SCREEN GUIDE DAILY: Films in London today 13.11.18
RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Find films in London today by: SINGLE-O EXHIBITS (one-off attractions) // MUSEUM SHOWS (several exhibits under one roof – seasons & festivals) // GRIND SHOWS (a selection of regular runs).
Featured attraction: MAGIC MEDICINE + Q&A with director Monty Wates & exec producer Lizzie Gillett at The Castle Cinema (13 NOV 19:00): “Over 4 years, filmmaker Monty Wates was given exclusive access to the first ever medical trial to give psilocybin (the psychoactive ingredient in magic mushrooms) to a group of volunteers suffering from clinical depression.”
New at RADIANT CIRCUS: We are delighted to announce a new partnership with Close-Up Film Centre that gives all RADIANT CIRCUS paid subscribers exclusive discounts for selected seasons and screenings in their programme. We start with fabulous found footage season NEVER FOUND: ALTERNATE HISTORIES OF THE 20th CENTURY (14 NOV & 15 NOV). Read our interview with curator Francesco Maria Carreri before checking out our affordable monthly subscriptions and other great rewards at Patreon (starting at £2.99/month).
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
AN EVENING WITH THE SCALA CINEMA with Stephen Woolley & Jane Giles at The Cinema Museum (13 Nov 19:30):
- Come and relive the glory days of the much-missed Scala Cinema, doyen of the 1980s London rep cinema circuit. It was London’s legendary repertory cinema, which specialised in daily changing double-bills of psychotronic movies; horror; Kung Fu; LGBT+; animations and experimental films alongside the usual classics.
MAGIC MEDICINE + Q&A with director Monty Wates & exec producer Lizzie Gillett at The Castle Cinema (13 NOV 19:00):
- Over 4 years, filmmaker Monty Wates was given exclusive access to the first ever medical trial to give psilocybin (the psychoactive ingredient in magic mushrooms) to a group of volunteers suffering from clinical depression.
More films in London today (A – Z):
- ACE IN THE HOLE at BFI (13 NOV 20:50).
- AN EVENING WITH BEVERLY LUFF LINN + RECORDED Q&A with writer/director Jim Hosking & co-writer David Wike at Genesis Cinema (13 NOV 21:10).
- BEYOND THE MAT + LIVE WrestleRamble presented by WrestleTalk at The Prince Charles (13 NOV 20:30).
- THE FENCER presented by Richmond Film Club at The Exchange (13 NOV 20:00).
- FLIRTING WITH DISASTER presented by Tufnell Park Film Club at The Lord Palmerston (13 NOV 20:00).
- QUEEN OF THE DAMNED 35mm at The Prince Charles (13 NOV 18:35 – £1 PCC Members Screening).
- SUSPIRIA (2018) at Picturehouse Central (13 NOV 18:15 – Other Picturehouses available).
- TEHRAN TABOO at The David Lean (13 NOV 19:30).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
COMEDY GENIUS at BFI Southbank (OCT 2018 to JAN 2019):
- MEAN GIRLS (13 NOV 18:10).
- SOME LIKE IT HOT (13 NOV 14:30, 18:15 & 20:40).
RHYTHM & POETRY: THE FILMS OF MARGARET TAIT at BFI Southbank (OCT to NOV):
- LAND MAKAR + INTRO by Peter Todd (13 NOV 20:30).
Sight & Sound presents FANTASTIQUE: THE DREAM WORLDS OF FRENCH CINEMA at BFI Southbank (OCT to NOV):
- EYES WITHOUT A FACE aka Les Yeux Sans Visage (13 NOV 20:45).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- Brixton Reel Film Festival (08 to 15 NOV).
- Doc’n Roll Film Festival (01 to 18 NOV).
- French Film Festival (07 NOV to 09 DEC).
- Fringe! Queer Film & Arts Festival (13 to 18 NOV).
- GFEST (12 to 24 NOV).
- London Korean Film Festival (01 to 14 NOV).
- UK Jewish Film Festival (08 to 22 NOV).
- Utopia: 9th Portuguese Film Festival (30 OCT to 29 NOV).
- We The Peoples Film Festival (11 to 24 NOV).
MAKE ME UP at ICA (13 NOV 19:00):
- Multimedia artist Rachel Maclean’s ambitious film unfurls in a seductive and dangerous world where surveillance, violence and submission are a normalised part of daily life. In saccharine pastels, this darkly comic film exposes the heteropatriarchal ideologies embedded in prevailing narratives of gender and beauty.
THE OTHER SIDE OF EVERYTHING at DocHouse (13 NOV 18:30):
- In Belgrade, an apartment is divided in two by a door, which has been permanently locked for over 70 years. The apartment, which was divided on the order of Yugoslavia’s then communist government, is where director Mila Turajlic’s mother was born, and where Mila grew up herself.
WIDOWS at ArtHouse Crouch End (13 NOV 15:15, 18:00 & 20:45):
- The story of four women with nothing in common except a debt left behind by their dead husbands’ criminal activities. Set in contemporary Chicago, amid a time of turmoil, tensions build when Veronica (Oscar winner Viola Davis), Linda (Michelle Rodriguez), Alice (Elizabeth Debicki) and Belle (Cynthia Erivo) take their fate into their own hands.
More films in London this week (A – Z): ADRIFT IN SOHO at The Prince Charles (14 to 20 NOV). BISBEE ’17 at ICA (09 to 15 NOV). FACES PLACES at Whirled Cinema (12 to 18 NOV). JURASSIC PARK 35mm at The Prince Charles (09 to 15 NOV). MANDY at The Prince Charles (until 19 NOV). MIRAI + RECORDED INTRO by writer/director Mamoru Hosoda at Picturehouse Central (09 to 14 NOV). PETERLOO at The Lexi (09 to 15 NOV). PUTIN’S WITNESSES at DocHouse (08 to 13 NOV). TIME FOR ILHAN at DocHouse (09 to 15 NOV). SUSPIRIA (1977) at The Prince Charles (until 15 NOV). WILDLIFE at Genesis Cinema (09 to 15 NOV).
MORE: weekly digests // monthly roundups // event calendar // festivals A to Z.
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
SIGN UP to our free eNEWS for regular updates about London’s indie cinema scene.
SUPPORT our work at RADIANT CIRCUS and help promote indie cinema in London. As a Patron, you will get our unique SCREEN GUIDES delivered directly to your inbox, exclusive discounts for screen events and much more!
FOLLOW US on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram for daily updates.
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.