RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Featured attraction: If you love Edge Of Frame as much as we do, you’ll love this… PHASED RETURN at Close-Up Centre (15 SEP 21:00): “Edwin Rostron and Supreme Vagabond Craftsman present a new audiovisual performance incorporating animation, video, electronic music and long-form prose poetry.”
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
Back To School Double Bill: TO SIR WITH LOVE + WHAT WE DID ON OUR HOLIDAY at St Barnabas Millennium Halls (15 SEP 19:00):
- Pitshanger Pictures presents: TO SIR WITH LOVE, a timeless Sixties classic movie about an earnest teacher (Sidney Poitier) who takes up a position in a tough school in London’s East End. WHAT WE DID ON OUR HOLIDAY, a family comedy written and directed by Andy Hamilton and Guy Jenkin (creators of OUTNUMBERED).
FLAMIN Fellowship Screenings + DISCUSSON at The Whitechapel Gallery (15 SEP 15:00):
- New and recent work by the six artists – Graeme Arnfield, Calum Bowden, Rosie Carr, Callum Hill, Onyeka Igwe and Kristina Pulejkova – who have participated in The FLAMIN Fellowship, a major new scheme for early career artist filmmakers.
LUCKY + Q&A with screenwriter Logan Sparks at Curzon Soho (15 SEP 18:00):
- LUCKY follows the spiritual journey of Harry Dean Stanton’s character Lucky, a cantankerous, self-reliant 90 year old atheist, and the quirky characters that inhabit the Arizona town where he lives.
MISS ROSEWOOD + Q&A with Miss Rosewood & director Helle Jensen at Rio Cinema (15 SEP 16:15):
- A multi-award winning portrait of New York’s most outrageous, daring performance artist – Miss Rosewood, transgender terrorist on the New York hardcore performance scene – and a reminder of how intense and explicit queer art can be.
PHASED RETURN at Close-Up Centre (15 SEP 21:00):
- Edwin Rostron and Supreme Vagabond Craftsman present a new audiovisual performance incorporating animation, video, electronic music and long-form prose poetry. This piece marks the culmination of a decade-long creative collaboration rooted in improvisation and experimentation.
PRETTY IN PINK + PARTY & LIP-SYNCING COMPETITON at Deptford Cinema (15 SEP 19:00):
- Forever Young Film Club presents one of the most quintessential and iconic teen films of all time. Starring the original teen queen Molly Ringwald and written by John Hughes whose work served as the creative inspiration behind a whole wave of films throughout the 1980s and beyond.
More films in London today (A – Z):
- THE BATTLE OF THE ANCRE AND THE ADVANCE OF THE TANKS + LIVE ORCHESTRAL ACCOMPANIMENT at St Mary’s Church Walthamstow (15 SEP 19:30).
- BOOM FOR REAL at Bernie Grant Arts Centre (15 SEP 19:00).
- THE DEATH OF STALIN presented by Talkies Community Cinema at Waterhouse Hall Theatre (15 SEP 19:30).
- Double Bill: PARIS, TEXAS + REPO MAN at Rio Cinema (15 SEP 13:00 + 15:30).
- THE HEIRESS at Regent Street Cinema (15 SEP 14:00, 16:00, 18:00 & 20:00).
- ISLAND + DISCUSSION/Q&A at DocHouse (15 SEP 16:00).
- LES ENFANTS DU PARADIS at BFI (15 SEP 15:00).
- PADDINGTON 2 presented by Stow Film Lounge in the grounds of Christ Church (15 SEP 18:30).
- PLEASE SIR! 50th Anniversary Cast Reunion presented by Misty Moon at The Cinema Museum (15 SEP 20:00).
- ROMEO + JULIET at Rooftop Film Club, Stratford (15 SEP 20:00).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
ALWAYS SOMEWHERE ELSE – THE CINEMA OF ANGELA SCHANELEC IN DIALOGUE at Goethe-Institut (13 to 25 SEP):
- Angela Schanelec: THE DREAMED PATH & Helena Wittman: DRIFT (15 SEP 16:30).
BACK 2 SCHOOL at House Of Vans (06 to 23 SEP – Free!/No booking required):
- MEAN GIRLS (15 SEP 15:00 & 17:30).
BLACK AND BANNED at BFI Southbank (SEP TO OCT):
ÉRIC ROHMER’S TALES OF THE FOUR SEASONS at Close-Up (03 to 11 SEP):
- A TALE OF WINTER (15 AUG 18:00).
FIERCE: THE UNTAMEABLE JOAN CRAWFORD at BFI Southbank (until OCT):
- DAISY KENYON 35mm (15 SEP 18:30).
HARRY DEAN STANTON FOCUS at BFI Southbank (SEP to OCT):
- LUCKY (15 SEP 16:00, 18:40 & 20:45).
LATE NIGHTS at Everyman Screen on The Green (ongoing):
- EDWARD SCISSORHANDS (15 SEP 23:30).
THE TELEVISION WILL BE REVOLUTIONISED: Channel 4 and the 1982 Workshop Declaration at Barbican (13 to 16 SEP):
- FAREWELL TO THE WELFARE STATE + WELCOME TO THE SPIV ECONOMY (15 SEP 16:00).
WORKING CLASS HEROES at BFI Southbank (SEP to OCT):
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- Aperture: Asia & Pacific Film Festival (15 to 30 SEP).
- Catford Free Film Festival (09 to 16 SEP).
- Fighting Spirit Film Festival (14 to 15 SEP).
- Peckham & Nunhead Free Film Festival (31 AUG to 16 SEP).
- Safar Film Festival (13 to 18 SEP).
- Scalarama (SEP).
REINVENTING MARVIN at Ciné Lumière (15 SEP 18:00):
- Marvin Bijou (Finnegan Oldfield), a young gay boy from a working-class family in a small French village, suffers constant bullying at school and home for being too sensitive and too feminine. A chance encounter with a drama teacher opens the doors to a world that offers him the chance to escape his situation.
- Read our RADIANT CIRCUS writeup from LFF 2017.
REVERSING ROE at ICA (15 SEP 12:25):
- In their latest documentary, Ricki Stern and Annie Sundberg chronicle the history of the abortion and unpack the process by which it grew from a personal issue to a political one.
THE RIDER at Phoenix Cinema (15 SEP 16:20):
- Once a rising star of the rodeo circuit, Brady is warned that his competition days are over after a tragic riding accident. Back home, he finds himself wondering what he has to live for when he can no longer do what gives him a sense of purpose: to ride and compete.
More films in London this week (A – Z): AMERICAN ANIMALS at Lexi Cinema (14 to 16 SEP). C’EST LA VIE! at Watermans (14 to 20 SEP). THE CLEANERS at DocHouse (14 to 20 SEP). COLD WAR at ICA (14 to 20 SEP). GENERATION WEALTH at The Montpelier (16 to 26 SEP). HEATHERS at Prince Charles (14 to 20 SEP). IN PRAISE OF NOTHING at ICA (14 to 20 SEP). I, TONYA at Whirled Cinema (17 to 23 SEP). LUCKY at ArtHouse Crouch End (14 to 20 SEP). THE MISEDUCATION OF CAMERON POST at Prince Charles (14 to 20 SEP). PARADISE presented by UKJF at JW3 (16 to 20 SEP). THE PREDATOR at Rich Mix (14 to 20 SEP ;-). UNDER THE WIRE at DocHouse (14 to 20 SEP). WEAPON OF CHOICE at DocHouse (14 to 20 SEP).
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
SIGN UP to our free eNEWS for regular updates about London’s indie cinema scene.
SUBSCRIBE to get our unique SCREEN GUIDE listings delivered directly to your inbox – plus other great rewards! – with a low-cost RADIANT CIRCUS monthly membership.
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We check box office each morning for films in London today and try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.