SCREEN GUIDE DAILY: Films in London today 11.08.19
RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Find films in London today by: SINGLE-O EXHIBITS (one-off attractions) // MUSEUM SHOWS (several exhibits under one roof – seasons & festivals) // GRIND SHOWS (a selection of regular runs).
DORA AND THE LOST CITY OF GOLD d. James Bobin, 2019 at Peckhamplex (11 AUG 11:00):
- In aid of MediCinema: “DORA AND THE LOST CITY OF GOLD is a US adventure film in which an intrepid teenager and her classmates set off on a mission to rescue her parents. For this charity screening, all proceeds go to MediCinema, the charity which shows films for free in hospital with the support of the film industry.” (medicinema.org.uk)
NEW AT RADIANT CIRCUS
We want to make sure you never miss a frame… Plan ahead with our epic monthly roundup of London’s repertory seasons & film festivals for AUGUST.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
More films in London today (A – Z):
- AMAZING GRACE d. Alan Elliott & Sydney Pollack, 2018 at DocHouse (11 AUG 16:30).
- CAPERNAUM d. Nadine Labaki, 2018 at Whirled Cinema (11 AUG 18:00).
- Double Bill: MCCABE AND MRS MILLER + DON’T LOOK NOW 4K d. Robert Altman, 1971 + Nicolas Roeg, 1973 at Regent Street Cinema (11 AUG 14:30 + 17:00).
- DR. STRANGELOVE d. Stanley Kubrick, 1964 at Regent Street Cinema (11 AUG 20:00).
- GOODFELLAS d. Martin Scorcese, 1990 presente doy Empire Magazine at Picturehouse Central (11 AUG 15:00 – Other Picturehouses available!).
- HOLIDAY d. Isabella Eklöf, 2018 at Barbican (11 AUG 20:10).
- THE LAST WALTZ d. Martin Scorsese, 1978 at ArtHouse Crouch End (11 AUG 15:30).
- MAUVAIS SANG 35mm presented by MUBI at Rio Cinema (11 AUG 15:30 – “Every ticket holder will get a whole free month of curated online cinema, MUBI”).
- PAIN & GLORY d. Pedro Almodóvar, 2019 previews at Picturehouse Central (11 AUG 15:30 – Other Picturehouses available!).
- Tufnell Park Film Club Summer Film Quiz at The Lord Palmerston (11 AUG 19:30).
- VARDA BY AGNÈS d. Agnès Varda, 2019 at DocHouse (11 AUG 13:50).
> SIGN UP for free Friday emails highlighting 7 days of sensational screens.
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
BACKYARD CINEMA: L.A. NIGHTS at Roundhouse (19 JUL to 24 AUG):
- THE GREATEST SHOWMAN SING-A-LONG (11 AUG 12:30).
- CLUELESS (11 AUG 16:30).
- A STAR IS BORN (11 AUG 20:30).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: TURMOIL! at BFI Southbank (AUG):
- CAMILLE d. George Cukor, 1936 (11 AUG 17:20).
CARY GRANT: BRITAIN’S GREATEST EXPORT at BFI Southbank (AUG to SEP):
- SYLVIA SCARLETT 35mm d. George Cukor, 1935 (11 AUG 15:30).
- THE AWFUL TRUTH d. Leo McCarey, 1937 (11 AUG 20:00).
FILM4 SUMMER SCREEN at Somerset House (08 to 21 AUG):
- THE PRINCESS BRIDE d. Rob Reiner, 1987 (11 AUG 19:00).
FOCUS ON AGNÈS VARDA at BFI Southbank (JUL):
- VARDA BY AGNÈS d. Agnès Varda, 2019 (11 AUG 17:15).
NINETIES: YOUNG CINEMA REBELS at BFI Southbank (JUL to AUG):
- BROTHER d. Aleksey Balabanov, 1997 (11 AUG 19:40).
NO DIRECT FLIGHT at BFI Southbank (AUG):
- KATI KATI d. Mbithi Masya, 2016 + Q&A with the director (11 AUG 15:20).
- Future Spirits: Shorts Programme + Q&A with directors & musicians Sutra & Crack Stevens (11 AUG 17:45).
ONCE UPON A TIME WITH TARANTINO at The Prince Charles (until 14 AUG):
- ENTER THE DRAGON 35mm d. Robert Clouse, 1973 (11 AUG 15:35).
- KILL BILL: VOLUME 1 & 2 – DOUBLE BILL d. Quentin Tarantino, 2003 & 2004 (11 AUG 18:00). Inc: KILL BILL: VOLUME 1 d. Quentin Tarantino, 2003 (11 AUG 18:01). KILL BILL: VOLUME 2 d. d. Quentin Tarantino, 2003 (11 AUG 20:30).
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB various roofs (until 31 JUL):
- LA LA LAND (11 AUG 20:15 – Stratford).
- MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO (11 AUG 20:15 – Peckham).
TRILOGIES & TRIPTYCHS at Close-Up Centre (01 AUG to 01 SEP):
- INLAND EMPIRE d. David Lynch, 2006 (11 AUG 19:00).
WE’RE GONNA PARTY LIKE IT’S 1999! at The Prince Charles (02 MAY to 26 NOV):
- THE MATRIX d. Lana Wachowski & Lilly Wachowski, 1999 enjoys a grind show run (11 AUG 20:45).
> SUBSCRIBE to get our full listings emailed & support #LDNindieFILM.
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
We don’t think that there are any film festivals in London today but we’ve been wrong before… please let us know! Find out what’s coming in our Festivals A to Z.
GAZA d. Garry Keane & Andrew McConnell, 2018 at DocHouse (11 AUG 18:30):
- “17-year-old Karma Khaial stands by the Mediterranean Sea that represents freedom to her. But in Gaza, the sea is yet another wall restricting the lives and dreams of its inhabitants. This elegantly shot and masterfully crafted portrait of Palestinian life offers a rare chance to be immersed in the heart of Gaza.”
NOTORIOUS 4K d. Alfred Hitchcock, 1946 at ArtHouse Crouch End (11 AUG 13:10 & 18:10):
- “Two of the most iconic and powerful stars of their day pair up in Hitchcock’s post-war spy thriller, film noir – with just a dash of screwball dialogue and some serious romance – and the results are electric.”
STONES HAVE LAWS d. Lonnie van Brummelen, Siebren de Haan & Tolin Erwin Alexander, 2018 at ICA (11 AUG 18:30):
- “An immersive initiation into the life of a Maroon community in the former Dutch colony of Suriname. Combining stories of African ancestral traditions and escaped slavery with enacted contemporary rituals, the film explores how the community’s powerful ties to the land have become endangered as industries threaten to devastate the region through deforestation and mining.”
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- ANIMALS d. Sophie Hyde, 2019 at Phoenix Cinema (09 to 12 AUG). APOLLO 11 d. Todd Douglas Miller, 2019 at DocHouse (until 14 AUG). ASK DR. RUTH d. Ryan White, 2019 at JW3 (until 15 AUG). BLINDED BY THE LIGHT d. Gurinder Chadha, 2019 at ArtHouse Crouch End (09 to 15 AUG). CALL ME BY YOUR NAME d. Luca Guadagnino, 2017 at The Prince Charles (until 15 AUG). THE CHAMBERMAID d. Lila Avilés, 2018 at ICA (until 15 AUG). THE DEAD DON’T DIE d. Jim Jarmusch, 2019 at The Castle Cinema (10 to 13 AUG). DIEGO MARADONA d. Asif Kapadia, 2019 at ICA (09 to 15 AUG). HAPPY AS LAZZARO d. Alice Rohrwacher, 2018 at Whirled Cinema (12 to 18 AUG). MARIANNE & LEONARD: WORDS OF LOVE d. Nick Broomfield, 2019 at ArtHouse Crouch End (until 15 AUG). THE MATRIX d. Lana Wachowski & Lilly Wachowski, 1999 at The Prince Charles (until 15 AUG). NEVER LOOK AWAY d. Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck, 2019 at ICA (until 15 AUG). OLDBOY 4K d. Chan-wook Park, 2003 at The Prince Charles (until 15 AUG). OPUS ZERO d. Daniel Graham, 2017 at ICA (09 to 14 AUG). TELL IT TO THE BEESd. Annabel Jankel, 2018 at Watermans (09 to 15 AUG). UNE FEMME DOUCE d. Robert Bresson, 1969 at ICA (until 15 AUG). YESTERDAY d. Danny Boyle, 2019 at The Prince Charles (09 to 15 AUG).
Subscribe & support
RADIANT CIRCUS – “Home of alternative screen culture in London” (Film London) – is supported entirely by readers’ monthly subscriptions. Subscribers get our listings emailed directly as well as other great rewards. With enough subscribers backing us, we will be able to: 1) establish RADIANT CIRCUS as a permanent resource; 2) fund a full site rebuild to make our listings more social and searchable; and, 3) stage free events for subscribers as our way of saying a huge thank you! Our target? One thousand passionate film fans sharing what they love so that many more can discover it. Subscribe at patreon.com/radiantcircus
“I love everything you’re doing with RADIANT CIRCUS, the output is brilliant. And just so great to see it grow. Kudos to you.” (A fan via email!).
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.