Kudos to you.” (A fan via email!).
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.