RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
THE L-SHAPED ROOM + Q&A with Leslie Caron at Ciné Lumière (17 JAN 18:30):
- Nominated for Best Actress in a Leading Role in the 1964 Academy Awards®, Leslie Caron briefly stepped away from the musicals such as AN AMERICAN IN PARIS and GIGI to take the role of Jane, a young French woman pregnant with an illegitimate child who finds love and friendship among an assortment of outsiders residing in her dingy Notting Hill neighbourhood.
- Part of a new year-long residency of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences at Ciné Lumière.
New at RADIANT CIRCUS:
- In the next in our series of interviews with London’s red hot indies, RADIANT CIRCUS chatted to Nuala O’Sullivan, director of the Women Over 50 Film Festival (WOFFF). The BEST OF THE FEST UK TOUR then pops-up at Mother’s Ruin Gin Palace, Walthamstow (03 FEB 16:00). Read more HERE.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
THE BICYCLE THIEVES 16mm + INTRO at The Castle Cinema (17 JAN 18:45):
- Ciné-Real presents: This landmark Italian neorealist drama became one of the best-known and most widely acclaimed European movies. Written and directed by neorealist pioneers Cesare Zavattini and Vittorio DeSica, the movie featured all the hallmarks of the neorealist style.
- Visit Ciné-Real’s spangly new website to pick up a discount code.
More films in London today (A – Z):
- A LEAGUE OF THEIR OWN – Remembering Penny Marshall at Genesis Cinema (17 JAN 18:30).
- L’ANIMALE at Austrian Cultural Forum (17 JAN 19:00 – Free!).
- BACK TO THE FUTURE presented by Crofton Park Pictures at Rivoli Ballroom (17 JAN 20:00).
- THE ‘BURBS 35mm at The Prince Charles (17 JAN 18:25).
- CLIMAX at ICA (17 JAN 21:05).
- DISOBEDIENCE at The David Lean (17 JAN 14:30 & 19:30).
- ONE CUT OF THE DEAD at Genesis Cinema (17 JAN 21:10).
- ROMA at BFI (17 JAN 18:15).
- SUSPIRIA  at The Prince Charles (17 JAN 15:00).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: THINGS THAT GO BUMP IN THE NIGHT at BFI Southbank (03 to 31 JAN):
- DEAD OF NIGHT (17 JAN 14:30 – Sold Out!).
KIM LONGINOTTO: VIXEN FILMS RETROSPECTIVE at Deptford Cinema (17 to 26 JAN):
- PRIDE OF PLACE + THEATRE GIRLS (17 JAN 19:15).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- London Short Film Festival (11 to 20 JAN).
> Read our RADIANT CIRCUS guide to LSFF 2019.
THE HOUSE BY THE SEA aka La Villa at Ciné Lumière (17 JAN 21:10):
- By a little bay near Marseille lies a picturesque villa owned by an old man. His three children have gathered by his side for his last days. It’s time for them to weigh up what they have inherited of their father’s ideals and the community spirit he created in this magical place. The arrival, at a nearby cove, of a group of boat people will throw these moments of reflection into turmoil.
ISLAND OF THE HUNGRY GHOSTS at DocHouse (17 JAN 21:00):
- A man makes a break for it in the blueish green light of the rainforest; rangers come to the aid of millions of land crabs as they begin their annual migration to the shoreline from the depths of the lush vegetation. Christmas Island is a place of both astounding beauty, and fierce nature, where the locals make offerings to their ghosts.
VOICES OF THE SEA at DocHouse (17 JAN 16:15):
- Although fisherman Orlando struggles to make ends meet, he is content with his life in Cuba, with his young wife Mariela and their extended family and community. Mariela dreams of a better life; financial security and a more stable future, a hope that is driving many Cubans to risk their lives on dozens of attempts to escape by boat and arrive on American soil.
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- AMERICAN ANIMALS at Whirled Cinema (14 to 20 JAN). AN IMPOSSIBLE LOVE at Ciné Lumière (until 17 JAN). A STAR IS BORN at The Prince Charles (until 17 JAN). COLETTE at Genesis (11 to 17 JAN). THE FAVOURITE at The Castle (11 to 17 JAN). FREE SOLO at Rio Cinema (until 17 JAN). THE INTERPRETER presented by UKJF at JW3 (13 to 17 FEB). THE JUDGE at JW3 (until 17 JAN). RBG at JW3 (until 16 JAN). ONE CUT OF THE DEAD at The Prince Charles (until 17 JAN). THE PASSENGER at BFI Southbank (until 24 FEB). SHOPLIFTERS at Rio Cinema (until 17 JAN). SINK OR SWIM aka Le Grand Bain at Ciné Lumière (until 16 JAN). SORRY TO BOTHER YOU at The Prince Charles (until 17 JAN). STAN & OLLIE at ArtHouse (11 to 17 JAN). THREE IDENTICAL STRANGERS at DocHouse (until 16 JAN). WIDOWS at The Prince Charles (until 17 JAN).
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
SIGN UP to our free eNEWS for regular updates about London’s indie cinema scene.
SUPPORT our work at RADIANT CIRCUS and help promote indie cinema in London. As a Patron, you will get our unique SCREEN GUIDES delivered directly to your inbox, exclusive discounts for screen events and much more!
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.