SCREEN GUIDE DAILY: Films in London today 14.08.19
RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Find films in London today by: SINGLE-O EXHIBITS (one-off attractions) // MUSEUM SHOWS (several exhibits under one roof – seasons & festivals) // GRIND SHOWS (a selection of regular runs).
No News Today II with artist-filmmaker Ayo Akingbade In Conversation at ICA (14 AUG 18:45):
- Artists’ Film Club presents: “A screening of London-based artist-filmmaker Ayo Akingbade’s social housing trilogy No News Today, including the premiere of DEAR BABYLON (2019), TOWER XYZ 16mm (2016), & STREET 66 16mm (2018).”
NEW AT RADIANT CIRCUS
We want to make sure you never miss a frame… Plan ahead with our epic monthly roundup of London’s repertory seasons & film festivals for AUGUST.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
More films in London today (A – Z):
- CROSSFIRE d. Edward Dmytryk, 1947 presented by Kennington Noir at The Cinema Museum (14 AUG 19:30).
- HAMADA d. Eloy Domínguez Serén, 2018 at DocHouse (14 AUG 20:40).
- MARIANNE & LEONARD: WORDS OF LOVE d. Nick Broomfield, 2019 at BFI (14 AUG 18:15).
- MEMORIES OF UNDERDEVELOPMENT d. Tomas Gutierrez Alea, 1968 at Deptford Cinema (14 AUG 19:45).
- THE NANNY d. Seth Holt, 1965 at Regent Street Cinema (14 AUG 12:00 & 15:30).
- ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD 35mm d. Quentin Tarrantino, 2019 at Barbican (14 AUG 20:10 – Currently looking SOLD OUT!).
- PAVAROTTI d. Ron Howard, 2019 at JW3 (14 AUG 20:30).
- PONTE AÉREA d. Julia Rezende, 2015 presented by CineClub Brazil at the Embassy of Brazil (14 AUG 18:15 – FREE!).
- THE WHITE CROW d. Ralph Fiennes, 2018 presented by Screen25 at Harris Academy South Norwood (14 AUG 19:45 – Use exclusive promo code “CIRCUS19” to book & save!).
- VARDA BY AGNÈS d. Agnès Varda, 2019 at The Castle Cinema (14 AUG 18:45).
> SIGN UP for free Friday emails highlighting 7 days of sensational screens.
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
70mm PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles (ongoing):
- TERMINATOR II: JUDGMENT DAY 70mm d. James Cameron, 1991 (14 AUG 20:45).
BACKYARD CINEMA: L.A. NIGHTS at Roundhouse (19 JUL to 24 AUG):
- MEAN GIRLS (14 AUG 20:30).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: TURMOIL! at BFI Southbank (AUG):
- DAY OF WRATH 35mm d. Carl Theodor Dreyer, 1943 + Intro by Dr Claire Thomson (14 AUG 18:10).
CARY GRANT: BRITAIN’S GREATEST EXPORT at BFI Southbank (AUG to SEP):
- ONLY ANGELS HAVE WINGS d. Howard Hawks, 1939 (14 AUG 18:20).
- HIS GIRL FRIDAY d. Howard Hawks, 1940 (14 AUG 20:45).
- NOTORIOUS d. Alfred Hitchcock, 1946 enjoys a grind show run (09 AUG to 22 AUG).
FILM4 SUMMER SCREEN at Somerset House (08 to 21 AUG):
- THIS IS ENGLAND d. Shane Meadows, 2006 (14 AUG 19:00).
NINETIES: YOUNG CINEMA REBELS at BFI Southbank (JUL to AUG):
- YOUNG SOUL REBELS 35mm d. Isaac Julien, 1991 + Intro with the director (14 AUG 20:30 – “Isaac Julien will join us for an extended introduction rather than a Q&A as previously advertised”).
ONCE UPON A TIME WITH TARANTINO at The Prince Charles (until 14 AUG):
- THE NIGHT THEY RAIDED MINSKY’S 35mm d. William Friedkin, 1968 (14 AUG 18:20).
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB various roofs (until 31 JUL):
- THE COMMITMENTS (14 AUG 20:15 – Stratford).
SUMMER FILM NIGHTS at The Italian Cultural Institute (AUG – FREE!):
- THERE IS A LIGHT d. Fabio Mollo, 2017 (14 AUG 18:30).
TRILOGIES & TRIPTYCHS at Close-Up Centre (01 AUG to 01 SEP):
- Michelangelo Antonioni’s Alienation Trilogy – L’AVVENTURA d. Michelangelo Antonioni, 1960 (14 AUG 20:15).
WE’RE GONNA PARTY LIKE IT’S 1999! at The Prince Charles (02 MAY to 26 NOV):
- THE MATRIX d. Lana Wachowski & Lilly Wachowski, 1999 enjoys a grind show run (14 AUG 12:25 & 21:00).
> SUBSCRIBE to get our full listings emailed & support #LDNindieFILM.
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
We don’t think that there are any film festivals in London today but we’ve been wrong before… please let us know! Find out what’s coming in our Festivals A to Z.
GAZA d. Garry Keane & Andrew McConnell, 2018 at DocHouse (14 AUG 18:30):
- “17-year-old Karma Khaial stands by the Mediterranean Sea that represents freedom to her. But in Gaza, the sea is yet another wall restricting the lives and dreams of its inhabitants. This elegantly shot and masterfully crafted portrait of Palestinian life offers a rare chance to be immersed in the heart of Gaza.”
NOTORIOUS 4K d. Alfred Hitchcock, 1946 at ArtHouse Crouch End (14 AUG 12:00):
- “Two of the most iconic and powerful stars of their day pair up in Hitchcock’s post-war spy thriller, film noir – with just a dash of screwball dialogue and some serious romance – and the results are electric.”
STONES HAVE LAWS d. Lonnie van Brummelen, Siebren de Haan & Tolin Erwin Alexander, 2018 at ICA (14 AUG 18:35):
- “An immersive initiation into the life of a Maroon community in the former Dutch colony of Suriname. Combining stories of African ancestral traditions and escaped slavery with enacted contemporary rituals, the film explores how the community’s powerful ties to the land have become endangered as industries threaten to devastate the region through deforestation and mining.”
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- ANIMALS d. Sophie Hyde, 2019 at Phoenix Cinema (09 to 12 AUG). APOLLO 11 d. Todd Douglas Miller, 2019 at DocHouse (until 14 AUG). ASK DR. RUTH d. Ryan White, 2019 at JW3 (until 15 AUG). BLINDED BY THE LIGHT d. Gurinder Chadha, 2019 at ArtHouse Crouch End (09 to 15 AUG). CALL ME BY YOUR NAME d. Luca Guadagnino, 2017 at The Prince Charles (until 15 AUG). THE CHAMBERMAID d. Lila Avilés, 2018 at ICA (until 15 AUG). THE DEAD DON’T DIE d. Jim Jarmusch, 2019 at The Castle Cinema (10 to 13 AUG). DIEGO MARADONA d. Asif Kapadia, 2019 at ICA (09 to 15 AUG). HAPPY AS LAZZARO d. Alice Rohrwacher, 2018 at Whirled Cinema (12 to 18 AUG). MARIANNE & LEONARD: WORDS OF LOVE d. Nick Broomfield, 2019 at ArtHouse Crouch End (until 15 AUG). THE MATRIX d. Lana Wachowski & Lilly Wachowski, 1999 at The Prince Charles (until 15 AUG). NEVER LOOK AWAY d. Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck, 2019 at ICA (until 15 AUG). OLDBOY 4K d. Chan-wook Park, 2003 at The Prince Charles (until 15 AUG). OPUS ZERO d. Daniel Graham, 2017 at ICA (09 to 14 AUG). TELL IT TO THE BEESd. Annabel Jankel, 2018 at Watermans (09 to 15 AUG). UNE FEMME DOUCE d. Robert Bresson, 1969 at ICA (until 15 AUG). YESTERDAY d. Danny Boyle, 2019 at The Prince Charles (09 to 15 AUG)
Subscribe & support
RADIANT CIRCUS – “Home of alternative screen culture in London” (Film London) – is supported entirely by readers’ monthly subscriptions. Subscribers get our listings emailed directly as well as other great rewards. With enough subscribers backing us, we will be able to: 1) establish RADIANT CIRCUS as a permanent resource; 2) fund a full site rebuild to make our listings more social and searchable; and, 3) stage free events for subscribers as our way of saying a huge thank you! Our target? One thousand passionate film fans sharing what they love so that many more can discover it. Subscribe at patreon.com/radiantcircus
“I love everything you’re doing with RADIANT CIRCUS, the output is brilliant. And just so great to see it grow. Kudos to you.” (A fan via email!).
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.