RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
A CAMBODIAN SPRING + Q&A director Chris Kelly, the Venerable Sovath (featured in the film) & investigative journalist Juliana Ruhfus at Fontline Club (15 MAY 19:00):
- An intimate and unique portrait of three people caught up in the chaotic and often violent development that is shaping modern-day Cambodia. Shot over 6 years, the film charts the growing wave of land-rights protests that led to the ‘Cambodian Spring’ and the tragic events that followed.
BRIGHTON: SYMPHONY OF A CITY + Q&A with director Lizzie Thynne & composer Ed Hughes at Deptford Cinema (15 MAY 19:00):
- This modern take on the ‘city symphony’ is a striking portrait of Brighton in all its campaigning and bohemian glory set to a sumptuous orchestral score. Bohemian and activist pasts and presents cross-fade; the everyday and the carnivalesque are thrown into relief by the textures, rhythms and tones of music and montage.
THE GRIFTERS 35mm + Q&A with director Stephen Frears, DoP Oliver Stapleton & editor Mick Audsley at The Prince Charles (15 MAY 18:15):
- When small-time cheat Roy Dillon (John Cusack) winds up in hospital following an unsuccessful scam, it sets up a confrontation between his estranged mother Lilly (Anjelica Huston) and alluring girlfriend Myra (Annette Bening). Both Lilly and Myra are con artists playing the game in a league far above Roy, and always looking for their next victim. As Roy finds himself caught in a complicated web of passion and mistrust, the question is who’s conning who?
More films in London today (A – Z): THE DEMINER at Picturehouse Central (15 MAY 18:30 – other Picturehouses available!). THE INSIDE MAN 35mm at The Prince Charles (15 MAY 20:45). THE NILE HILTON INCIDENT at The David Lean Cinema (15 MAY 19:30). REQUIEM FOR A DREAM at Rooftop Film Club, Shoreditch (15 MAY 21:00). TAKE TWO: REPO MAN (1984) at Close-Up (15 MAY 20:30). TRUE ROMANCE at Rooftop Film Club, Stratford (15 MAY 20:45). THE VIRGIN SUICIDES presented by Rich Flix Film Club at Rich Mix (15 MAY 18:30).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
TRIBUTE TO GASTON LEROUX at Ciné Lumière (15 to 27 MAY):
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Herne Hill Free Film Festival (01 MAY to 01 JUN)
- Next screening 17 MAY.
SERET: London Israeli Film & Television Festival (06 to 17 MAY)
- MY HERO BROTHER (15 MAY 16:00, JW3).
- LONGING (15 MAY 18:00, JW3).
- THE CAKEMAKER + Q&A with director Ofir Raul Graizer (15 MAY 20:00, Phoenix Cinema).
Everyman Music Film Festival (07 to 31 MAY)
- LOST IN VAGUENESS + LIVE PERFORMANCE (15 MAY 20:00, Screen On The Green).
THE POETESS at DocHouse (15 MAY 16:30 & 18:30):
- In 2010, Saudi Arabian writer and activist Hissa Hilal did something unimaginable – she starred in the Arab World’s biggest televised live poetry competition. Storming through the rounds, and becoming progressively more political in her critique of religious extremism and her patriarchal society, Hilal became the first woman to reach the show’s final.
REVENGE at ArtHouse Crouch End (15 MAY 16:15 & 21:25):
- Left for dead by her boyfriend and his alpha-male friends in the remote desert, Jen rises like a phoenix to enact the bloodiest revenge possible. First-time director Coralie Fargeat has conjured a masterpiece so gruesome that paramedics had to attend to one audience member at its Toronto International Film Festival premiere.
- Also at Barbican (11 to 17 MAY) and Rio Cinema (11 to 17 MAY).
THE WILD BOYS aka Les garçons sauvages at ICA (15 MAY 18:30):
- The debut feature film by French experimental filmmaker Bertrand Mandico. “Fantasy, eroticism, violence and mystery engulf a group of young, privileged teenage boys – all played by women – cast away from the island of La Réunion for committing a sadistic crime.”
More films in London this week (A to Z – click for dates/times): ANON at Rio Cinema (11 to 17 MAY). ENTEBBE at Phoenix Cinema (11 to 17 MAY). A FANTASTIC WOMAN at Whirled Cinema (14 to 20 MAY). HOW TO TALK TO GIRLS AT PARTIES at Picturehouse Central (11 to 17 MAY – other Picturehouses available!). MANSFIELD 66/67 at ICA (11 to 17 MAY) and Rio Cinema (11 to 17 MAY). SHADOW WORLD at DocHouse (11 to 17 MAY).
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
Get all our guides delivered directly to your inbox – plus other great rewards – with a low-cost RADIANT CIRCUS monthly membership, available exclusively at Patreon.
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We check box office each morning for films in London today and try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.
Featured attraction: TAKE TWO: REPO MAN (1984) at Close-Up (15 MAY 20:30).