RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Featured attraction: The People’s Film Club and Skin Deep present SORRY TO BOTHER YOU + PANEL at Genesis Cinema (11 DEC 18:30): “No fence-sitting here, SORRY TO BOTHER YOU wallops its targets. Drenched in self-awareness, it is fantastically refreshing, defiantly announcing Riley as a radical new voice.” – Alex Godfrey, Empire Magazine.
New at RADIANT CIRCUS: RaMell Ross’ documentary HALE COUNTY THIS MORNING, THIS EVENING (2018) previewed at ICA last week followed by a conversation between the filmmaker & ICA Assistant Curator, Ifeanyi Awachie (04 DEC 2018). Read our RADIANT CIRCUS writeup > HERE.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
ASHORE + Q&A with director Leonor Teles at ICA (11 DEC 18:45):
- Ashore portrays a year in the life of fisherman Albertino Lobo, whose days are divided between the quiet solitude of the Tagus, where he laboriously harvests shrimp and clams, and the family that anchors him.
CLEAN & SOBER 35mm + INTRO by Rebecca Nicole Williams at Regent Street Cinema (11 DEC 19:30):
- The Celluloid Sorceress presents: A powerful drama about drug addiction and rehabilitation, Glenn Gordon Caron’s film – starring Michael Keaton, Morgan Freeman, M. Emmet Walsh & Kathy Baker – contains some of its impressive cast’s finest work. There’s a selection of vintage 35mm trailers before the main feature.
SORRY TO BOTHER YOU + PANEL at Genesis Cinema (11 DEC 18:30):
- The People’s Film Club & Skin Deep magazine present a screening of Boot Riley’s uniquely anti-capitalist satire followed by a panel discussion. Part of the proceeds from this screening will go towards Skin Deep, however, if you’d like to show a bit more appreciation, you can buy a Solidarity Ticket at £8.50.
More films in London today (A – Z):
- BUTCH CASSIDY & THE SUNDANCE KID presented by Tufnell Park Film Club at The Lord Palmerston (11 DEC 20:00).
- FREE SOLO + Satellite Q&A at Lexi Cinema (11 DEC 18:15 – Sold Out!).
- GENERAL HENRI MATHIAS BERTHELOT. THE BATTLE FOR ROMANIA + Q&A with Prof Marius Turda, director Mihaela Natalia Poenaru & producer Petru Mihalea at Ciné Lumière (11 DEC 18:30).
- GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES + INTRO by Adrian Wootton at Barbican (11 DEC 20:30).
- THE HATE U GIVE at The David Lean Cinema (11 DEC 19:30).
- HEADHUNTERS presented by NOMAD at Citypoint (11 DEC 19:00).
- JAZZ & VISUALS – Guido Spannocchi & Holly Birtles at Deptford Cinema (11 DEC 19:30).
- THE PARENT TRAP (1998) at Everyman Barnet / Crystal Palace (11 DEC 19:45).
- THE PARTY presented by Richmond Film Society at The Exchange (11 DEC 20:00).
- POND LIFE at Picturehouse Central (11 DEC 13:10).
- THE PRICE OF EVERYTHING at DocHouse (11 DEC 13:50).
- THE WAGES OF FEAR aka Le Salaire de la peur at BFI (11 DEC 20:15).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
A CINEMA OF FORKING PATHS – FILMS INSPIRED BY BORGES! at The Horse Hospital & Curzon Bloomsbury (05 to 11 DEC):
- PERFORMANCE (11 DEC 19:00, The Horse Hospital).
CHRISTMAS AT THE PCC at The Prince Charles (30 NOV to 24 DEC):
- HOME ALONE (11 DEC 13:00).
- TRADING PLACES 35mm (11 DEC 13:45).
- IT’S A WONDERFUL LIFE (11 DEC 15:20 & 21:00);
- THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS (11 DEC 16:30);
- ELF Quote-A-Long (11 DEC 18:10).
- A CHRISTMAS STORY (11 DEC 18:35).
- THE MUPPET CHRISTMAS CAROL Sing-A-Long (11 DEC 20:45).
THE CHRISTMAS LABYRINTH at Backyard Cinema (until 22 DEC):
COMEDY GENIUS at BFI Southbank (OCT 2018 to JAN 2019):
- TRAVELLER’S JOY 35mm + INTRO by Jo Botting (11 DEC 18:10).
- TO BE OR NOT TO BE 35mm (11 DEC 18:20).
- Philosophical screens: The Ethics of Humour in TO BE OR NOT TO BE (11 DEC 20:10).
- KIND HEARTS & CORONETS (11 DEC 20:40).
#WOMENINFILM2018 at Genesis Cinema (2018):
- FREE SOLO + Satellite Q&A with Alex Honnold & directors Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi & Jimmy Chin (11 DEC 18:15 – Sold Out?).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- ArteKino Festival (01 to 31 DEC – various venues & online).
- Cinema Of Brazil: Female Perspectives (08 to 11 DEC).
METEORS at ICA (11 DEC 17:00):
- At night, in a Kurdish town in eastern Turkey, meteors start to fall. Stepping out of their homes to look, the city’s inhabitants encounter fragments of the past and remember those who have been lost.
SORRY TO BOTHER YOU at Rio Cinema (11 DEC 15:30 & 20:45):
- In an alternate present-day version of Oakland, California, Cassius “Cash” Green lives with his girlfriend Detroit in his Uncle’s garage. A job as a telemarketer introduces him to the key to professional success – using his “white voice”. But success as a Power Caller also opens the door to a macabre universe…
THEATRE OF WAR at DocHouse (11 DEC 21:00):
- A mix of Argentinian and British veterans are brought together to re-enact their experiences during the Falklands War. Through a handful of staged sequences, they revisit the visions that haunt them and discuss the muddy politics.
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- CLIMAX at ICA (until 13 DEC). DISOBEDIENCE at JW3 (until 13 DEC). EVELYN at ICA (08 to 12 DEC). KINSHASA MAKAMBO at DocHouse (07 to 12 DEC). LUCKY at Whirled Cinema (11 to 16 DEC). MUG at Watermans (07 to 13 DEC). NAE PASARAN! at ICA (until 12 DEC). THE OLD MAN AND THE GUN at ArtHouse Crouch End (07 to 13 DEC). POSTCARDS FROM LONDON at ICA (until 12 DEC). THE PRICE OF EVERYTHINGat ICA (until 13 DEC). SHOPLIFTERS at Rio Cinema (07 to 13 DEC). THREE IDENTICAL STRANGERS at BFI (until 13 DEC). WHITE BOY RICK at Picturehouse Central (07 to 13 DEC – Other Picturehouses available). THE WILD PEAR TREE at ICA (until 13 DEC).
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
SIGN UP to our free eNEWS for regular updates about London’s indie cinema scene.
SUPPORT our work at RADIANT CIRCUS and help promote indie cinema in London. As a Patron, you will get our unique SCREEN GUIDES delivered directly to your inbox, exclusive discounts for screen events and much more!
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.