SCREEN GUIDE DAILY: Films in London today 12.08.19
RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Find films in London today by: SINGLE-O EXHIBITS (one-off attractions) // MUSEUM SHOWS (several exhibits under one roof – seasons & festivals) // GRIND SHOWS (a selection of regular runs).
SALÒ: The Sickest Movie Ever Made (Lecture by Dr Lindsay Hallam + Screening) at Moth Club (12 AUG 19:00):
- Deeper Into Movies presents: “Upon its release in 1975, Pier Paolo Pasolini’s film SALÒ was met with outrage and controversy, banned in many countries around the world. Pasolini had been the subject of scandal throughout his career as an author, poet, playwright, journalist, actor and filmmaker, often confronting societal and sexual taboos head on in his work, and openly criticizing Christianity and capitalism. The hysteria around SALÒ’s release was heightened further by Pasolini’s untimely, violent death, which occurred just three weeks before the film’s premiere in Paris.”
NEW AT RADIANT CIRCUS
We want to make sure you never miss a frame… Plan ahead with our epic monthly roundup of London’s repertory seasons & film festivals for AUGUST.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
More films in London today (A – Z):
- AMAZING GRACE d. Alan Elliott & Sydney Pollack, 2018 at Regent Street Cinema (12 AUG 20:30).
- APOLLO 11 d. Todd Douglas Miller, 2018 at Regent Street Cinema (12 AUG 18:30).
- Britpop Cinema: From Trainspotting to This Is England Talk by Matt Glasby at BFI Southbank (12 AUG 19:00).
- DUTCH ANGLE: CHAS GERRETSEN & APOCALYPSE NOWd. Baris Azman, 2019 at ArtHouse Crouch End (12 AUG 19:45).
- HARD PAINT d. Filipe Matzembacher, 2018 at Barbican (12 AUG 20:45).
- MARIANNE & LEONARD: WORDS OF LOVE d. Nick Broomfield, 2019 at BFI (12 AUG 20:35).
- MARIANNE & LEONARD: WORDS OF LOVE d. Nick Broomfield, 2019 at ArtHouse Crouch End (12 AUG 20:50).
- MIDSOMMAR d. Ari Aster, 2019 at The Castle Cinema (12 AUG 20:50).
- PAVAROTTI d. Ron Howard, 2019 at JW3 (12 AUG 20:30).
- VARDA BY AGNÈS d. Agnès Varda, 2019 at DocHouse (12 AUG 16:00).
> SIGN UP for free Friday emails highlighting 7 days of sensational screens.
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
BACKYARD CINEMA: L.A. NIGHTS at Roundhouse (19 JUL to 24 AUG):
- BAD BOYS (12 AUG 20:30).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: TURMOIL! at BFI Southbank (AUG):
- L’AGE D’OR 35mm d. Luis Buñuel, 1930 + Short: PORKY’S ROMANCE d. Frank Tashlin, 1937 (12 AUG 18:15).
CARY GRANT: BRITAIN’S GREATEST EXPORT at BFI Southbank (AUG to SEP):
- HOLIDAY d. George Cukor, 1938 (12 AUG 18:20).
- ONLY ANGELS HAVE WINGS d. Howard Hawks, 1939 (12 AUG 20:30).
- NOTORIOUS d. Alfred Hitchcock, 1946 enjoys a grind show run (09 AUG to 22 AUG).
THE CLASS OF ’94 at The Prince Charles (ongoing):
- SPEED 35mm d. Jan De Bont, 1994 (12 AUG 20:45).
FILM4 SUMMER SCREEN at Somerset House (08 to 21 AUG):
- THE MATRIX d. The Wachowskis, 1999 (12 AUG 19:00).
INGMAR BERGMAN SEASON at Deptford Cinema (ongoing):
- SUMMER INTERLUDE d. Ingmar Bergman, 1951 (12 AUG 19:30).
KUBRICK: Back By Popular Demand… at BFI IMAX & Southbank (JUL to AUG):
- A CLOCKWORK ORANGEd. Stanley Kubrick, 1971 (12 AUG 20:20).
ONCE UPON A TIME WITH TARANTINO at The Prince Charles (until 14 AUG):
- SPEED 35mm d. Jan De Bont, 1994 (12 AUG 20:45).
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB various roofs (until 31 JUL):
- MEAN GIRLS (12 AUG 20:15 – Peckham).
- CLUELESS (12 AUG 21:00 – Shoreditch).
TAKE ME TO THE BALL GAME at The Prince Charles (12 AUG to 18 SEP):
- FIELD OF DREAMS 35mm d. Phil Alden Robinson, 1989 (12 AUG 18:20).
TARANTINO ON SCREEN-O at Genesis Cinema (05 to 13 AUG):
- JACKIE BROWN d. Quentin Tarantino, 1997 (12 AUG 20:30).
TRILOGIES & TRIPTYCHS at Close-Up Centre (01 AUG to 01 SEP):
- Kenji Mizoguchi’s Great Triptych – UGETSU d. Kenji Mizoguchi, 1953 (12 AUG 20:15).
WE’RE GONNA PARTY LIKE IT’S 1999! at The Prince Charles (02 MAY to 26 NOV):
- THE MATRIX d. Lana Wachowski & Lilly Wachowski, 1999 enjoys a grind show run (12 AUG 12.30).
> SUBSCRIBE to get our full listings emailed & support #LDNindieFILM.
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
We don’t think that there are any film festivals in London today but we’ve been wrong before… please let us know! Find out what’s coming in our Festivals A to Z.
GAZA d. Garry Keane & Andrew McConnell, 2018 at DocHouse (12 AUG 14:00):
- “17-year-old Karma Khaial stands by the Mediterranean Sea that represents freedom to her. But in Gaza, the sea is yet another wall restricting the lives and dreams of its inhabitants. This elegantly shot and masterfully crafted portrait of Palestinian life offers a rare chance to be immersed in the heart of Gaza.”
NOTORIOUS 4K d. Alfred Hitchcock, 1946 at ArtHouse Crouch End (12 AUG 15:00 & 17:20):
- “Two of the most iconic and powerful stars of their day pair up in Hitchcock’s post-war spy thriller, film noir – with just a dash of screwball dialogue and some serious romance – and the results are electric.”
STONES HAVE LAWS d. Lonnie van Brummelen, Siebren de Haan & Tolin Erwin Alexander, 2018 at ICA (12 AUG – Not screening today, back tomorrow!).
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- ANIMALS d. Sophie Hyde, 2019 at Phoenix Cinema (09 to 12 AUG). APOLLO 11 d. Todd Douglas Miller, 2019 at DocHouse (until 14 AUG). ASK DR. RUTH d. Ryan White, 2019 at JW3 (until 15 AUG). BLINDED BY THE LIGHT d. Gurinder Chadha, 2019 at ArtHouse Crouch End (09 to 15 AUG). CALL ME BY YOUR NAME d. Luca Guadagnino, 2017 at The Prince Charles (until 15 AUG). THE CHAMBERMAID d. Lila Avilés, 2018 at ICA (until 15 AUG). THE DEAD DON’T DIE d. Jim Jarmusch, 2019 at The Castle Cinema (10 to 13 AUG). DIEGO MARADONA d. Asif Kapadia, 2019 at ICA (09 to 15 AUG). HAPPY AS LAZZARO d. Alice Rohrwacher, 2018 at Whirled Cinema (12 to 18 AUG). MARIANNE & LEONARD: WORDS OF LOVE d. Nick Broomfield, 2019 at ArtHouse Crouch End (until 15 AUG). THE MATRIX d. Lana Wachowski & Lilly Wachowski, 1999 at The Prince Charles (until 15 AUG). NEVER LOOK AWAY d. Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck, 2019 at ICA (until 15 AUG). OLDBOY 4K d. Chan-wook Park, 2003 at The Prince Charles (until 15 AUG). OPUS ZERO d. Daniel Graham, 2017 at ICA (09 to 14 AUG). TELL IT TO THE BEESd. Annabel Jankel, 2018 at Watermans (09 to 15 AUG). UNE FEMME DOUCE d. Robert Bresson, 1969 at ICA (until 15 AUG). YESTERDAY d. Danny Boyle, 2019 at The Prince Charles (09 to 15 AUG).
Subscribe & support
RADIANT CIRCUS – “Home of alternative screen culture in London” (Film London) – is supported entirely by readers’ monthly subscriptions. Subscribers get our listings emailed directly as well as other great rewards. With enough subscribers backing us, we will be able to: 1) establish RADIANT CIRCUS as a permanent resource; 2) fund a full site rebuild to make our listings more social and searchable; and, 3) stage free events for subscribers as our way of saying a huge thank you! Our target? One thousand passionate film fans sharing what they love so that many more can discover it. Subscribe at patreon.com/radiantcircus
“I love everything you’re doing with RADIANT CIRCUS, the output is brilliant. And just so great to see it grow. Kudos to you.” (A fan via email!).
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.