RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Featured attraction: FALLING DOWN 35mm + INTRO by The Celluloid Sorceress at The Prince Charles (14 AUG 20:45): “About a great sadness which turns into madness, and which can afflict anyone who is told, after many years of hard work, that he is unnecessary and irrelevant.” – Roger Ebert.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
THE EYES OF ORSON WELLES + Q&A with director Mark Cousins at BFI Southbank (14 AUG 20:00):
- Before becoming an actor and director, Orson Welles trained as an artist. He painted and drew throughout his life, sketching set designs, storyboards, ideas and places and people that inspired him. Award-winning director Mark Cousins, a life-long Welles admirer, is granted unprecedented access to Welles’ sketches – most of which have never been seen outside of his family – and with it builds a picture of the unique way Welles saw the world.
FALLING DOWN 35mm + INTRO by The Celluloid Sorceress at The Prince Charles (14 AUG 20:45):
- The Celluloid Sorceress’ retrospective of Joel Schumacher comes to The Prince Charles with the dark fable commonly hailed as the director’s masterpiece. Michael Douglas is D-FENS, a white collar, white male suburban defense worker trapped in gridlock on his way to work on the Los Angeles freeway. Brought to breaking point by the accumulation of daily frustrations and antagonisms he snaps, abandoning his car and embarking on a mosaic journey “home”. A selection of vintage 35mm trailers screen before the feature.
More films in London today (A – Z):
- ATTACK THE BLOCK at Backyard Cinema (14 AUG 20:30).
- BRIEF ENCOUNTER at BFI (14 AUG 18:05).
- COLD WAR at Picturehouse Central (14 AUG 18:30).
- THE GREATEST SHOWMAN at Rooftop Film Club, Shoreditch (14 AUG 21:00).
- HEATHERS at Genesis Cinema (14 AUG 21:00).
- L’AGE D’OR 35mm at BFI (14 AUG 18:30).
- MCQUEEN at Prince Charles (14 AUG 12:30).
- PROSPERO’S BOOKS presented by Tufnell Park Film Club at The Lord Palmerston (14 AUG 20:00).
- THE RECEPTIONIST at Regent Street Cinema (14 AUG 19:30).
- SALÒ OR 120 DAYS OF SODOM presented by Deeper Into Movies at Moth Club (14 AUG 19:00).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
70mm PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles (ongoing):
- 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY new ‘unrestored’ 70mm print (14 AUG 20:01).
AGNÈS VARDA: GLEANING TRUTHS various venues (AUG to SEP):
PINTER ON SCREEN: POWER, SEX & POLITICS at BFI Southbank (AUG):
- BETRAYAL 16mm (14 AUG 20:40).
REBEL WITH A CAUSE at Bertha DocHouse (until 16 AUG):
- ¡LAS SANDINISTAS! (14 AUG 20:30).
SPAGHETTI WESTERNS at Deptford Cinema (until 14 AUG):
- ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST (14 AUG 19:00).
SUMMER IN THE CITY at Genesis Cinema (06 to 30 AUG – tickets £5!):
- MY SUMMER OF LOVE (14 AUG 19:00).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
We don’t think there are any film festivals projecting in London today. But that means we’ve probably missed something…
> Let us know in the comments below.
DRAGONFLY EYES at ICA (14 AUG 19:15):
- Created entirely from hundreds of hours of downloadable Chinese surveillance footage, DRAGONFLY EYES’ unsettling fictional narrative tells the story of a young woman who leaves a Buddhist monastery to begin a new life, working in various jobs until she ultimately finds fame online.
HEATHERS: 30TH ANNIVERSARY at The Prince Charles (14 AUG 15:30):
- In order to get out of the snobby clique that is destroying her good-girl reputation, intelligent teen Veronica (Winona Ryder) teams up with a dark sociopath, J.D. (Christian Slater) in a plot to kill the cool kids in what is one of the decade’s defining cult classics of 1980s cinema.
LEANING INTO THE WIND – ANDY GOLDSWORTHY at ArtHouse Crouch End (14 AUG 14:45):
- Sixteen years after their first collaboration on the groundbreaking RIVERS AND TIDES, filmmaker Thomas Riedelsheimer returns with an absorbing documentary portrait of the influential British sculptor and environmentalist.
More films in London this week (A – Z): THE APPARITION at Lexi Cinema (11 to 16 AUG). A SICILIAN GHOST STORY at The Castle Cinema (11 to 16 AUG). THE HEIRESS at The Institute Of Light (10 to 16 AUG). ISLE OF DOGS at Whirled Cinema (13 to 19 AUG). MAURICE at BFI (11 to 16 AUG). MCQUEEN at Rio Cinema (10 to 16 AUG). OF FATHERS AND SONS at ICA (10 to 16 AUG). POPE FRANCIS – A MAN OF HIS WORD at Phoenix Cinema (10 to 16 AUG). THROUGH LOTTE’S LENS at JW3 (12 to 16 AUG). UNDER THE TREE at Barbican (10 to 16 AUG).
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
SIGN UP to our free eNEWS for regular updates about London’s indie cinema scene.
SUBSCRIBE to get our unique SCREEN GUIDE listings delivered directly to your inbox – plus other great rewards! – with a low-cost RADIANT CIRCUS monthly membership.
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We check box office each morning for films in London today and try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.