SCREEN GUIDE DAILY: Films in London today 13.01.19
RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Find films in London today by: SINGLE-O EXHIBITS (one-off attractions) // MUSEUM SHOWS (several exhibits under one roof – seasons & festivals) // GRIND SHOWS (a selection of regular runs).
HIGH-RISE + DISCUSSION at Deptford Cinema (13 JAN 14:30):
- Deptford Cinema’s Film and Book Club starts the year with a successful collaboration between writer Amy Jump and director Ben Wheatley with their stylish adaptation of JG Ballard’s dystopian tale of social disintegration.
New at RADIANT CIRCUS:
- The 16th London Short Film Festival (11 to 20 JAN 2019) projects this week and many screenings are selling fast. We took a look at the special events you could still buy tickets for at the time of posting… > Read our RADIANT CIRCUS top ten best of the fest.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
CHRISTIAN MARCLAY: THE CLOCK 24-HOUR SCREENING at Tate Modern (12 to 13 JAN – Last Chance!):
- Due to overwhelming demand, for one last time Tate Modern is keeping the free display of Christian Marclay’s THE CLOCK (2010) open outside of regular museum hours. You will be able to see the late night and early morning sections of the installation, which are not normally possible to view.
LOOKING FOR THE PERFECT BEAT + LIVE PERFORMANCE at Ritzy Picturehouse (13 JAN 13:00):
- Jazz re:freshed Film Club presents: an immersive ‘fly-on-the-wall’ look at the artists at the core of the LA beat scene, granting personal glimpses into their creative processes. Representing London’s own flourishing beat scene will be a special guest, showcasing beat-making techniques with a live performance and an audience discussion.
More films in London today (A – Z):
- BLACKkKLANSMAN presented by Deeper Into Movies at Moth Club (13 JAN 19:30).
- DOGTOOTH presented by Deeper Into Movies at Moth Club (13 JAN 15:00).
- DUCK SOUP at The Prince Charles (13 JAN 12:30).
- MARIE-JO ET SES DEUX AMOURS at Ciné Lumière (13 JAN 14:00).
- NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN 35mm at The Prince Charles (13 JAN 17:45).
- THE SPRAWL (PROPAGANDA ABOUT PROPAGANDA) at ICA (13 JAN 14:00).
- TWISTED PAIR at The Prince Charles (13 JAN 20:30).
- THE WELL: WATER VOICES FROM ETHIOPIA + LIVING ON ONE DOLLAR presented by London Socialist Film Co-Op at Bolivar Hall (13 JAN 11:00).
- THE WORKSHOP at Whirled Cinema (13 JAN 18:00).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
70mm PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles (ongoing):
- 2001 : A SPACE ODYSSEY 70mm (13 JAN 14:20).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: THINGS THAT GO BUMP IN THE NIGHT at BFI Southbank (03 to 31 JAN):
- THE OTHERS (13 JAN 19:50).
CLOSE-UP ON JASUJIRō OZU at Close-Up (until 13 JAN):
- TAIPEI STORY (13 JAN 18:00).
- TOKYO TWILIGHT (13 JAN 20:15).
THE GOLDEN AGE OF ALEXANDER KORDA: BRITAIN’S MOVIE MOGUL at BFI Southbank (JAN):
- THE FOUR FEATHERS 35mm (13 JAN 14:50).
- THE GHOST GOES WEST 35mm (13 JAN 17:50).
INGMAR BERGMAN FOCUS at BFI Southbank (JAN):
- THE SEVENTH SEAL aka Det Sjunde Inseglet (13 JAN 18:00).
LAUREL AND HARDY at BFI Southbank (JAN):
- WAY OUT WEST + LAUGHING GRAVY (13 JAN 13:00).
- BLOCK-HEADS 35mm + CHICKENS COME HOME 35mm (13 JAN 15:40).
MICHELANGELO ANTONIONI: CONFRONTING THE MODERN WORLD WITH STYLE at BFI Southbank (JAN to FEB):
- IL GRIDO aka The Cry (13 JAN 20:00).
WALT DISNEY SELECTROSPECTIVE at The Prince Charles (05 JAN to 23 MAR):
- THE INCREDIBLES + THE INCREDIBLES 2 (13 JAN 12:45).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- London Short Film Festival (11 to 20 JAN).
- Rainbow Umbrella Film Festival (10 to 13 JAN).
> Read our RADIANT CIRCUS guide to LSFF 2019.
THE HOUSE BY THE SEA aka La Villa at Ciné Lumière (13 JAN 18:40):
- By a little bay near Marseille lies a picturesque villa owned by an old man. His three children have gathered by his side for his last days. It’s time for them to weigh up what they have inherited of their father’s ideals and the community spirit he created in this magical place. The arrival, at a nearby cove, of a group of boat people will throw these moments of reflection into turmoil.
ISLAND OF THE HUNGRY GHOSTS at DocHouse (13 JAN 18:00):
- A man makes a break for it in the blueish green light of the rainforest; rangers come to the aid of millions of land crabs as they begin their annual migration to the shoreline from the depths of the lush vegetation. Christmas Island is a place of both astounding beauty, and fierce nature, where the locals make offerings to their ghosts.
VOICES OF THE SEA at DocHouse (13 JAN 16:00):
- Although fisherman Orlando struggles to make ends meet, he is content with his life in Cuba, with his young wife Mariela and their extended family and community. Mariela dreams of a better life; financial security and a more stable future, a hope that is driving many Cubans to risk their lives on dozens of attempts to escape by boat and arrive on American soil.
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- AMERICAN ANIMALS at Whirled Cinema (14 to 20 JAN). AN IMPOSSIBLE LOVE at Ciné Lumière (until 17 JAN). A STAR IS BORN at The Prince Charles (until 17 JAN). COLETTE at Genesis (11 to 17 JAN). THE FAVOURITE at The Castle (11 to 17 JAN). FREE SOLO at Rio Cinema (until 17 JAN). THE INTERPRETER presented by UKJF at JW3 (13 to 17 FEB). THE JUDGE at JW3 (until 17 JAN). RBG at JW3 (until 16 JAN). ONE CUT OF THE DEAD at The Prince Charles (until 17 JAN). THE PASSENGER at BFI Southbank (until 24 FEB). SHOPLIFTERS at Rio Cinema (until 17 JAN). SINK OR SWIM aka Le Grand Bain at Ciné Lumière (until 16 JAN). SORRY TO BOTHER YOU at The Prince Charles (until 17 JAN). STAN & OLLIE at ArtHouse (11 to 17 JAN). THREE IDENTICAL STRANGERS at DocHouse (until 16 JAN). WIDOWS at The Prince Charles (until 17 JAN).
MORE: weekly digests // monthly roundups // event calendar // festivals A to Z.
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
SIGN UP to our free eNEWS for regular updates about London’s indie cinema scene.
SUPPORT our work at RADIANT CIRCUS and help promote indie cinema in London. As a Patron, you will get our unique SCREEN GUIDES delivered directly to your inbox, exclusive discounts for screen events and much more!
FOLLOW US on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram for daily updates.
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.