RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Featured attraction: Soul Jazz Records presents LES STANCES À SOPHIE + INTRO by Stuart Baker + DJs at Regent Street Cinema (16 OCT 19:30): “A tour-de-force Nouvelle Vague/ French New Wave film that has amazingly been lost to the world for nearly fifty years!”
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
THE BAND’S VISIT + Skype Q&A with Itamar Moses at JW3 (16 OCT 20:00):
- An Egyptian brass band travels to Israel but arrives in the wrong town in this much-loved comedy featuring a classic roller skating scene. The film has recently been adapted into a multi award-winning Broadway musical. This screening will be followed by a Q&A with some of the people behind the musical.
GATEKEEPER + Q&A with director Lawrence Tooley at Austrian Cultural Forum (16 OCT 19:00 – Free!):
- Worlds collide when Ellie, a 40-something Viennese gallery owner crashes into Alec, a 24 year old human trafficking victim trapped in Vienna. She decides to help the young Romanian get back on his feet, but as their relationship goes from awkward friendship to love both are confronted with the cruel brutality of those who would rather see them apart.
LES STANCES À SOPHIE + INTRO by Stuart Baker + DJs at Regent Street Cinema (16 OCT 19:30):
- Soul Jazz Records presents: LES STANCES À SOPHIE is a tour-de-force Nouvelle Vague/ French New Wave film that has amazingly been lost to the world for nearly fifty years! The film features the infamous soundtrack by The Art Ensemble of Chicago, including ‘Theme de Yoyo’ featuring legendary soul singer Fontella Bass.
THEY SHALL NOT GROW OLD 3D + LIVE STREAMED Q&A with Peter Jackson at Odeon Wimbledon (16 OCT 18:00 – Sold out pretty much everywhere!):
- On the centenary of the end of the First World War, Peter Jackson presents an extraordinary new work, revealing the Great War as you’ve never seen it. Using cutting-edge technology to transform images and audio captured a hundred years ago, Jackson brings to life the people who can best tell the story: those who were there.
More films in London today (A – Z):
- I GOT LIFE! presented by Richmond Film Society at The Exchange (16 OCT 20:00).
- THE ODD COUPLE presented by Tufnell Park Film Club in tribute to Neil Simon at The Lord Palmerston (16 OCT 20:00).
- Peggy Seeger In Conversation + Signing + CARRY GREENHAM HOME at ArtHouse Crouch End (16 OCT 18:30 – Sold Out!).
- PERM-36. REFLEXION + PANEL at Pushkin House (16 OCT 19:00 – Sold Out!).
- SKATE KITCHEN at The Prince Charles (16 OCT 16:00).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
CLOSE-UP ON NURI BILGE CEYLAN at Close-Up (08 to 27 OCT):
- ONCE UPON A TIME IN ANATOLIA (16 OCT 19:30).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- BFI London Film Festival (10 to 21 OCT).
- Native Spirit Film Festival (11 to 21 OCT).
- Ocean Film Festival World Tour (15 to 20 OCT).
GUN NO. 6 at DocHouse (16 OCT 14:00):
- This investigative doc tracks the journey of Gun No. 6: Britain’s most wanted firearm. For over a decade during the early-2000s, when shootings in Britain were at their highest, Gun No. 6 changed hands to be used in 11 cases and 3 murders.
MANDY at The Prince Charles (16 OCT 12:50 & 15:30):
- Somewhere in the primal wilderness near the Shadow Mountains in the year 1983, Red Miller has fallen deeply for the beguiling Mandy Bloom. But the life he has made for himself comes suddenly and horrifyingly crashing down when a vile band of ravaging idolaters and supernatural creatures penetrate his idyllic paradise with vicious fury.
- Part of HORROROCTOBER (see seasons for listings).
More films in London this week (A – Z): ANCHOR AND HOPE at Watermans (12 to 18 OCT). BLACK ’47 at Watermans (12 to 18 OCT). COLUMBUS at ArtHouse Crouch End (12 to 18 OCT). THE ENDLESS at Whirled Cinema (15 to 21 OCT). FILMWORKER at The Montpelier (14 OCT to 24 OCT). THE JEWISH UNDERGROUND at DocHouse (12 to 18 OCT). KUSMAMA – INFINITY at DocHouse (12 to 18 OCT). THE MISEDUCATION OF CAMERON POST at The Prince Charles (15 to 18 OCT). SINK at Peckhamplex (12 to 17 OCT).
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
SIGN UP to our free eNEWS for regular updates about London’s indie cinema scene.
SUBSCRIBE to get our unique SCREEN GUIDE listings delivered directly to your inbox – plus other great rewards! – with a low-cost RADIANT CIRCUS monthly membership.
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We check box office each morning for films in London today and try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.