SCREEN GUIDE DAILY: Films in London today 11.09.18
RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Find films in London today by: SINGLE-O EXHIBITS (one-off attractions) // MUSEUM SHOWS (several exhibits under one roof – seasons & festivals) // GRIND SHOWS (a selection of regular runs).
Featured attraction: MISSING, BELIEVED MARRIED 35mm + INTRO by Jo Botting at BFI Southbank (11 SEP 18:30): “This long-lost British comedy offers the very best madcap mayhem.” – BFI.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
CINESISTERS’ SHORTS VOL. 2 – THE FUNNY BONE at Genesis Cinema (11 SEP 18:40):
- Genesis and #WomenInFilm2018 proudly present a second instalment of short films by the badass all-female filmmakers’ collective Cinesisters. This time the theme is ”The Funny Bone”.
IF…. 35mm + Q&A/BOOK SIGNING with David Wood at Curzon Soho (11 SEP 14:30):
- An apposite winner of the Palme d’Or at the 1969 Cannes Film Festival after the previous year’s competition was suspended due to student protest and civil action, Lindsay Anderson’s countercultural satire depicts insurrection in a fictional boy’s boarding school.
MISSING, BELIEVED MARRIED 35mm + INTRO by Jo Botting at BFI Southbank (11 SEP 18:30):
- This long-lost British comedy features a wealthy heiress rescued from the clutches of a scheming foreigner by a pair of bumbling market traders. But the plot plays second fiddle to the comedic performances of stalwarts Wally Patch (one of Britain’s most prolific character actors) and the much-loved Margaret Rutherford.
NAE PASARAN + Q&A with director Felipe Bustos Sierra, the cast & special guest at ICA (11 SEP 18:30):
- In 1974, a group of workers at the Rolls-Royce factory in East Kilbride, Scotland refused to repair Chilean Air Force jet engines in protest against General Augusto Pinochet’s dictatorship. The Hawker Hunter planes the workers refused to repair had been used during the brutal military coup in September 1973.
More films in London today (A – Z):
- 24 HOUR PARTY PEOPLE presented by Tufnell Park Film Club at The Lord Palmerston (11 SEP 20:00).
- BABY DRIVER at Rooftop Film Club, Peckham (11 SEP 19:30).
- BRAGUINO at ICA (11 SEP 14:30).
- GHOLAM at Barbican part of London nights (11 SEP 18:30).
- LOTS OF KIDS, A MONKEY AND A CASTLE at The David Lean Cinema (11 SEP 19:30).
- LUST FOR LIFE at BFI (11 SEP 20:40).
- NATIONAL NARRATIVE aka Roman National at ICA (11 SEP 15:50).
- THE RIDER at Stratford Picturehouse (11 SEP 18:30 – Other Picturehouses available!).
- THE RIDER previews at BFI (11 SEP 20:30).
- SUPERBAD at Rooftop Film Club, Stratford (11 SEP 20:00).
- THELMA & LOUISE at Rooftop Film Club, Shoreditch (11 SEP 21:00).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
ANIMATION 2018 at BFI Southbank (2018):
- Black British Animators + Q&A with Osbert Parker & other filmmakers (11 SEP 18:20).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- Catford Free Film Festival (09 to 16 SEP).
- Peckham & Nunhead Free Film Festival (31 AUG to 16 SEP).
- Scalarama (SEP).
IN PRAISE OF NOTHING at ICA (11 SEP 20:45):
- An offbeat, satirical and beautifully-shot film about Nothing, in which Nothing, tired of being misunderstood, runs away from home and begins to reveal his thoughts on pretty much everything, including life and death, love and politics. Narrated in verse by Iggy Pop.
THE MISEDUCATION OF CAMERON POST at The Castle Cinema (11 SEP 11:00 & 20:45):
- Cameron Post looks the part of a perfect high-school girl. But after she’s caught with another girl in the back seat of a car on prom night, Cameron is quickly shipped off to a conversion therapy centre that treats teens “struggling with same-sex attraction”.
UNDER THE WIRE at DocHouse (11 SEP 14:30 & 18:30):
- On 13 February 2012 war-correspondent Marie Colvin and photographer Paul Conroy entered war-ravaged Syria to cover the plight of civilians trapped in the besieged Homs, under attack by the Syrian army. Only one of them returned.
More films in London this week (A – Z): AMERICAN ANIMALS at Rich Mix (07 to 13 SEP). BLACKkKLANSMAN at ArtHouse Crouch End (until 13 SEP). C’EST LA VIE! at Cine Lumiere (until 23 SEP). THE CLEANERS at DocHouse (07 to 12 SEP). COLD WAR at Ciné Lumière (until 16 SEP). CROWHURST at Whirled Cinema (10 to 16 SEP). HEATHERS at Prince Charles (07 to 13 SEP). HURRICANE at Genesis Cinema (07 to 13 SEP). MILFORD GRAVES FULL MANTIS at ICA (07 to 12 SEP). THE SEAGULL at Phoenix Cinema (07 to 13 SEP). YARDIE at The Institute Of Light (07 to 13 SEP).
MORE: weekly digests // monthly roundups // event calendar // festivals A to Z.
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
SIGN UP to our free eNEWS for regular updates about London’s indie cinema scene.
SUBSCRIBE to get our unique SCREEN GUIDE listings delivered directly to your inbox – plus other great rewards! – with a low-cost RADIANT CIRCUS monthly membership.
FOLLOW US on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram for daily updates.
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We check box office each morning for films in London today and try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.