RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
DEVIL’S PIE: D’ANGELO d. Carine Bijlsma, 2019 + Q&A with the director at Purcell Room (15 AUG 18:45):
- “In an exclusive UK premiere, see the documentary about the disappearance – and return – of D’Angelo. D’Angelo was a Grammy-winning singer with two platinum-selling albums and legions of adoring fans. Then, at the height of his success, the soul singer vanished from the limelight. After 12 years, he returned.”
NEW AT RADIANT CIRCUS
“Lunchtime is about so much more than soggy sandwiches & life admin, it’s a tiny slice of freedom offered once every day.” Evening Standard
Calling all City workers! We will shortly be launching a new popup cinema project to liberate you from lunch at your desk. Stay looped with our dedicated LUNCHTIME FILM newsletter.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
More films in London today (A – Z):
- Films to Be Buried With + guest Roisin Conaty at BFI Southbank (15 AUG 20:45).
- HAMADA d. Eloy Domínguez Serén, 2018 at DocHouse (15 AUG 14:00).
- HARD PAINT d. Filipe Matzembacher, 2018 at Barbican (15 AUG 20:45).
- Kino’s Short Film Open-Mic Night at Candid Arts (15 AUG 19:00).
- MIDNIGHT COWBOY d. John Schlesinger, 1969 at The Prince Charles (15 AUG 18:10).
- OLDBOY 4K d. Parn Chan-wook, 2005 presented by Truman’s at Genesis Cinema (15 AUG 21:00 – FREE pint of something Truman’s with every ticket).
- ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD 35mm d. Quentin Tarrantino, 2019 at Barbican (15 AUG 20:10).
- VARDA BY AGNÈS d. Agnès Varda, 2019 at The Castle Cinema (15 AUG 16:15).
- YESTERDAY d. Danny Boyle, 2019 at The David Lean (15 AUG 14:30 HOH – the 19:30 screening is currently looking SOLD OUT!).
> SIGN UP for free Friday emails highlighting 7 days of sensational screens.
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: TURMOIL! at BFI Southbank (AUG):
- LE JOUR SE LÈVE d. Marcel Carné, 1939 (15 AUG 18:15).
CARY GRANT: BRITAIN’S GREATEST EXPORT at BFI Southbank (AUG to SEP):
- MY FAVOURITE WIFE 35mm d. Garson Kanin, 1940 (15 AUG 18:30).
- NOTORIOUS d. Alfred Hitchcock, 1946 enjoys a grind show run (15 AUG 14:30, 18:20 & 20:30).
FILM4 SUMMER SCREEN at Somerset House (08 to 21 AUG):
- STRAIGHT OUTTA COMPTON d. F. Gary Gray, 2015 (15 AUG 19:00).
THE FILMS OF DAVID FINCHER at The Prince Charles (15 AUG to 21 NOV):
- ALIEN³ [WORKPRINT] d. David Fincher, 1992 (15 AUG 20:45).
FOCUS ON AGNÈS VARDA at BFI Southbank (JUL):
- VARDA BY AGNÈS d. Agnès Varda, 2019 (15 AUG 18:25).
HEAT OF THE MOMENT: TURNING POINTS ON FILM at Barbican Centre (01 to 29 AUG):
- I KNEW HER WELL d. Antonio Pietrangeli, 1965 (15 AUG 18:30).
NO DIRECT FLIGHT at BFI Southbank (AUG):
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB various roofs (until 31 JUL):
WE’RE GONNA PARTY LIKE IT’S 1999! at The Prince Charles (02 MAY to 26 NOV):
- THE MATRIX d. Lana Wachowski & Lilly Wachowski, 1999 enjoys a grind show run (15 AUG 15:15).
> SUBSCRIBE to get our full listings emailed & support #LDNindieFILM.
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
We don’t think that there are any film festivals in London this week but we’ve been wrong before… please let us know! Find out what’s coming in our Festivals A to Z.
GAZA d. Garry Keane & Andrew McConnell, 2018 at DocHouse (15 AUG 20:45):
- “17-year-old Karma Khaial stands by the Mediterranean Sea that represents freedom to her. But in Gaza, the sea is yet another wall restricting the lives and dreams of its inhabitants. This elegantly shot and masterfully crafted portrait of Palestinian life offers a rare chance to be immersed in the heart of Gaza.”
NOTORIOUS 4K d. Alfred Hitchcock, 1946 at ArtHouse Crouch End (15 AUG 10:45):
- “Two of the most iconic and powerful stars of their day pair up in Hitchcock’s post-war spy thriller, film noir – with just a dash of screwball dialogue and some serious romance – and the results are electric.”
STONES HAVE LAWS d. Lonnie van Brummelen, Siebren de Haan & Tolin Erwin Alexander, 2018 at ICA (15 AUG 18:35):
- “An immersive initiation into the life of a Maroon community in the former Dutch colony of Suriname. Combining stories of African ancestral traditions and escaped slavery with enacted contemporary rituals, the film explores how the community’s powerful ties to the land have become endangered as industries threaten to devastate the region through deforestation and mining.”
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- ANIMALS d. Sophie Hyde, 2019 at Phoenix Cinema (09 to 12 AUG). APOLLO 11 d. Todd Douglas Miller, 2019 at DocHouse (until 14 AUG). ASK DR. RUTH d. Ryan White, 2019 at JW3 (until 15 AUG). BLINDED BY THE LIGHT d. Gurinder Chadha, 2019 at ArtHouse Crouch End (09 to 15 AUG). CALL ME BY YOUR NAME d. Luca Guadagnino, 2017 at The Prince Charles (until 15 AUG). THE CHAMBERMAID d. Lila Avilés, 2018 at ICA (until 15 AUG). THE DEAD DON’T DIE d. Jim Jarmusch, 2019 at The Castle Cinema (10 to 13 AUG). DIEGO MARADONA d. Asif Kapadia, 2019 at ICA (09 to 15 AUG). HAPPY AS LAZZARO d. Alice Rohrwacher, 2018 at Whirled Cinema (12 to 18 AUG). MARIANNE & LEONARD: WORDS OF LOVE d. Nick Broomfield, 2019 at ArtHouse Crouch End (until 15 AUG). THE MATRIX d. Lana Wachowski & Lilly Wachowski, 1999 at The Prince Charles (until 15 AUG). NEVER LOOK AWAY d. Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck, 2019 at ICA (until 15 AUG). OLDBOY 4K d. Chan-wook Park, 2003 at The Prince Charles (until 15 AUG). OPUS ZERO d. Daniel Graham, 2017 at ICA (09 to 14 AUG). TELL IT TO THE BEES d. Annabel Jankel, 2018 at Watermans (09 to 15 AUG). UNE FEMME DOUCE d. Robert Bresson, 1969 at ICA (until 15 AUG). YESTERDAY d. Danny Boyle, 2019 at The Prince Charles (09 to 15 AUG).
Subscribe & support
RADIANT CIRCUS – “Home of alternative screen culture in London” (Film London) – is supported entirely by readers’ monthly subscriptions. Subscribers get our listings emailed directly as well as other great rewards. With enough subscribers backing us, we will be able to: 1) establish RADIANT CIRCUS as a permanent resource; 2) fund a full site rebuild to make our listings more social and searchable; and, 3) stage free events for subscribers as our way of saying a huge thank you! Our target? One thousand passionate film fans sharing what they love so that many more can discover it. Subscribe at patreon.com/radiantcircus
“I love everything you’re doing with RADIANT CIRCUS, the output is brilliant. And just so great to see it grow. Kudos to you.” (A fan via email!).
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.