SCREEN GUIDE DAILY: Films in London today 15.01.19
RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Find films in London today by: SINGLE-O EXHIBITS (one-off attractions) // MUSEUM SHOWS (several exhibits under one roof – seasons & festivals) // GRIND SHOWS (a selection of regular runs).
HALE COUNTY THIS MORNING, THIS EVENING + Q&A with director RaMell Ross at BFI Southbank (15 JAN 18:15):
- “Photographer-turned-filmmaker RaMell Ross has crafted an innovative, impressionistic portrait of contemporary life in Hale County, Alabama, offering a new way of seeing and experiencing the heat and the hearts of people in the Black Belt region of the USA.”
- Read our RADIANT CIRCUS writeup of RaMell Ross’ film, HERE.
New at RADIANT CIRCUS:
- The 16th London Short Film Festival (11 to 20 JAN 2019) projects this week and many screenings are filling up and flying by. We took a look at the special events programme to pick our top ten best of the fest. Read our #LSFF2019 guide HERE.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
EVELYN + Q&A with director Orlando von Einsiedel & producer Joanna Natasegara at BFI Southbank (15 JAN 20:35):
- “Following his Oscar-winning THE WHITE HELMETS, Orlando von Einsiedel turns his camera on his own family as they attempt to cope with a devastating loss.”
SUPERBOB + Q&A with actor Brett Goldstein & director Jon Drever at The David Lean (15 JAN 19:30):
- Stand-Up Film Club in collab with Screen25 & The Croydon Comedy Festival presents: “After a freak meteor storm turns Peckham postman Bob into a superhero, he must face his greatest challenge: going on his first date in six years.”
More films in London today (A – Z):
- A CITY OF SADNESS 35mm aka Beiqíng chéngshì at The Prince Charles (15 JAN 20:30).
- AN ELEPHANT SITTING STILL at ICA (15 JAN 12:20).
- FREE SOLO at ICA (15 JAN 16:45)
- GASLIGHT presented by Tufnell Park Film Club at The Lord Palmerston (15 JAN 20:00).
- THE HOUSE THAT JACK BUILT at The Prince Charles (15 JAN 12:30).
- SHOPLIFTERS at Genesis Cinema (15 JAN 18:20).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: THINGS THAT GO BUMP IN THE NIGHT at BFI Southbank (03 to 31 JAN):
- THE PANTOM OF THE OPERA (1925 + Carl Davis score) (15 JAN 20:40).
THE GOLDEN AGE OF ALEXANDER KORDA: BRITAIN’S MOVIE MOGUL at BFI Southbank (JAN):
- OVER THE MOON 35mm (15 JAN 18:20).
LAUREL AND HARDY at BFI Southbank (JAN):
- SONS OF THE DESERT + THE MUSIC BOX (15 JAN 20:30).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- London Short Film Festival (11 to 20 JAN).
> Read our RADIANT CIRCUS guide to LSFF 2019.
THE HOUSE BY THE SEA aka La Villa at Ciné Lumière (15 JAN 18:30):
- By a little bay near Marseille lies a picturesque villa owned by an old man. His three children have gathered by his side for his last days. It’s time for them to weigh up what they have inherited of their father’s ideals and the community spirit he created in this magical place. The arrival, at a nearby cove, of a group of boat people will throw these moments of reflection into turmoil.
ISLAND OF THE HUNGRY GHOSTS at DocHouse (15 JAN 14:00):
- A man makes a break for it in the blueish green light of the rainforest; rangers come to the aid of millions of land crabs as they begin their annual migration to the shoreline from the depths of the lush vegetation. Christmas Island is a place of both astounding beauty, and fierce nature, where the locals make offerings to their ghosts.
VOICES OF THE SEA at DocHouse (15 JAN 18:30):
- Although fisherman Orlando struggles to make ends meet, he is content with his life in Cuba, with his young wife Mariela and their extended family and community. Mariela dreams of a better life; financial security and a more stable future, a hope that is driving many Cubans to risk their lives on dozens of attempts to escape by boat and arrive on American soil.
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- AMERICAN ANIMALS at Whirled Cinema (14 to 20 JAN). AN IMPOSSIBLE LOVE at Ciné Lumière (until 17 JAN). A STAR IS BORN at The Prince Charles (until 17 JAN). COLETTE at Genesis (11 to 17 JAN). THE FAVOURITE at The Castle (11 to 17 JAN). FREE SOLO at Rio Cinema (until 17 JAN). THE INTERPRETER presented by UKJF at JW3 (13 to 17 FEB). THE JUDGE at JW3 (until 17 JAN). RBG at JW3 (until 16 JAN). ONE CUT OF THE DEAD at The Prince Charles (until 17 JAN). THE PASSENGER at BFI Southbank (until 24 FEB). SHOPLIFTERS at Rio Cinema (until 17 JAN). SINK OR SWIM aka Le Grand Bain at Ciné Lumière (until 16 JAN). SORRY TO BOTHER YOU at The Prince Charles (until 17 JAN). STAN & OLLIE at ArtHouse (11 to 17 JAN). THREE IDENTICAL STRANGERS at DocHouse (until 16 JAN). WIDOWS at The Prince Charles (until 17 JAN).
MORE: weekly digests // monthly roundups // event calendar // festivals A to Z.
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
SIGN UP to our free eNEWS for regular updates about London’s indie cinema scene.
SUPPORT our work at RADIANT CIRCUS and help promote indie cinema in London. As a Patron, you will get our unique SCREEN GUIDES delivered directly to your inbox, exclusive discounts for screen events and much more!
FOLLOW US on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram for daily updates.
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.