RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Featured attraction: amiina: FANTÔMAS at LSO St Luke’s (18 NOV 20:00): “The Icelandic neo-classical string group perform their latest project, a melancholic and haunting soundtrack, live to a screening of JUVE CONTRE FANTÔMAS, one of the 1913 FANTÔMAS silent series.”
New at RADIANT CIRCUS: We are delighted to announce a new partnership with Close-Up Film Centre that gives all RADIANT CIRCUS paid subscribers exclusive discounts for selected seasons and screenings in their programme. Check out our affordable monthly subscriptions and other great rewards at Patreon.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
amiina: FANTÔMAS at LSO St Luke’s (18 NOV 20:00):
- The Icelandic neo-classical string group perform their latest project, a melancholic and haunting soundtrack, live to a screening of JUVE CONTRE FANTÔMAS, one of the 1913 FANTÔMAS silent series.
FILM LONDON JARMAN AWARD WEEKEND 2018 at The Whitechapel Gallery (17 to 18 NOV):
- Bringing together the artists shortlisted for the 2018 Film London Jarman Award – Larry Achiampong & David Blandy, Jasmina Cibic, Lawrence Lek, Daria Martin, Hardeep Pandhal and Margaret Salmon – this weekend of events explores their different practices through screenings, talks, and performances.
THE HARDER THEY COME Film ‘n Food Evening at Lexi Cinema (18 NOV 20:00 – Sold Out!):
- Reggae legend Jimmy Cliff plays an aspiring young singer who leaves his rural village to make a name for himself. Robbed of his possessions on his first day in town, he finds work with a self-righteous, bullying preacher and an unscrupulous music mogul who exploits naïve hopefuls. Local restaurants will be providing Caribbean fare before the film, included in the £15 ticket.
More films in London today (A – Z):
- ACE IN THE HOLE at BFI (18 NOV 17:45).
- BLACK MOTHER at ICA (18 NOV 12:35).
- BORN TO BE BLUE presented by Deeper Into Movies at Miranda Ace Hotel (18 NOV 19:00 – CANCELLED!).
- COLD WAR at ICA (18 NOV 15:05).
- DOGMAN at Regent Street Cinema (18 NOV 14:00).
- DRIVE presented by Kennington Classics at The Cinema Museum (18 NOV 14:30).
- FACES PLACES at Whirled Cinema (18 NOV 18:00).
- IT’S A WONDERFUL LIFE presented by Pitshanger Pictures at St. Barnabas Millennium Halls (18 NOV 12:30).
- JOURNEY TO ITALY aka Viaggio in Italia at BFI (18 NOV 20:20).
- MAGIC presented by Mycenae Community Cinema at 90 Mycenae Road (18 NOV).
- MATANGI | MAYA | M.I.A. at ICA (18 NOV 18:40).
- THE PRICE OF EVERYTHING at Barbican (18 NOV 13:45).
- PULP FICTION 35mm at The Prince Charles (18 NOV 20:30).
- THE WIZARD OF OZ at Picturehouse Central (18 NOV 15:00 – Other Picturehouses available!).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
BFI COMEDY GENIUS TOUR at The Prince Charles (18 to 23 NOV):
- MONTY PYTHON & THE HOLY GRAIL(18 NOV 15:30).
CINEMA CLUB SELECTION at Electric Cinema Portobello (until 25 NOV):
CLOSE-UP ON INGMAR BERGMAN at Close-Up (02 NOV to 30 DEC):
CLOSE UP: SEBASTIÁN LELIO at BFI Southbank (OCT to NOV):
- THE YEAR OF THE TIGER aka El Año Del Tigre (18 NOV 20:10).
COMEDY GENIUS at BFI Southbank (OCT 2018 to JAN 2019):
- SOME LIKE IT HOT (18 NOV 15:00 & 17:20).
- 9 TO 5 (18 NOV 15:20, 17:40 & 20:00).
- THE PALM BEACH STORY (18 NOV 15:40).
JEAN COCTEAU RETROSPECTIVE at Ciné Lumière (until 18 NOV):
- LES PARENTS TERRIBLES (18 NOV 14:00).
KICK-ASS 80S COMEDIES at House of Vans (09 NOV to 02 DEC – Free! / No booking required):
- BEETLEJUICE (18 NOV 14:00 & 16:00).
THE STATE OF THE UNION at DocHouse (09 to 18 NOV):
- THE PRICE OF EVERYTHING (18 NOV 18:30).
STUDIO GHIBLI FOREVER at The Prince Charles (until 06 JAN 2019):
- FROM UP ON POPPY HILL (18 NOV 12:45).
UP NORTH & UNDERGROUND at The Prince Charles (10 NOV to 18 NOV):
- LAST NIGHT 35mm (18 NOV 13:00).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- Doc’n Roll Film Festival (01 to 18 NOV).
- French Film Festival (07 NOV to 09 DEC).
- Fringe! Queer Film & Arts Fest (13 to 18 NOV).
- GFEST (12 to 24 NOV).
- London Palestine Film Festival (16 to 28 NOV).
- Swiff: South West London International Film Festival (24 NOV).
- UK Jewish Film Festival (08 to 22 NOV).
- Underwire Film Festival (16 to 25 NOV).
- Unrestricted View Horror Film Festival (29 OCT to 04 NOV).
- Utopia: 9th Portuguese Film Festival (30 OCT to 29 NOV).
- Walthamstow Smartphone Film Festival (23 NOV).
- We The Peoples Film Festival (11 to 24 NOV).
NOW SHOWING: Read our RADIANT CIRCUS guide to this year’s Fringe! Queer Film & Arts Fest (various venues, 13 to 18 NOV).
9 TO 5 at BFI (18 NOV 15:20, 17:40 & 20:00).
- This gloriously feminist revenge comedy sees three put-upon office workers turn the tables on their sleazy boss. Judy (Jane Fonda), Violet (Lily Tomlin) and Doralee (Dolly Parton) bond over being mistreated by their boss: he yells at Judy on her first day, consistently takes credit for Violet’s ideas and sexually harasses Doralee. Fed up with him, and the sexist practices of their office, they dream of his removal.
SUSPIRIA (2018) at Rio Cinema (18 NOV 12:45, 17:45 & 21:00):
- A very original re-visit to Dario Argento’s 1977 cult horror classic by the director of CALL ME BY YOUR NAME features powerful performances from Tilda Swinton (x2), Dakota Johnson, Chloë Grace Moretz and Mia Goth plus a haunting score from Radiohead lead singer Thom Yorke.
THE WORKSHOP at ICA (18 NOV 20:50):
- Director Laurent Cantet’s Palme d’Or winning film THE CLASS (2008), used documentary style and improvisation by its teenage cast to trace a teacher’s interactions with his working-class high school students. Centring on a writing class comprising working-class Black, Arab and white students led by a celebrated Parisian novelist, THE WORKSHOP starts out looking similar but soon reveals its differences.
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- 3 DAYS IN QUIBERON at Ciné Lumière (16 to 30 NOV). ADRIFT IN SOHO at The Prince Charles (until 20 NOV). CHARM CITY at DocHouse (16 to 21 NOV). CLIMAX at ICA (until 22 NOV). MANDY at The Prince Charles (until 02 DEC). NAE PASARAN at ICA (until 22 NOV). THE PRICE OF EVERYTHING at DocHouse (16 to 22 NOV). SOME LIKE IT HOT at BFI (02 to 18 NOV). THIS IS HOME at DocHouse (16 to 22 NOV). WAJIB at Whirled Cinema (19 to 25 NOV). WIDOWS at ArtHouse Crouch End (until 22 NOV). WILDLIFE at BFI (16 to 21 NOV).
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
SIGN UP to our free eNEWS for regular updates about London’s indie cinema scene.
SUPPORT our work at RADIANT CIRCUS and help promote indie cinema in London. As a Patron, you will get our unique SCREEN GUIDES delivered directly to your inbox, exclusive discounts for screen events and much more!
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.