RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
FILM STARS DON’T DIE IN LIVERPOOL d. Paul McGuigan, 2017 + Q&A with Peter Evans at Curzon Wimbledon (12 FEB 20:30):
- Wimbledon Film Club presents: Touching biopic of Oscar-winning Gloria Grahame (Annette Bening) and her relationship with Peter Turner (Jamie Bell), a struggling actor 28 years her junior. The couple meet as Grahame’s final days are played out in Liverpool. The post-screening Q&A with film historian Peter Evans will give insight into Grahame’s career.
NEW AT RADIANT CIRCUS
- SCREEN CULTURE: We chatted to Polish artist Aleksander Walijewski about his unique poster design for MIDNIGHT EXCESS: THE STUD/THE BITCH (16 FEB 23:00+ at Rio Cinema).
- NOW BOOKING: Deptford Cinema has announced a new INGMAR BERGMAN SEASON (17 FEB to 02 MAY).
- VALENTINE’S 2019: Find out what’s screening across London this month in our Valentine’s Day roundup of romantic film events.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
IF BEALE STREET COULD TALK d. Barry Jenkins , 2019 + PANEL at Genesis Cinema (12 FEB 18:00):
- Queen Mary University of London and Genesis invite you to a special screening of IF BEALE STREET COULD TALK by Oscar winning director Barry Jenkins, and adapted from James Baldwin’s novel with the same title.
More films in London today (A – Z):
- A STAR IS BORN d. Bradley Cooper, 2018 at Regent Street Cinema (12 FEB 18:15).
- BAFTA Awards 2019 Short Film Nominees at Curzon Aldgate (12 FEB 21:00).
- FREE SOLO d. Jimmy Chin & Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi, 2018 at DocHouse (12 FEB 20:30).
- Interview with Special Effects Supervisor George Gibbs & Production Designer Terry Ackland-Snow at The Others (12 FEB 19:30).
- MAHANAGAR aka The Big City d. Satyajit Ray, 1963 presented by Tufnell Park Film Club at Lord Palmerston (12 FEB 20:00).
- POLINA d. Valérie Müller & Angelin Preljocaj, 2016 at The David Lean (12 FEB 19:30).
- WILDLIFE d. Paul Dano, 2018 at Regent Street Cinema (12 FEB 20:45).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
AND THE NOMINEES ARE… OSCARS 2019 at The Prince Charles (until 04 MAY):
- SPIDER-MAN: INTO THE SPIDER-VERSE d. Rodney Rothman, Bob Persichetti & Peter Ramsey, 2018 (12 FEB 13:00).
- SHOPLIFTERS d. Hirokazu Koreeda, 2018 (12 FEB 15:35).
- BLACKkKLANSMAN d. Spike Lee, 2018 (12 FEB 18:10).
BEST OF 2018 at Ciné Lumière (03 to 26 JAN):
- DOGMAN d. Matteo Garrone, 2018 (12 FEB 18:10).
CLOSE-UP ON LUIS BUÑUEL at Close-Up (01 to 27 FEB):
- THE OBSCURE OBJECT OF DESIRE d. Luis Buñuel, 1977 (12 FEB 20:15).
LOVE? at Deptford Cinema (09 to 23 FEB):
- LA REINE MARGOT d. Patrice Chereau, 1994 (12 FEB 19:00).
LOVE IS IN THE AIR at The Prince Charles (08 to 17 FEB):
- HIS GIRL FRIDAY d. Howard Hawks, 1940 (12 FEB 18:25).
- BRIEF ENCOUNTER 35mm d. David Lean, 1945 (12 FEB 20:45).
STARRING BARBARA STANWYCK at BFI Southbank (FEB to MAR):
- THE FILE ON THELMA JORDAN 35mm d. Robert Siodmak, 1950 (12 FEB 20:40).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- Kennington Stories Film Festival (12 to 13 FEB).
- Stereo Spasms Festival: Celebrating Luc Ferrari at 90 (07 to 14 FEB).
AMÉRICA d. Erick Stoll & Chase Whiteside, 2018 at DocHouse (12 FEB 14:30 & 18:40):
- An astonishingly tender observational film about three brothers caring for their 93-year-old grandmother, América. What initially seems to be a narrative about one of the brothers just passing the time by the beach suddenly shifts when their dad is charged with neglecting América.
IF BEALE STREET COULD TALK d. Barry Jenkins, 2019 at Rich Mix (12 FEB 18:00 & 20:45):
- Set in early 1970s Harlem, IF BEALE STREET COULD TALK tells the story of Tish and Fonny. The couple’s sweet romance is horribly derailed when Fonny is falsely accused of rape and imprisoned. Tish and their families race to clear his name before their baby is born.
YELLOW IS FORBIDDEN d. Pietra Brettkelly, 2018 at DocHouse (12 FEB 16:30):
- Givenchy, Lagerfeld, Chanel, Dior Gaultier… It is perhaps the most exclusive club in the world. 21. Mostly men. European. Now there may be another name added to that list. From a country with the world’s largest population, Guo Pei is China’s only haute couture designer, with one of her pieces taking 50,000 painstaking hours to complete.
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- ALL IS TRUE d. Kenneth Branagh, 2018 at ArtHouse Crouch End (08 to 14 FEB). BOY ERASED d. Joel Edgerton, 2018 at Picturehouse Central (08 to 14 FEB – Other Picturehouses available!). BURNING d. Lee Chang-dong, 2018 at Watermans (08 to 14 FEB). CAN YOU EVER FORGIVE ME? d. Marielle Heller, 2018 at JW3 (until 14 FEB). COLETTE d. Wash Westmoreland, 2018 at The Prince Charles (08 to 14 FEB). THE FAVOURITE d. Yorgos Lanthimos, 2018 at Ciné Lumière (08 to 13 FEB). FREE SOLO d. Jimmy Chin & Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi, 2018 at ICA (until 13 FEB). GREEN BOOK d. Peter Farrelly, 2018 at The Castle Cinema (until 14 FEB). HALE COUNTY THIS MORNING, THIS EVENING d. RaMell Ross, 2018 at BFI (08 to 11 FEB). LEAVE NO TRACE d. Debra Granik, 2018 at Whirled Cinema (11 to 17 FEB). MARY QUEEN OF SCOTS d. Josie Rourke, 2018 at Regent Street Cinema (until 13 FEB). ONE CUT OF THE DEAD d. Shinichiro Ueda, 2018 at The Prince Charles (until 13 FEB). SHOPLIFTERS d. Hirokazu Kore-eda, 2018 at ICA (until 14 FEB). VICE d. Adam McKay, 2018 at The Lexi (until 14 FEB).
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
SIGN UP to our free eNEWS for regular updates about London’s indie cinema scene.
SUPPORT our work at RADIANT CIRCUS and help promote indie cinema in London. As a Patron, you will get our unique SCREEN GUIDES delivered directly to your inbox, exclusive discounts for screen events and much more!
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.