RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Featured attraction: THE BEACHES OF AGNÈS + Q&A with Agnès Varda (11 JUL 18:10), part of AGNÈS VARDA: VISION OF AN ARTIST at BFI Southbank (JUN to JUL): “An elegant, eccentric and distinctively literary meditation on the Proustian themes of memory and self, and a reminder of her own previous discussions of film-making as cinécriture.” – Peter Bradshaw, The Guardian.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
DAY OF WRATH 35mm + INTRO by Geoff Andrew at BFI Southbank (11 JUL 18:15):
- Denmark, the 17th century: an elderly parson, recently cursed by someone he sent to the stake, marries the daughter – roughly the same age as his own son – of another woman suspected of witchcraft. Supernatural superstition and sensual, earthly passion collide in this tale of love’s torment.
GETEVEN at The Book Club (11 JUL 19:00 – POSTPONED TO 24 JUL!):
- Crap Film Club presents: A “fast-moving, multi-dimensional action romance”, GETEVEN (aka “Road to Revenge”, aka “Champagne & Bullets”) is the passion project and singular vision of LA-based attorney and struggling actor John De Hart, a man who very much belongs in the same category of egomaniac as Tommy Wiseau.
The Machine That Kills Bad People presents: MUNDANE HISTORY + THE DRAGON IS THE FRAME at ICA (11 JUL 18:45):
- A bi-monthly film club programmed by Erika Balsom, Beatrice Gibson, Maria Palacios Cruz and Ben Rivers. Director Anocha Suwichakornpong’s debut feature MUNDANE HISTORY (Jao Nok Krajok) is an intimate tale of family and care in contemporary Thailand that is awash with phantasmagorical undertones. Also, THE DRAGON IS THE FRAME, a 16mm short film by New York based artist and filmmaker Mary Helena Clark.
More films in London today (A – Z): 120 BPM in partnership with Croydon Pride presented by Screen25 at Harris Academy South Norwood (11 JUL 19:30). APHEX TWIN ON FILM presented by Deeper Into Movies at Moth Club (11 JUL 19:00 – POSTPONED to 17 JUL!). ARCADIA at BFI (11 JUL 14:30). THE ARTIST 35mm presented by 69 Colebrooke Row at Everyman Screen on The Green (11 JUL 20:00). BACK TO THE FUTURE at Rooftop Film Club, Shoreditch (11 JUL 21:00). BLACK PANTHER at Rooftop Film Club, Peckham (11 JUL 21:00). CADDYSHACK at The Prince Charles (11 JUL 18:15 – £1 PCC Members’ Screening). COOL RUNNINGS at Rooftop Film Club, Stratford (11 JUL 21:00). DARK PASSAGE presented by Kennington Noir at The Cinema Museum (11 JUL 19:30). FUNNY COW part of Croydon Comedy Festival at The David Lean (11 JUL 19:30). THE HAPPY PRINCE at Regent Street Cinema (11 JUL 18:30 & 20:40). MY GENERATION presented by Pitshanger Pictures at St Barnabas Millennium Halls (11 JUL 20:15). THE PIANO at JW3 (11 JUL 14:30). SOUTH PACIFIC at Regent Street Cinema (11 JUL 12:00 & 15:30).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
19TH BIRTHDAY at Genesis Cinema (03 to 12 JUL):
- INCEPTION 35mm (11 JUL 20:40).
70mm at BFI IMAX (to 11 JUL):
- LAWRENCE OF ARABIA 70mm (11 JUL 13:50 & 18:30).
AGNÈS VARDA: VISION OF AN ARTIST at BFI Southbank (JUN to JUL):
- THE BEACHES OF AGNES + Q&A with Agnès Varda (11 JUL 18:10).
- ONE HUNDRED & ONE NIGHTS (11 JUL 20:45).
JACQUES RANCIÈRE: PHILOSOPHY & CINEMA at Close-Up (04 to 28 JUL):
- EUROPA ’51 (11 JUL 19:30).
JEAN-PIERRE MELVILLE 35mm Selectrospective at The Prince Charles (11 JUL to 19 SEP):
- LE CERCLE ROUGE 35mm (11 JUL 20:35).
PRIDE MONTH at Ciné Lumière (12 JUN to 11 JUL):
- THE WOUND (11 JUL 16:20).
- A LEAP IN THE DARK (11 JUL 20:30, BFI).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
DukeFest 2018 (08 to 11 JUL):
- Closing Night – The 35MM Trailer Party: The End Of The Trilogy (11 JUL 21:00, The Prince Charles).
MARY SHELLEY at Phoenix Cinema (11 JUL 11:00 Baby / 18:10 HoH):
- The tempestuous romance that inspired one of Gothic literature’s most influential works is brought to life in MARY SHELLEY, a luscious and moving period drama starring Elle Fanning as the radical young writer. Directed by Haifaa Al-Mansour.
SHAKEDOWN at ICA (11 JUL 21:00).
- ‘Shakedown’ was a series of parties founded by and for African American women in Los Angeles that featured go-go dancing and strip shows for the city’s lesbian underground scene.
TERMINAL at The Prince Charles (11 JUL 13:00):
- In the dark heart of a sprawling anonymous city, TERMINAL follows the twisting tales of two assassins carrying out a sinister mission, a teacher battling a fatal illness, an enigmatic janitor and a curious waitress leading a dangerous double life.
More films in London this week (A – Z): BEAUTY AND THE DOGS at ICA (06 to 10 JUL). THE ENDLESS at The Prince Charles (06 to 12 JUL). LADY BIRD at Whirled Cinema (09 to 12 JUL). MAQUIA: WHEN THE PROMISED FLOWER BLOOMS at ICA (07 to 11 JUL). MARY & THE WITCH’S FLOWER at The Prince Charles (06 to 12 JUL). MCQUEEN at The Castle Cinema (06 to 10 JUL). POSTCARDS FROM THE 48% at Arthouse (06 to 11 JUL). RACER & THE JAILBIRD at Ciné Lumière (11 to 25 JUL). RYUICHI SAKAMOTO: CODA at ICA (06 to 12 JUL). STUDIO 54 at Rich Mix (06 to 12 JUL). SWIMMING WITH MEN at Phoenix Cinema (06 to 12 JUL). TIME TRIAL at DocHouse (06 to 12 JUL).
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
Get our SCREEN GUIDES delivered directly to your inbox – plus other great rewards – with a low-cost RADIANT CIRCUS monthly membership, available exclusively at Patreon.
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We check box office each morning for films in London today and try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.