RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
FILM & FOOD CLUB: LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE with dinner/discussion at The Refreshment Rooms + film at Peckhamplex (14 MAY 19:00):
- A new partnership between Peckhamplex and The Refreshment Rooms to take place on the second Monday of the month. Food then film then discussion over coffee.
KINO CABARET + Q&A at The Institute Of Light (14 MAY 20:00):
- Short Sighted Cinema presents an evening of “bold and beautiful short films that explore the traditions of performance and storytelling with a cinematic quest into dark humour, funny fables and cautionary tales you won’t want to forget!” Followed by an industry networking event.
UNDER MILK WOOD + TALK + CHOIR at Genesis Cinema (14 MAY 18:45):
- Celebrate International Dylan Thomas day with a special screening of Kevin Allen’s UNDER MILK WOOD. Trefor Ellis, the son-in-law of Dylan Thomas, will give a talk and recite sketches from UNDER MILK WOOD before the screening, and Borough Welsh Choir will perform music from the Eli Jenkins Prayer for the closing credits.
More films in London today (A – Z): DEAF AWARENESS WEEK: SHORT FILM SHOWCASE HOH subtitled at Picturehouse Central (14 MAY 18:30 – other Picturehouses available!). DISTANT SKY: NICK CAVE & THE BAD SEEDS LIVE IN COPENHAGEN at Genesis Cinema (14 MAY 21:00). GHOSTBUSTERS (1984) at Rooftop Film Club, Shoreditch (14 MAY 21:00). KILLER JOE at The Prince Charles (14 MAY 20:45). TAKE TWO: KISS ME DEADLY at Close-Up (14 MAY 19:30) to be followed tomorrow by REPO MAN (15 MAY 20:30). WALK WITH ME + Q&A with director Marc J. Francis & 3 of the monks who reside in the monastery featured in the film at Regent Street Cinema (14 MAY 17:00). WALK WITH ME at Deptford Cinema (14 MAY 20:00).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
ANIMATION 2018 at BFI Southbank (all year):
READY PLAYER ONE SEASON at Picturehouse (09 APR to 15 MAY):
- BLADE RUNNER: THE FINAL CUT (14 MAY 18:20 – other Picturehouses available!).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Herne Hill Free Film Festival (01 MAY to 01 JUN)
- Next screening 17 MAY.
SERET: London Israeli Film & Television Festival (06 to 17 MAY)
- A LETTER FROM LONDON + Q&A with directors Douglas Dalgleish and Melvyn Lipitch (14 MAY 14:00, JW3).
- MONTANA + Q&A with director Limor Shmila (14 MAY 16:00, JW3).
- OSLO DIARIES (14 MAY 18:00, Phoenix Cinema).
- HOLY AIR (14 MAY 18:30, JW3).
Everyman Music Film Festival (07 to 31 MAY)
- THE LIFE & TIMES OF BOB MARLEY & THE WAILERS + Q&A with Roger Steffens and John Masouri (14 MAY 19:30, Everyman Baker Street).
THE CURED at The Prince Charles (14 MAY 13:30):
- First time director David Freyne shows there’s plenty of life in the undead yet with a startling new horror film. THE CURED dares to ask: what would the return to normal life be like after a zombie outbreak has been tamed? What follows is a ruthless study of a society still in free fall as one terror is rapidly replaced by another. Human nature, it seems, is our own worst enemy.
- Read our RADIANT CIRCUS writeup from last year’s London Film Festival.
THE POETESS at DocHouse (14 MAY 16:30 & 20:30):
- In 2010, Saudi Arabian writer and activist Hissa Hilal did something unimaginable – she starred in the Arab World’s biggest televised live poetry competition. Storming through the rounds, and becoming progressively more political in her critique of religious extremism and her patriarchal society, Hilal became the first woman to reach the show’s final.
REVENGE at ArtHouse Crouch End (14 MAY 16:05 & 21:00):
- Left for dead by her boyfriend and his alpha-male friends in the remote desert, Jen rises like a phoenix to enact the bloodiest revenge possible. First-time director Coralie Fargeat has conjured a masterpiece so gruesome that paramedics had to attend to one audience member at its Toronto International Film Festival premiere.
- Also at Barbican (11 to 17 MAY) and Rio Cinema (11 to 17 MAY).
More films in London this week (A to Z – click for dates/times): ANON at Rio Cinema (11 to 17 MAY). ENTEBBE at Phoenix Cinema (11 to 17 MAY). A FANTASTIC WOMAN at Whirled Cinema (14 to 20 MAY). HOW TO TALK TO GIRLS AT PARTIES at Picturehouse Central (11 to 17 MAY – other Picturehouses available!). MANSFIELD 66/67 at ICA (11 to 17 MAY) and Rio Cinema(11 to 17 MAY). SHADOW WORLD at DocHouse (11 to 17 MAY).
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
Get all our guides delivered directly to your inbox – plus other great rewards – with a low-cost RADIANT CIRCUS monthly membership, available exclusively at Patreon.
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We check box office each morning for films in London today and try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.
Featured attraction: AKIRA (14 MAY 18:15, BFI IMAX).