RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
APOCALYPSE NOW: THE FINAL CUT d. Francis Ford Coppola, 1979 + Recorded Q&A with the director at ArtHouse Crouch End (13 AUG 19:30):
- “Forty years after its original release, audiences will get the chance to experience APOCALYPSE NOW: THE FINAL CUT, a never-before-seen and newly restored cut of Coppola’s spectacular cinematic masterpiece in a way which the director believes “looks better than it has ever looked and sounds better than it has ever sounded. Restored from the original negative, this is Coppola’s most realized version of his multi-awarded classic – a haunting journey into madness that has fascinated generations of movie lovers.”
- Also screening at, amongst others: Peckhamplex (13 AUG 20:00); Phoenix Cinema (13 AUG 19:30); and, Rio Cinema (13 AUG 19:45).
- See also DUTCH ANGLE: CHAS GERRETSEN & APOCALYPSE NOW d. Baris Azman, 2019 at ArtHouse Crouch End (13 AUG 18:45).
NEW AT RADIANT CIRCUS
We want to make sure you never miss a frame… Plan ahead with our epic monthly roundup of London’s repertory seasons & film festivals for AUGUST.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
More films in London today (A – Z):
- ADOPTION d. Márta Mészáros, 1975 at ICA (13 AUG 20:50).
- BALLOON d. Michael Bully Herbig, 2019 at Regent Street Cinema (13 Aug 19:30).
- DUTCH ANGLE: CHAS GERRETSEN & APOCALYPSE NOW d. Baris Azman, 2019 at ArtHouse Crouch End (13 AUG 18:45).
- HOLIDAY d. Isabella Eklöf, 2018 at Barbican (13 AUG 18:30).
- GUMMO d. Harmony Korine, 1997 presented by Deeper Into Movies at Peckham Levels (13 AUG 19:30 – FREE!).
- REPO MAN 35mm d. Alex Cox, 1984 at The Prince Charles (13 AUG 18:05).
- TRANSIT d. Christian Petzold, 2018 previews at BFI Southbank (13 AUG 18:20).
> SIGN UP for free Friday emails highlighting 7 days of sensational screens.
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
ALMODÓVAR: KING OF SPAIN at Genesis Cinema (02 to 22 AUG):
- MUBI presents VOLVER d. Pedro Almodóvar, 2006 (13 AUG 18:15 – “Every ticket holder will get a whole free moth of curated online cinema, MUBI”).
BACKYARD CINEMA: L.A. NIGHTS at Roundhouse (19 JUL to 24 AUG):
- 10 THINGS I HATE ABOUT YOU (13 AUG 20:30).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: TURMOIL! at BFI Southbank (AUG):
- WHITE DOG d. Samuel Fuller, 1982 (13 AUG 20:30).
CARY GRANT: BRITAIN’S GREATEST EXPORT at BFI Southbank (AUG to SEP):
- THE PHILADELPHIA STORY d. George Cukor, 1940 (13 AUG 20:45).
- NOTORIOUS d. Alfred Hitchcock, 1946 enjoys a grind show run (13 AUG 14:30, 18:10 & 20:40).
FILM4 SUMMER SCREEN at Somerset House (08 to 21 AUG):
- GOD’S OWN COUNTRY d. Francis Lee, 2017 (13 AUG 19:00).
FOCUS ON AGNÈS VARDA at BFI Southbank (JUL):
- VARDA BY AGNÈS d. Agnès Varda, 2019 (13 AUG 20:45).
NINETIES: YOUNG CINEMA REBELS at BFI Southbank (JUL to AUG):
- TV Gamechanger: THE WORD + Q&A with Terry Christian & Katie Puckrik (13 AUG 18:15).
ONCE UPON A TIME WITH TARANTINO at The Prince Charles (until 14 AUG):
- THE HATEFUL EIGHT [MULTIPLEX VERSION] d. Quentin Tarantino, 2015 (13 AUG 20:20).
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB various roofs (until 31 JUL):
- CASABLANCA (13 AUG 20:15 – Stratford).
- THE GREATEST SHOWMAN (13 AUG 20:15 – Peckham).
- FIGHTING WITH MY FAMILY (13 AUG 21:00 – Shoreditch).
SAY WHAT HAPPENED: NICK FRASER SELECTS at DocHouse (13 AUG to 20 SEP):
- THE ARBOR d. Clio Barnard, 2010 + Q&A with the director (13 AUG 18:30).
TARANTINO ON SCREEN-O at Genesis Cinema (05 to 13 AUG):
- INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS d. Quentin Tarantino, 2009 (13 AUG 20:30).
TRILOGIES & TRIPTYCHS at Close-Up Centre (01 AUG to 01 SEP):
- Miguel Gomes’ Arabian Nights – ARABIAN NIGHTS: THE DESOLATE ONE d. Miguel Gomes, 2015 (13 AUG 20:15).
WE’RE GONNA PARTY LIKE IT’S 1999! at The Prince Charles (02 MAY to 26 NOV):
- THE MATRIX d. Lana Wachowski & Lilly Wachowski, 1999 enjoys a grind show run (13 AUG 15:05).
> SUBSCRIBE to get our full listings emailed & support #LDNindieFILM.
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
We don’t think that there are any film festivals in London today but we’ve been wrong before… please let us know! Find out what’s coming in our Festivals A to Z.
GAZA d. Garry Keane & Andrew McConnell, 2018 at DocHouse (13 AUG 16:20):
- “17-year-old Karma Khaial stands by the Mediterranean Sea that represents freedom to her. But in Gaza, the sea is yet another wall restricting the lives and dreams of its inhabitants. This elegantly shot and masterfully crafted portrait of Palestinian life offers a rare chance to be immersed in the heart of Gaza.”
NOTORIOUS 4K d. Alfred Hitchcock, 1946 at ArtHouse Crouch End (13 AUG 12:45 & 15:30):
- “Two of the most iconic and powerful stars of their day pair up in Hitchcock’s post-war spy thriller, film noir – with just a dash of screwball dialogue and some serious romance – and the results are electric.”
STONES HAVE LAWS d. Lonnie van Brummelen, Siebren de Haan & Tolin Erwin Alexander, 2018 at ICA (13 AUG 18:30):
- “An immersive initiation into the life of a Maroon community in the former Dutch colony of Suriname. Combining stories of African ancestral traditions and escaped slavery with enacted contemporary rituals, the film explores how the community’s powerful ties to the land have become endangered as industries threaten to devastate the region through deforestation and mining.”
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- ANIMALS d. Sophie Hyde, 2019 at Phoenix Cinema (09 to 12 AUG). APOLLO 11 d. Todd Douglas Miller, 2019 at DocHouse (until 14 AUG). ASK DR. RUTH d. Ryan White, 2019 at JW3 (until 15 AUG). BLINDED BY THE LIGHT d. Gurinder Chadha, 2019 at ArtHouse Crouch End (09 to 15 AUG). CALL ME BY YOUR NAME d. Luca Guadagnino, 2017 at The Prince Charles (until 15 AUG). THE CHAMBERMAID d. Lila Avilés, 2018 at ICA (until 15 AUG). THE DEAD DON’T DIE d. Jim Jarmusch, 2019 at The Castle Cinema (10 to 13 AUG). DIEGO MARADONA d. Asif Kapadia, 2019 at ICA (09 to 15 AUG). HAPPY AS LAZZARO d. Alice Rohrwacher, 2018 at Whirled Cinema (12 to 18 AUG). MARIANNE & LEONARD: WORDS OF LOVE d. Nick Broomfield, 2019 at ArtHouse Crouch End (until 15 AUG). THE MATRIX d. Lana Wachowski & Lilly Wachowski, 1999 at The Prince Charles (until 15 AUG). NEVER LOOK AWAY d. Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck, 2019 at ICA (until 15 AUG). OLDBOY 4K d. Chan-wook Park, 2003 at The Prince Charles (until 15 AUG). OPUS ZERO d. Daniel Graham, 2017 at ICA (09 to 14 AUG). TELL IT TO THE BEESd. Annabel Jankel, 2018 at Watermans (09 to 15 AUG). UNE FEMME DOUCE d. Robert Bresson, 1969 at ICA (until 15 AUG). YESTERDAY d. Danny Boyle, 2019 at The Prince Charles (09 to 15 AUG).
Subscribe & support
RADIANT CIRCUS – “Home of alternative screen culture in London” (Film London) – is supported entirely by readers’ monthly subscriptions. Subscribers get our listings emailed directly as well as other great rewards. With enough subscribers backing us, we will be able to: 1) establish RADIANT CIRCUS as a permanent resource; 2) fund a full site rebuild to make our listings more social and searchable; and, 3) stage free events for subscribers as our way of saying a huge thank you! Our target? One thousand passionate film fans sharing what they love so that many more can discover it. Subscribe at patreon.com/radiantcircus
“I love everything you’re doing with RADIANT CIRCUS, the output is brilliant. And just so great to see it grow. Kudos to you.” (A fan via email!).
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.