RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
WHERE THEY NEED TO STAND d. Daniele Gaglianone, 2019 + Q&A with the director at Regent Street Cinema (15 OCT 19:30):
- CinemaItaliaUK presents: “The issue of racism and fear of immigrants is increasingly current in most of Europe: populism and sovereign propaganda find here the fertile ground to nurture consent. Despite this, there are people who practice solidarity and welcome. The film tells the stories of 4 italian women, of different ages and from different border areas, who have decided to help the weakest.”
NEW AT RADIANT CIRCUS
LUNCHTIME FILM SOCIETY is a brand new popup cinema screening daily programmes of bitesize films for busy City workers at the Bridewell Theatre in the City Of London (22 OCT to 01 NOV 2019).
> Book here: sbf.org.uk/whats-on
Online at radiantcircus.com: The 13th Native Spirit Film Festival (12 to 20 OCT) continues this week. // Ranjit S. Ruprai aka SUPAKINO launched a new season of MIDNIGHT EXCESS at Rio Cinema this weekend. // Help Screen25 in South Norwood and The Horse Hospital stay open if you can.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
SECRETO MATUSITA d. Dorian Fernández-Moris, 2014 at The Cinema Museum (15 OCT 19:30 – FREE!):
- The General Consulate of Peru in London presents: “A free screening of SECRETO MATUSITA, the last of a cycle of three Peruvian horror films, directed by Dorian Fernández-Moris, and starring Bruno Espejo, Eduardo Ramos, Lupita Mora and Willy Gutiérrez.”
More films in London today (A – Z):
- Cine Mar: TRANSCENDING WAVES at Genesis Cinema (15 OCT 20:30).
- ED WOOD d. Tim Burton, 1994 presented by Deeper Into Movies at Peckham Levels (15 OCT 19:30 – FREE!).
- HAIL SATAN? d. Penny Lane, 2019 at The David Lean (15 OCT 19:30).
- HITSVILLE: THE MAKING OF MOTOWN d. Benjamin Turner & Gabe Turner, 2019 at The Prince Charles (15 OCT 15:35).
- HONEYLAND d. Tamara Kotevska & Ljubomir Stefanov, 2019 at ICA (15 OCT 14:45).
- MOBY DICK d. John Huston, 1956 presented by Tufnell Park Film Club at The Lord Palmerston (15 OCT 20:00)
> SIGN UP for free Friday emails highlighting 7 days of sensational screens.
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: REAL TO REEL at BFI Southbank (OCT to NOV):
- THIS SPORTING LIFEd. Lindsay Anderson, 1963 (15 OCT 14:30).
- JOURNEY TO ITALY aka Viaggio in Italia d. Roberto Rossellini, 1954 (15 OCT 20:50).
BLACK HISTORY (EVERY) MONTH at Genesis Cinema (OCT):
- DAUGHTERS OF THE DUST d. Julie Dash, 1993 presented by We Are Parable (15 OCT 18:30).
BLACK HISTORY MONTH at Everyman Cinemas (OCT):
- WAITING TO EXHALE d. Forest Whitaker, 1995 + Panel presented by Refinery29 (15 OCT 18:30 – King’s Cross).
- PURPLE RAIN d. Albert Magnoli, 1984 + Live Music presented by We Are Parable (15 OCT 19:30 – Crystal Palace).
CARLOS ACOSTA’S CINE CLUB at Wimbledon Library (15 to 17 OCT – FREE!/No booking required):
- CINEMA PARADISO d. Giuseppe Tornatore, 1988 (15 OCT 18:45).
LIVE CULTURES at Close-Up (15 to 25 OCT):
- SLEEP HAS HER HOUSE d. Scott Barley, 2017 + Shorts (15 OCT 20:15).
MAURICE PIALET AND THE NEW FRENCH REALISM at BFI Southbank (OCT to NOV):
- Sight & Sound Deep Focus: SOUND & FURY aka De bruit et de Fureur d. Jean-Claude Brisseau, 1988 (15 OCT 18:00); and, WILD REEDS 35mm aka Les Roseaux Sauvages d. André Téchiné, 1994 (15 OCT 20:45).
MUSICALS! THE GREATEST SHOW ON SCREEN at BFI Southbank (OCT to DEC):
- FAME d. Alan Parker, 1980 (15 OCT 18:05).
- Barbra Streisand: YENTL d. Barbra Streisand, 1983 (15 OCT 18:10).
NIGHTLIFE: OURSELVES, OUR SPACES ON FILM at Barbican (15 to 29 OCT):
- Queer Erasure? London’s LGBTQ+ Nightlife on Film + Q&A with Amy Lamé (15 OCT 18:30).
ONCE UPON A TIME WITH TARANTINO at The Prince Charles (ongoing):
- ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD 35mm d. Quentin Tarantino, 2019 (15 OCT).
THRILLERS & KILLERS & MONSTERS, OH MY! at The Prince Charles (27 SEP to 01 NOV):
- Monster Triple Feature: FRANKENSTEIN, DRACULA & MONSTER SQUAD d. ames Whale, Tod Browning & Fred Dekker, 1931 & 1987 (15 OCT 18:15).
> SUBSCRIBE to get our full listings emailed & support #LDNindieFILM.
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- Bloomsbury Festival (11 to 20 OCT).
- Native Spirit Festival (12 to 20 OCT – Read our RADIANT CIRCUS guide to the festival HERE).
- Ocean Film Festival World Tour (14 to 19 OCT).
BEANPOLE d. Kantemir Balagov, 2019 at ICA (15 OCT 18:20):
- “Russian filmmaker Kantemir Balagov’s hypnotic and rigorous third feature confirms his impressive capacity to deliver strong, accurate and delicate portraits of individuals in past and contemporary Russia.”
FARMING d. Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje, 2019 at Catford Mews (15 OCT 13:30 & 20:45):
- “Based on the writer/director’s childhood, FARMING tells story of a young Nigerian boy, ‘farmed out’ by his parents to a white British family in the hope of a better future. Instead, he becomes the feared leader of a white skinhead gang.”
YOUR TURN d. Eliza Capai, 2019 at DocHouse (15 OCT 14:20):
- “Following the student movement from the protests of 2013 until the election of the new president, Jair Bolsonaro, in 2018, YOUR TURN captures an urgent time in Brazilian politics. In the wake of the economic and social crisis, students protest and occupy hundreds of schools.”
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- BAIT d. Mark Jenkin, 2019 at The Castle Cinema (until 23 OCT). THE DAY SHALL COME d. Christopher Morris, 2019 at ArtHouse Crouch End (11 to 17 OCT). DOLEMITE IS MY NAME d. Craig Brewer, 2019 at The Prince Charles (11 to 22 OCT). THE FAREWELL d. Lulu Wang, 2019 at Watermans (11 to 24 OCT). FOR SAMA d. Waad Al-Khateab & Edward Watts, 2019 at The Castle Cinema (until 17 OCT). GOOD POSTURE d. Dolly Wells, 2019 at ArtHouse Crouch End (until 17 OCT). HUSTLERS d. Lorene Scafaria, 2019 at Genesis Cinema (until 17 OCT). JOKER d. Todd Phillips, 2019 at The Lexi (until 17 OCT). JUDY d. Rupert Goold, 2019 at Phoenix Cinema (until 17 OCT). MILES DAVIS: BIRTH OF THE COOL d. Stanley Nelson, 2019 at DocHouse (13 to 17 OCT). ONLY YOU d. Harry Wootliff, 2018 at Whirled Cinema (14 to 20 OCT). PAIN & GLORY d. Pedro Almodóvar, 2019 at ICA (until 17 OCT). THE SOUVENIR d. Joanna Hogg, 2019 at ICA (until 17 OCT). TEHRAN: CITY OF LOVE d. Ali Jaberansari, 2018 at Ciné Lumière (11 to 17 OCT).
Subscribe & support
RADIANT CIRCUS – “Home of alternative screen culture in London” (Film London) – is supported entirely by readers’ monthly subscriptions. Subscribers get our listings emailed directly as well as other great rewards. With enough subscribers backing us, we will be able to: 1) establish RADIANT CIRCUS as a permanent resource; 2) fund a full site rebuild to make our listings more social and searchable; and, 3) stage free events for subscribers as our way of saying a huge thank you! Our target? One thousand passionate film fans sharing what they love so that many more can discover it. Subscribe at patreon.com/radiantcircus
“I love everything you’re doing with RADIANT CIRCUS, the output is brilliant. And just so great to see it grow. Kudos to you.” (A fan via email!).
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.