RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
THE IRISHMAN d. Martin Scorcese, 2019 + Satellite Red Carpet Coverage & Q&A with Cast & Crew at Phoenix Cinema (13 OCT 19:00):
- LFF CLOSING NIGHT GALA: “Martin Scorsese’s ninth collaboration with Robert De Niro finds the master filmmaker returning to the genre he has helped define, with a mystery that has never been solved.”
- Check your local indie cinema for additional screenings!
NEW AT RADIANT CIRCUS
LUNCHTIME FILM SOCIETY is a brand new popup cinema screening daily programmes of bitesize films for busy City workers at the Bridewell Theatre in the City Of London (22 OCT to 01 NOV 2019).
> Book here: sbf.org.uk/whats-on
Online at radiantcircus.com: The 13th Native Spirit Film Festival (12 to 20 OCT) opens today. // BFI London Film Festival (02 to 13 OCT) is almost done – we caught Werner Herzog’s FAMILY ROMANCE, LLC. // Ranjit S. Ruprai aka SUPAKINO launches a new season of MIDNIGHT EXCESS at Rio Cinema. // Two venues are under threat – read appeals from Screen25 in South Norwood and The Horse Hospital & lend support where you can
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
THE BIRDS d. Alfred Hitchcock, 1963 + Discussion at Deptford Cinema (13 OCT 14:30):
- Deptford Cinema Film & Book Club presents: “A pre-Halloween special, pairing Hitchcock’s classic avian horror-thriller with its lesser-known source material, Daphne Du Maurier’s short story written in 1951.”
MILES DAVIS: BIRTH OF THE COOL d. Stanley Nelson, 2019 + Q&A with the director & musician/cousin of Miles Davis, Vince Wilburn Jnr at Rio Cinema (13 OCT 15:30):
- “Miles Davis: musician, bandleader, innovator. Elegant, intellectual, vain. Callous, conflicted, controversial. Magnificent, mercurial. Genius. The very embodiment of cool. The man with a sound so beautiful it could break your heart. Featuring never-before-seen archival footage, studio outtakes, and rare photos, this is the story of a truly singular talent that reveals the man behind the music and the mystique.”
More films in London today (A – Z):
- BY THE GRACE OF GOD d. François Ozon, 2018 + Prerecorded Interview with the director as part of European Arthouse Cinema Day at Curzon Bloomsbury (13 OCT 13:30).
- THE COMING WAR ON CHINA d. John Pilger, 2016 presented by London Socialist Film Co-op at Bolivar Hall (13 OCT 11:00).
- FEAR & LOATHING IN LAS VEGAS d. Terry Gilliam, 1998 presented by Deeper Into Movies at Moth Club (13 OCT 19:30).
- THE HANDMAIDEN d. Chan-wook Park, 2016 presented by Queer Cinema Club at The Yard Theatre (13 OCT 16:00).
- HITSVILLE: THE MAKING OF MOTOWN d. Gabe Turner & Benjamin Turner, 2019 + Pre-recorded Intro at DocHouse (13 OCT 13:45).
- HONEYLAND d. Tamara Kotevska & Ljubomir Stefanov, 2019 at DocHouse (13 OCT 14:20).
- THE LAST TREE d. Shola Amoo, 2019 at Peckhamplex (13 OCT 13:30).
- NORMAL d. Adele Tulli, 2019 at ICA (13 OCT 12:30).
- ONE CHILD NATION d. Nanfu Wang & Jialing Zhang, 2019 at DocHouse (13 OCT 11:50).
- PHOENIX d. Camilla Strøm Henriksen, 2018 at Whirled Cinema (13 OCT 18:00).
- THE THIRD MAN 4K d. Carol Reed, 1949 at Ciné Lumière (13 OCT 14:00).
- WALK THE LINE d. James Mangold, 2005 presented by Deeper Into Movies at Moth Club (13 OCT 15:00).
> SIGN UP for free Friday emails highlighting 7 days of sensational screens.
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
CLOSE-UP ON RAINER WERNER FASSBINDER at Close-Up (01 OCT to 01 DEC):
- MARTHA d. Rainer Werner Fassbinder, 1974 (13 OCT 18:00).
- ALI: FEAR EATS THE SOUL d. Rainer Werner Fassbinder, 1974 (13 OCT 20:00).
DANCE UMBRELLA: SUNDAY SHORTS at Barbican (13 to 27 OCT):
- Sunday Shorts 1 + Q&A with Oona Doherty (13 OCT 15:30).
HITCHCOCKTOBER at The Birds E11 (03 OCT to 01 NOV – FREE!/Paid reservations & packages available!):
- HITCHCOCK d. Sacha Gervasi, 2012 (13 OCT 18:00).
NEWMAN’S OWN: THE EARLY FILMS OF PAUL NEWMAN at Regent Street Cinema (01 SEP to 27 OCT):
- BUTCH CASSIDY AND THE SUNDANCE KID d. George Roy Hill, 1969 (13 OCT 19:00).
ONCE UPON A TIME WITH TARANTINO at The Prince Charles (ongoing):
- ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD 35mm d. Quentin Tarantino, 2019 (13 OCT 17:40).
THRILLERS & KILLERS & MONSTERS, OH MY! at The Prince Charles (27 SEP to 01 NOV):
- AUDITION 35mm d. Takashi Miike, 1999 (13 OCT 21:00).
WITCHES & VAMPIRES at House Of Vans (03 to 27 OCT – FREE!/No booking required):
- PRACTICAL MAGIC (13 OCT 14:00 & 16:00).
> SUBSCRIBE to get our full listings emailed & support #LDNindieFILM.
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- BFI London Film Festival (02 to 13 OCT).
- Black Cultural Archives Film Festival (04 to 14 OCT).
- Bloomsbury Festival (11 to 20 OCT).
- Native Spirit Festival (12 to 20 OCT – Read our RADIANT CIRCUS guide to the festival HERE).
- Roger Moore Film Festival (13 OCT).
BEANPOLE d. Kantemir Balagov, 2019 at ICA (13 OCT 16:00):
- “Russian filmmaker Kantemir Balagov’s hypnotic and rigorous third feature confirms his impressive capacity to deliver strong, accurate and delicate portraits of individuals in past and contemporary Russia.”
FARMING d. Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje, 2019 at Catford Mews (13 OCT 16:10 & 21:15):
- “Based on the writer/director’s childhood, FARMING tells story of a young Nigerian boy, ‘farmed out’ by his parents to a white British family in the hope of a better future. Instead, he becomes the feared leader of a white skinhead gang.”
YOUR TURN d. Eliza Capai, 2019 at DocHouse (13 OCT 20:50):
- “Following the student movement from the protests of 2013 until the election of the new president, Jair Bolsonaro, in 2018, YOUR TURN captures an urgent time in Brazilian politics. In the wake of the economic and social crisis, students protest and occupy hundreds of schools.”
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- BAIT d. Mark Jenkin, 2019 at The Castle Cinema (until 23 OCT). THE DAY SHALL COMEd. Christopher Morris, 2019 at ArtHouse Crouch End (11 to 17 OCT). DOLEMITE IS MY NAME d. Craig Brewer, 2019 at The Prince Charles (11 to 22 OCT). THE FAREWELL d. Lulu Wang, 2019 at Watermans (11 to 24 OCT). FOR SAMA d. Waad Al-Khateab & Edward Watts, 2019 at The Castle Cinema (until 17 OCT). GOOD POSTURE d. Dolly Wells, 2019 at ArtHouse Crouch End (until 17 OCT). HUSTLERS d. Lorene Scafaria, 2019 at Genesis Cinema (until 17 OCT). JOKER d. Todd Phillips, 2019 at The Lexi (until 17 OCT). JUDY d. Rupert Goold, 2019 at Phoenix Cinema (until 17 OCT). MILES DAVIS: BIRTH OF THE COOL d. Stanley Nelson, 2019 at DocHouse (13 to 17 OCT). ONLY YOU d. Harry Wootliff, 2018 at Whirled Cinema (14 to 20 OCT). PAIN & GLORY d. Pedro Almodóvar, 2019 at ICA (until 17 OCT). THE SOUVENIR d. Joanna Hogg, 2019 at ICA (until 17 OCT). TEHRAN: CITY OF LOVE d. Ali Jaberansari, 2018 at Ciné Lumière (11 to 17 OCT).
Subscribe & support
RADIANT CIRCUS – “Home of alternative screen culture in London” (Film London) – is supported entirely by readers’ monthly subscriptions. Subscribers get our listings emailed directly as well as other great rewards. With enough subscribers backing us, we will be able to: 1) establish RADIANT CIRCUS as a permanent resource; 2) fund a full site rebuild to make our listings more social and searchable; and, 3) stage free events for subscribers as our way of saying a huge thank you! Our target? One thousand passionate film fans sharing what they love so that many more can discover it. Subscribe at patreon.com/radiantcircus
“I love everything you’re doing with RADIANT CIRCUS, the output is brilliant. And just so great to see it grow. Kudos to you.” (A fan via email!).
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.