RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Featured attraction: Closing event of Peckham & Nunhead Free Film Festival 2018 (31 AUG to 16 SEP): “Celebrate 250 years of circus with this very special screening of Charlie Chaplin’s film THE CIRCUS – originally released 90 years ago – in Zippo’s Big Top on Peckham Rye Common. Charlie Chaplin’s son Eugene will be in attendance and will introduce the film (16 SEP 19:00 – Free! / First come first served).”
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
Belle & Sebastian Film Festival at Moth Club (16 SEP 15:00):
- Deeper Into Movies has teamed up with Belle & Sebastian to screen their feature film GOOD HELP THE GIRL introduced by Stuart Murdcoh alongside the rarely seen film FANS ONLY and archive material. Prepare for an obsessively curated 90 min portrait of one of indie music’s most beloved bands.
THE HAUNTED HOUSE OF HORROR followed by An Evening With Michael Armstrong + SHORT: THE IMAGE at The Cinema Museum (16 SEP 18:00 & 20:00):
- Misty Moon presents: Shot in 1968 and released in 1969, The Dark, re-titled The Haunted House Of Horror (UK) and Horror House (US), went on to huge box offices grosses internationally, pre-empted the teenage slasher films by ten years and pushed the censorship boundaries further than any horror film before.
IL TUTTOFARE + Q&A with actor Guglielmo Poggi at Genesis Cinema (16 SEP 18:00):
- CinemaItaliaUK launches their new season: Antonio is a trainee lawyer who dreams of joining his mentor’s prestigious firm. But Salvatore “Toti” Bellastella is also a tyrant who asks Antonio any kind of task: from being his assistant to driver, from paralegal to personal cook. When Antonio brilliantly passes the bar, he gets the offer of becoming a partner in the firm, but there is still one condition: he must marry Isabel, Toti’s lover…
MICHAEL INSIDE + Q&A with director Frank Berry at Prince Charles (16 SEP 18:15):
- MICHAEL INSIDE tells the story of Michael McCrea (Dafhyd Flynn), an impressionable eighteen-year-old who lives with his grandfather Francis (Lalor Roddy) in a Dublin housing-estate. Michael’s life is changed dramatically when he is caught holding a bag of drugs for his friend’s older brother, and is sentenced to three months in prison.
More films in London today (A – Z):
- BLACK PANTHER at Rooftop Film Club, Peckham (16 SEP 19:30).
- BOY at Prince Charles (16 SEP 18:00).
- CROWHURST at Whirled Cinema (16 SEP 18:00).
- Double Bill: AKIRA + GHOST IN THE SHELL (1995) presented by Deeper Into Movies at The Five Bells (16 SEP 14:00).
- Double Bill: PARIS, TEXAS + REPO MAN at Rio Cinema (16 SEP 13:00 + 15:30).
- DOWN TO EARTH + INTRO at Picturehouse Central (16 SEP 12:50).
- THE GRAPES OF WRATH at Regent Street Cinema (16 SEP 15:00).
- THE HAPPY PRINCE presented by Stow Film Lounge at Mirth, Marvel & Maud (16 SEP 14:30).
- THE HEIRESS at Regent Street Cinema (16 SEP 17:30 & 19:30).
- HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON at BFI (16 SEP 13:30).
- ISLAND at Picturehouse Central (16 SEP 15:00).
- LOVE IS THE DEVIL at Deptford Cinema (16 SEP 19:30).
- MILDRED PIERCE at Genesis Cinema (16 SEP 20:30).
- OPENING NIGHT at BFI (16 SEP 14:15).
- PADDINGTON 2 at Rooftop Film Club, Stratford (16 SEP 20:0).
- THE SERVANT presented by Kennington Classics at The Cinema Museum (16 SEP 14:30)
- TRACKING EDITH at Phoenix Cinema (16 SEP 13:30).
- WALL-E at Picturehouse Central (16 SEP 15:30 – Other Picturehouses available!).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
BACK 2 SCHOOL at House Of Vans (06 to 23 SEP – Free!/No booking required):
- BACK TO THE FUTURE (16 SEP 14:00 & 16:00).
BLACK AND BANNED at BFI Southbank (SEP TO OCT):
- HOME AGAIN + Q&A with Kunle Olulode (16 SEP 17:15).
CLOSE-UP ON PETER WATKINS at Close-Up (05 to 28 SEP):
- EDVARD MUNCH (16 SEP 18:00).
FASHION ON SCREEN at Ciné Lumière (14 SEP to 03 OCT):
- WHAT MEN WEAR + DISCUSSION (16 SEP 16:00).
FIERCE: THE UNTAMEABLE JOAN CRAWFORD at BFI Southbank (until OCT):
HARRY DEAN STANTON FOCUS at BFI Southbank (SEP to OCT):
STOLEN SUMMERS various venues (02 to 16 SEP):
- FAT GIRL + PANEL (16 SEP 15:00, Genesis Cinema).
THE TELEVISION WILL BE REVOLUTIONISED: Channel 4 and the 1982 Workshop Declaration at Barbican (13 to 16 SEP):
- HANDSWORTH SONGS + SHORTS (16 SEP 16:00).
VARDA BY AGNÈS at Ciné Lumière (until 30 SEP):
- CLÉO DE 5 À 7 + SALON with Nick Walker, Rochester Kino (16 SEP 14:00).
WORKING CLASS HEROES at BFI Southbank (SEP to OCT):
- CHARLIE BUBBLES (16 SEP 20:10).
WORLD WAR ONE: REGENERATIONS at BFI Southbank (SEP to OCT):
- BLIGHTY 35mm + LIVE ACCOMPANIMENT by Costas Fotopoulos (16 SEP 13:20).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- Aperture: Asia & Pacific Film Festival (15 to 30 SEP).
- Catford Free Film Festival (09 to 16 SEP).
- Peckham & Nunhead Free Film Festival (31 AUG to 16 SEP).
- Safar Film Festival (13 to 18 SEP).
- Scalarama (SEP).
REINVENTING MARVIN at Ciné Lumière (16 SEP 18:00):
- Marvin Bijou (Finnegan Oldfield), a young gay boy from a working-class family in a small French village, suffers constant bullying at school and home for being too sensitive and too feminine. A chance encounter with a drama teacher opens the doors to a world that offers him the chance to escape his situation.
- Read our RADIANT CIRCUS writeup from LFF 2017.
REVERSING ROE at ICA (16 SEP 12:05):
- In their latest documentary, Ricki Stern and Annie Sundberg chronicle the history of the abortion and unpack the process by which it grew from a personal issue to a political one.
THE RIDER at Phoenix Cinema (16 SEP 17:45):
- Once a rising star of the rodeo circuit, Brady is warned that his competition days are over after a tragic riding accident. Back home, he finds himself wondering what he has to live for when he can no longer do what gives him a sense of purpose: to ride and compete.
More films in London this week (A – Z): AMERICAN ANIMALS at Lexi Cinema (14 to 16 SEP). C’EST LA VIE! at Watermans (14 to 20 SEP). THE CLEANERS at DocHouse (14 to 20 SEP). COLD WAR at ICA (14 to 20 SEP). GENERATION WEALTH at The Montpelier (16 to 26 SEP). HEATHERS at Prince Charles (14 to 20 SEP). IN PRAISE OF NOTHING at ICA (14 to 20 SEP). I, TONYA at Whirled Cinema (17 to 23 SEP). LUCKY at ArtHouse Crouch End (14 to 20 SEP). THE MISEDUCATION OF CAMERON POST at Prince Charles (14 to 20 SEP). PARADISE presented by UKJF at JW3 (16 to 20 SEP). THE PREDATOR at Rich Mix (14 to 20 SEP ;-). UNDER THE WIRE at DocHouse (14 to 20 SEP). WEAPON OF CHOICE at DocHouse (14 to 20 SEP).
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
SIGN UP to our free eNEWS for regular updates about London’s indie cinema scene.
SUBSCRIBE to get our unique SCREEN GUIDE listings delivered directly to your inbox – plus other great rewards! – with a low-cost RADIANT CIRCUS monthly membership.
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We check box office each morning for films in London today and try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.