RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
DER FAN d. Eckhart Schmidt, 1982 at Barbican (14 FEB 20:45):
- Cigarette Burns Cinema presents: “Pop idols profess their undying love for us; serenade us from our screens; gaze seductively down at us from the posters on our walls. But the reality is all illusion; a glossy sham.”
NEW AT RADIANT CIRCUS
- ZODIAC FILM CLUB: Ahead of their next screening of THE STUD (1978) & THE BITCH (1979), Sarah & Jordan have written a guide to getting good sex education at the movies.
- NOW BOOKING: MULTIPLE MANIACS (1970) kickstarts a new John Waters ‘selectrospective’ at The Prince Charles Cinema (04 MAR to 26 JUN 2019). Read our guide to every goddam thing.
- VALENTINE’S 2019: Find out what’s screening across London this month in our Valentine’s Day roundup of romantic film events.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
BORDER d. Ali Abbasi, 2018 + Q&A with the director at BFI Southbank (14 FEB 18:00):
- Tina (Eva Melander) has an unusual ability: she can smell guilt and shame – a talent she puts to use working at the Swedish border control agency. One day she encounters a strange man (Eero Milonoff) who seems to have a similar ability, and could be the key to understanding her identity…
- BORDER also screens at Rio Cinema (14 FEB 18:30 – without Q&A but includes a goodie bag!).
- Read our RADIANT CIRCUS writeup HERE.
LOVE HOTEL d. Phil Cox, 2014 + VALENTINE’S QUIZ at Frontline Club (14 FEB 19:00):
- Pensioners, lawyers, married couples and teenagers are all regular clients at the unique Angelo Love Hotel in Osaka Japan. With unprecedented access throughout the hotel, this film reveals their desires, fantasies and secrets as they inhabit one of the most private and anonymous spaces in Japanese society.
TRUE ROMANCE d. Tony Scott, 1993 + FOOD/DRINK at Curzon Mayfair (14 FEB 18:20):
- Curzon and Edible Cinema team up for a special Valentine’s Day screening. Along with your ticket to the film, Edible Cinema offers an 8 item, bite sized menu of food & drink. In order for food & drink to be prepared for the event, tickets will be taken off sale at 17:00 on Wednesday 13 February.
More films in London today (A – Z):
- AN ELEPHANT SITTING STILL d. Hu Bo, 2018 at ICA (14 FEB 14:00).
- BAFTA Awards 2019 Short Film Nominees at Curzon Bloomsbury (14 FEB 18:20).
- BEAUTIFUL THING d. Hettie Macdonald, 1996 at BFI (14 FEB 18:30).
- BEFORE SUNRISE d. Richard Linklater, 1995 at Moving Pictures Cinema (14 FEB 20:30).
- BOUND 35mm d. The Wachowskis, 1996 at BFI (14 FEB 20:40).
- CLIMAX d. Gaspar Noé, 2018 at ICA (14 FEB 14:20).
- DIRTY DANCING d. Emile Ardolino, 1987 at Picturehouse Central (14 FEB 18:30 – Other Picturehouses available!).
- JOYLESS STREET d. Georg Wilhelm Pabst, 1925 + LIVE ACCOMPANIMENT by John Sweeney at Austrian Cultural Forum (14 FEB 19:00 – FREE!).
- THE LADY EVE d. Preston Sturges, 1941 at BFI (14 FEB 18:10).
- MIDNIGHT IN PARIS d. Woody Allen, 2011 + Q&A with art director Anne Seibel at Ciné Lumière (14 FEB 18:30).
- MOULIN ROUGE! d. Baz Luhrman, 2001 at Everyman Crystal Palace (14 FEB 18:45 for food/19:30 for film).
- ROMEO + JULIET d. Baz Luhrmann, 1996 presented by Crofton Park Pictures at Rivoli Ballroom (14 FEB 20:00).
- THREE IDENTICAL STRANGERS d. Tim Wardle, 2017 at DocHouse (14 FEB 20:40).
- UNDER THE CLOCK d. Colm Nicell, 2018 + SHORT: SMITHY & DICKIE d. Hannah Quinn, 2018 at Regent Street Cinema (14 FEB 19:30 + free Prosecco).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
AND THE NOMINEES ARE… OSCARS 2019 at The Prince Charles (until 04 MAY):
- SHOPLIFTERS d. Hirokazu Koreeda, 2018 (14 FEB 13:00).
- SPIDER-MAN: INTO THE SPIDER-VERSE d. Rodney Rothman, Bob Persichetti & Peter Ramsey, 2018 (14 FEB 15:45).
- COLD WAR d. Pawel Pawlikowski, 2018 (14 FEB 16:00).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: AND THE ACADEMY AWARD DIDN’T GO TO… at BFI Southbank (FEB):
- BREATHLESS d. Jean-Luc Godard, 1960 (14 FEB 20:30).
- PUNCH-DRUNK LOVE 35mm d. Paul Thomas Anderson, 2002 (14 FEB 18:10).
CLOSE-UP ON VERA CHYTILOVÁ at Close-Up (13 FEB to 01 MAR):
- FRUIT OF PARADISE d. Vera Chytilová, 1970 (14 FEB 20:15).
FEELGOOD FILMS at House Of Vans (25 JAN to 17 FEB – FREE! No booking required):
- AMÉLIE (14 FEB 17:00 & 19:15).
LOVE? at Deptford Cinema (09 to 23 FEB):
- THE WAY HE LOOKS d. Daniel Ribeiro, 2014 (14 FEB 20:00).
LOVE IS IN THE AIR at The Prince Charles (08 to 17 FEB):
- PUNCH-DRUNK LOVE 35mm d. Paul Thomas Anderson, 2002 (14 FEB 18:10).
- SLEEPLESS IN SEATTLE 35mm d. Nora Ephron, 1993 (14 FEB 18:30).
- HOT FUZZ 35mm d. Edgar Wright (14 FEB 21:00).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- Stereo Spasms Festival: Celebrating Luc Ferrari at 90 (07 to 14 FEB).
AMÉRICA d. Erick Stoll & Chase Whiteside, 2018 at DocHouse (14 FEB 14:45):
- An astonishingly tender observational film about three brothers caring for their 93-year-old grandmother, América. What initially seems to be a narrative about one of the brothers just passing the time by the beach suddenly shifts when their dad is charged with neglecting América.
IF BEALE STREET COULD TALK d. Barry Jenkins, 2019 at Rich Mix (14 FEB 18:00 & 20:45):
- Set in early 1970s Harlem, IF BEALE STREET COULD TALK tells the story of Tish and Fonny. The couple’s sweet romance is horribly derailed when Fonny is falsely accused of rape and imprisoned. Tish and their families race to clear his name before their baby is born.
YELLOW IS FORBIDDEN d. Pietra Brettkelly, 2018 at DocHouse (14 FEB 18:40):
- Givenchy, Lagerfeld, Chanel, Dior Gaultier… It is perhaps the most exclusive club in the world. 21. Mostly men. European. Now there may be another name added to that list. From a country with the world’s largest population, Guo Pei is China’s only haute couture designer, with one of her pieces taking 50,000 painstaking hours to complete.
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- ALL IS TRUE d. Kenneth Branagh, 2018 at ArtHouse Crouch End (08 to 14 FEB). BOY ERASED d. Joel Edgerton, 2018 at Picturehouse Central (08 to 14 FEB – Other Picturehouses available!). BURNING d. Lee Chang-dong, 2018 at Watermans (08 to 14 FEB). CAN YOU EVER FORGIVE ME? d. Marielle Heller, 2018 at JW3 (until 14 FEB). COLETTE d. Wash Westmoreland, 2018 at The Prince Charles (08 to 14 FEB). THE FAVOURITE d. Yorgos Lanthimos, 2018 at Ciné Lumière (08 to 13 FEB). FREE SOLO d. Jimmy Chin & Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi, 2018 at ICA (until 13 FEB). GREEN BOOK d. Peter Farrelly, 2018 at The Castle Cinema (until 14 FEB). HALE COUNTY THIS MORNING, THIS EVENING d. RaMell Ross, 2018 at BFI (08 to 11 FEB). LEAVE NO TRACE d. Debra Granik, 2018 at Whirled Cinema (11 to 17 FEB). MARY QUEEN OF SCOTS d. Josie Rourke, 2018 at Regent Street Cinema (until 13 FEB). ONE CUT OF THE DEAD d. Shinichiro Ueda, 2018 at The Prince Charles (until 13 FEB). SHOPLIFTERS d. Hirokazu Kore-eda, 2018 at ICA (until 14 FEB). VICE d. Adam McKay, 2018 at The Lexi (until 14 FEB).
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
SIGN UP to our free eNEWS for regular updates about London’s indie cinema scene.
SUPPORT our work at RADIANT CIRCUS and help promote indie cinema in London. As a Patron, you will get our unique SCREEN GUIDES delivered directly to your inbox, exclusive discounts for screen events and much more!
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.