RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
PRINCESS MONONOKE at The Ritzy (13 AUG 15:50):
- When Prince Ashitaka slays a raging boar god, he is wounded and becomes infected with the sickness that had sent the beast berserk, a malady stemming from humankind’s disharmony with nature. Set at the time of Japan’s transition from the Middle Ages to the modern era, PRINCESS MONONOKE is a morally complex tale that blends a fantasy quest with social comment for our times.
SEBASTIANE at BFI (13 AUG 20:40):
- Derek Jarman’s first feature was a characteristically idiosyncratic and iconoclastic affair, imagining the martyred Sebastian as a Roman soldier so devoted to his mystical beliefs that he sets himself apart from his lustful colleagues, and so becomes the object of dangerous emotions.
More films in London today (A – Z):
- A SICILIAN GHOST STORY at Genesis Cinema (13 AUG 21:00).
- CLIFFHANGER at Prince Charles (13 AUG 20:45).
- GENERATION WEALTH at Regent Street Cinema (13 AUG 18:30 & 20:40).
- HOTEL ARTEMIS at Prince Charles (13 AUG 13:15).
- THE LION KING at Rooftop Film Club, Shoreditch (13 AUG 21:00).
- SPIRITED AWAY at Hackney Picturehouse (13 AUG 10:30).
- VERTIGO at JW3 (13 AUG 14:30 & 20:25).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
FIERCE: THE UNTAMEABLE JOAN CRAWFORD at BFI Southbank (AUG to OCT):
REBEL WITH A CAUSE at Bertha DocHouse (until 16 AUG):
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
We don’t think there are any film festivals projecting in London today. But that means we’ve probably missed something…
HEATHERS: 30TH ANNIVERSARY at The Prince Charles (13 AUG 18:25):
- In order to get out of the snobby clique that is destroying her good-girl reputation, intelligent teen Veronica (Winona Ryder) teams up with a dark sociopath, J.D. (Christian Slater) in a plot to kill the cool kids in what is one of the decade’s defining cult classics of 1980s cinema.
LEANING INTO THE WIND – ANDY GOLDSWORTHY at ArtHouse Crouch End (13 AUG 14:45 & 20:25):
- Sixteen years after their first collaboration on the groundbreaking RIVERS AND TIDES, filmmaker Thomas Riedelsheimer returns with an absorbing documentary portrait of the influential British sculptor and environmentalist.
More films in London this week (A – Z): THE APPARITION at Lexi Cinema (11 to 16 AUG). A SICILIAN GHOST STORY at The Castle Cinema (11 to 16 AUG). DRAGONFLY EYES at ICA (until 14 AUG). THE HEIRESS at The Institute Of Light (10 to 16 AUG). ISLE OF DOGS at Whirled Cinema (13 to 19 AUG). MAURICE at BFI (11 to 16 AUG). MCQUEEN at Rio Cinema (10 to 16 AUG). OF FATHERS AND SONS at ICA (10 to 16 AUG). POPE FRANCIS – A MAN OF HIS WORD at Phoenix Cinema (10 to 16 AUG). THROUGH LOTTE’S LENS at JW3 (12 to 16 AUG). UNDER THE TREE at Barbican (10 to 16 AUG).
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
SIGN UP to our free eNEWS for regular updates about London’s indie cinema scene.
SUBSCRIBE to get our unique SCREEN GUIDE listings delivered directly to your inbox – plus other great rewards! – with a low-cost RADIANT CIRCUS monthly membership.
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We check box office each morning for films in London today and try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.