SCREEN GUIDE DAILY: Films in London today 13.09.18
RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Find films in London today by: SINGLE-O EXHIBITS (one-off attractions) // MUSEUM SHOWS (several exhibits under one roof – seasons & festivals) // GRIND SHOWS (a selection of regular runs).
Featured attraction: RADIANT CIRCUS favourite SLEEPAWAY CAMP* may – or may not! – be discussed as part of Drag Me to Hell: Representations of Drag and Transvestism in Horror Film and Television with Instructor Sarah Crowther, which launches a terrifying new semester from The Miskatonic Institute Of Horror Studies at The Horse Hospital (13 SEP 19:00).
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
Arrows, Gazes, Points of Intensity: The films of Ana Vaz at Whitechapel Gallery (13 SEP 19:00):
- On the occasion of Ana Vaz’s first UK solo show at LUX, this screening brings together a selection of her recent films. Interrogating the filmmaker’s gaze and relationship to the ‘other’, Ana Vaz’s films situate narrative from within and with the body.
Experiments in Synesthesia, Early Cinema and Artist Film at BFI Southbank (13 SEP 20:30):
- Bold, beautiful and sometimes bizarre experiments with ‘drawn’ soundtracks on film. Part of BFI’s Experimenta Strand (Artists’ film and video).
FACES PLACES + Q&A with Agnès Varda + JR at Curzon Mayfair (13 SEP 18:30 – Sold Out!):
- Marking her long-awaited return to filmmaking, FACES PLACES sees iconic, 90-year-old auteur Agnès Varda forging an unlikely partnership with enigmatic photographer JR as they embark on a road trip unlike any other.
The Miskatonic Institute of Horror Studies – Drag Me to Hell with instructor Sarah Crowther at The Horse Hospital (13 SEP 19:00):
- Or, to give it its full title… Drag Me to Hell: Representations of Drag and Transvestism in Horror Film and Television. From Ed Wood’s GLEN OR GLENDA (1953) to the Boulet Brothers’ DRAGULA (2017-), drag and transvestism have appeared as a recurring theme in genre cinema and television.
PADRE + Q&A with Willem Dafoe & director Giada Colagrande at Regent Street Cinema (13 SEP 19:30 – Sold Out!):
- Hoffman, Barney & Foscari presents: Giulia has just lost her father, the great music composer Giulio Fontana. Through music he contacts her from the other dimension and leads her to an initiation into the invisible world.
Reclaim The Frame: THE RIDER + PANEL Q&A at Picturehouse Central (13 SEP 19:00):
- Birds’ Eye View presents: Once a rising star of the rodeo circuit, Brady is warned that his competition days are over after a tragic riding accident. Back home, he finds himself wondering what he has to live for when he can no longer do what gives him a sense of purpose: to ride and compete.
UNDER THE WIRE + Q&A with Paul Conroy and Chris Martin at Genesis Cinema (13 SEP 18:30):
- Presented by Dogwoof: On 13 February 2012 war-correspondent Marie Colvin and photographer Paul Conroy entered war-ravaged Syria to cover the plight of civilians trapped in the besieged Homs, under attack by the Syrian army. Only one of them returned.
More films in London today (A – Z):
- ALL THE MONEY IN THE WORLD presented by Filmbox Community Cinema at the Langley Park Centre (13 SEP 19:30).
- BARTON FINK at BFI (13 SEP 20:50).
- BRAGUINO at ICA (13 SEP 17:00).
- DAMASCUS COVER at JW3 (13 SEP 14:30, 18:30 & 20:3).
- DISTANT VOICES, STILL LIVES at Genesis Cinema (13 SEP 21:00).
- FACES PLACES at Stratford Picturehouse (13 SEP 20:30 – Other Picturehouses available!).
- THE KING at DocHouse (13 SEP 18:30).
- LES DEMOISELLES DE ROCHEFORT 35mm at BFI (13 SEP 18:00).
- MCQUEEN at ICA (13 SEP 14:45).
- MY LEFT FOOT at BFI (13 SEP 18:20).
- NATIONAL NARRATIVE aka Roman National at ICA (13 SEP 18:00).
- PAN’S LABYRINTH at Hyde Park Lido (13 SEP 18:30).
- PARASOL PEAK at Rooftop Film Club, Peckham (13 SEP 19:30).
- REVERSING ROE at ICA (13 SEP 12:30).
- SUMMER 1993 at The David Lean Cinema (13 SEP 19:30).
- TRUE ROMANCE at Rooftop Film Club, Stratford (13 SEP 20:00).
- THE WILD BOYS at Close-Up (13 SEP 20:15).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
AGNÈS VARDA: GLEANING TRUTHS various venues (AUG to SEP):
- ICA: THE GLEANERS AND I (13 SEP 20:45).
ALWAYS SOMEWHERE ELSE – THE CINEMA OF ANGELA SCHANELEC IN DIALOGUE at Goethe-Institut (13 to 25 SEP):
- Humphrey Jennings: SPARE TIME & Angela Schanelec: AFTERNOON + conversation between season curator Patrick Holzapfel and Angela Schanelec (13 SEP 19:00).
OLIVIER ASSAYAS at Deptford Cinema (07 to 14 SEP):
- WINTER’S CHILD (13 SEP 19:30).
THE TELEVISION WILL BE REVOLUTIONISED: Channel 4 and the 1982 Workshop Declaration at Barbican (13 to 16 SEP):
- ACCEPTABLE LEVELS + PANEL (13 SEP 19:00).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Films festivals in London today include:
- Catford Free Film Festival (09 to 16 SEP).
- Peckham & Nunhead Free Film Festival (31 AUG to 16 SEP).
- Safar Film Festival (13 to 18 SEP).
- Scalarama (SEP).
IN PRAISE OF NOTHING at ICA (13 SEP 19:15):
- An offbeat, satirical and beautifully-shot film about Nothing, in which Nothing, tired of being misunderstood, runs away from home and begins to reveal his thoughts on pretty much everything, including life and death, love and politics. Narrated in verse by Iggy Pop.
THE MISEDUCATION OF CAMERON POST at The Castle Cinema (13 SEP 15:00 & 19:10):
- Cameron Post looks the part of a perfect high-school girl. But after she’s caught with another girl in the back seat of a car on prom night, Cameron is quickly shipped off to a conversion therapy centre that treats teens “struggling with same-sex attraction”.
UNDER THE WIRE at DocHouse (13 SEP 16:30):
- On 13 February 2012 war-correspondent Marie Colvin and photographer Paul Conroy entered war-ravaged Syria to cover the plight of civilians trapped in the besieged Homs, under attack by the Syrian army. Only one of them returned.
More films in London this week (A – Z): AMERICAN ANIMALS at Rich Mix (07 to 13 SEP). BLACKkKLANSMAN at ArtHouse Crouch End (until 13 SEP). C’EST LA VIE! at Cine Lumiere (until 23 SEP). THE CLEANERS at DocHouse (07 to 12 SEP). COLD WAR at Ciné Lumière (until 16 SEP). CROWHURST at Whirled Cinema (10 to 16 SEP). HEATHERS at Prince Charles (07 to 13 SEP). HURRICANE at Genesis Cinema (07 to 13 SEP). MILFORD GRAVES FULL MANTIS at ICA (07 to 12 SEP). THE SEAGULL at Phoenix Cinema (07 to 13 SEP). YARDIE at The Institute Of Light (07 to 13 SEP).
MORE: weekly digests // monthly roundups // event calendar // festivals A to Z.
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
SIGN UP to our free eNEWS for regular updates about London’s indie cinema scene.
SUBSCRIBE to get our unique SCREEN GUIDE listings delivered directly to your inbox – plus other great rewards! – with a low-cost RADIANT CIRCUS monthly membership.
FOLLOW US on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram for daily updates.
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We check box office each morning for films in London today and try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.
*Featured image: SLEEPAWAY CAMP (1983)