SCREEN GUIDE DAILY: Films in London today 19.02.19
RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Find films in London today by: SINGLE-O EXHIBITS (one-off attractions) // MUSEUM SHOWS (several exhibits under one roof – seasons & festivals) // GRIND SHOWS (a selection of regular runs).
AFTER THE STORM d. Hirokazu Koreeda presented by Richmond Film Society at The Exchange (19 FEB 20:00):
- “Ryota is an unsuccessful writer who struggles to reconnect with his young son after his divorce. Koreeda shows the warmth, subtlety and humour of family relationships in his typically unshowy but engaging style.”
NEW AT RADIANT CIRCUS
- ZODIAC FILM CLUB: “We like our on-screen sex beautifully shot, well dressed and with a bizarre back story.” Read Zodiac’s guide to sex education at the movies.
- NOW BOOKING: MULTIPLE MANIACS (1970) kickstarts a new John Waters ‘selectrospective’ at The Prince Charles Cinema (04 MAR to 26 JUN 2019). Read our guide to every goddam thing.
- FEBRUARY 2019: Planning ahead? Find out what’s screening for the rest of the month with our epic repertory roundup.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
OLD BOYS d. Toby MacDonald, 2018 + Q&A with the director & actor Alex Lawther at Curzon Soho (19 FEB 18:30):
- “A sweet British coming of age comedy that hilariously updates Cyrano de Bergerac. Amberson (Alex Lawther) is the bottom of the pecking order at boys’ boarding school Caldermount. Picked last for everything and awkward beyond belief, he is incapable of winning the attention of Agnes, the daughter of a visiting French teacher.”
More films in London today (A – Z):
- A PRIVATE WAR d. Matthew Heineman, 2018 + Q&A with Paul Conroy at Everyman Kings Cross (19 FEB 19:00).
- CAR WASH d. Michael Schultz, 1976 at The Prince Charles (19 FEB 18:30 – £1 PCC Members’ Screening).
- CHEF FLYNN d. Cameron Yates, 2018 at DocHouse (19 FEB 18:30).
- CLIMAX d. Gaspar Noé, 2018 at ICA (19 FEB 13:50).
- FREE SOLO d. Jimmy Chin & Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi, 2018 at The David Lean (19 FEB 19:30).
- HALE COUNTY THIS MORNING, THIS EVENING d. RaMell Ross, 2018 at DocHouse (19 FEB 14:45).
- ONE CUT OF THE DEAD aka Kamera o tomeru na! d. Shinichiro Ueda, 2018 at The Prince Charles (19 FEB 13:15).
- THREE IDENTICAL STRANGERS d. Tim Wardle, 2018 at The Prince Charles (19 FEB 15:45).
- THE UMBRELLAS OF CHERBOURG d. Jaques Demy, 1964 presented by Tufnell Park Film Club at Lord Palmerston (19 FEB 20:00).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
AND THE NOMINEES ARE… OSCARS 2019 at The Prince Charles (until 04 MAY):
- SHOPLIFTERS d. Hirokazu Koreeda, 2018 (19 FEB 13:30).
- FREE SOLO d. Jimmy Chin, Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi, 2018 (19 FEB 16:10 & 21:05).
BEST OF 2018 at Ciné Lumière (03 to 26 JAN):
- SHOPLIFTERS d. Hirokazu Kore-eda, 2018 (19 FEB 18:10).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: AND THE ACADEMY AWARD DIDN’T GO TO… at BFI Southbank (FEB):
- SWEET SMELL OF SUCCESS d. Alexander Mackendrick, 1957 (19 FEB 18:20).
- HAROLD & MAUDE d. Hal Ashby, 1971 (19 FEB 20:45 – SOLD OUT!).
CLOSE-UP ON VERA CHYTILOVÁ at Close-Up (13 FEB to 01 MAR):
- DAISIES d. Vera Chytilová, 1966 (19 FEB 20:45).
JOHN CARPENTER RETROSPECTIVE at The Prince Charles (until 31 JUL):
- THE FOG d. John Carpenter, 1980 (19 FEB 20:45).
LOVE? at Deptford Cinema (09 to 23 FEB):
- THE ECLIPSE d. Michelangelo Antonioni, 1962 (19 FEB).
MICHELANGELO ANTONIONI: CONFRONTING THE MODERN WORLD WITH STYLE at BFI Southbank (JAN to FEB):
- ZABRISKIE POINT d. Michelangelo Antonioni, 1970 (19 FEB 18:10).
STARRING BARBARA STANWYCK at BFI Southbank (FEB to MAR):
- NO MAN OF HER OWN 35mm d. Mitchell Leisen, 1950 (19 FEB 20:30).
- THE LADY EVE d. Preston Sturges, 1941 (19 FEB 14:30, 18:30 & 20:40).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
We don’t think there are any film festivals in London today. Let us know what we’ve missed!
JELLYFISH d. James Gardner, 2018 at Rio Cinema (19 FEB 18:00):
- Between being bullied at school, put upon by her overbearing boss at the local amusement arcade and having to look after her younger brother, sister and manic-depressive mother, life isn’t easy for 15 year-old Sarah Taylor. However, when Sarah’s drama teacher channels her ferocious and volatile energies in to a stand-up comedy routine for the graduation showcase, Sarah discovers that she may have a hidden talent…
MEKTOUB MY LOVE: CANTO UNO d. Abdellatif Kechiche, 2018 at Ciné Lumière (19 FEB 20:30):
- Abdellatif Kechiche (winner of the Palme d’Or at Cannes in 2013 for BLUE IS THE WARMEST COLOUR) casts a nostalgic glow on the wonders of youth in this coming-of-age saga set in 1994. Amin (Shaïn Boumedine), an aspiring screenwriter living in Paris, decides to reconnect with his family and his childhood friends in a fishing village in the South of France.
WHEN THE WAR COMES d. Jan Gebert, 2018 at DocHouse (19 FEB 20:30):
- There are few things as sinister as a young, arrogant man with a dictator-style hair-cut and a violent bully-boy attitude towards society. Peter Švrček lives with his mum in rural Slovakia and is angry about refugees. With various right-wing sympathies and neo-nazi ideals, Švrček proceeds to search for like-minded men to play army games in the woods with him, and gains confidence in his ideas by the election of Trump.
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- BEAUTIFUL BOY d. Felix van Groeningen, 2018 at Ciné Lumière (16 to 21 FEB). BURNING d. Lee Chang-dong, 2018 at Arthouse (15 to 21 FEB). CAN YOU EVER FORGIVE ME? d. Marielle Heller, 2018 at ArtHouse (15 to 21 FEB). THE FAVOURITE d. Yorgos Lanthimos, 2018 at Rich Mix (16 to 20 FEB). FORGOTTEN SOLDIER d. Lucile Smith, 2018 + 100 FACES d. Benjamin Till, 2018 at JW3 (17 to 21 FEB). FREE SOLO d. Jimmy Chin & Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi, 2018 at The Prince Charles (15 to 21 FEB). GREEN BOOK d. Peter Farrelly, 2018 at ArtHouse Crouch End (15 to 21 FEB). HALE COUNTY THIS MORNING, THIS EVENING d. RaMell Ross, 2018 at ICA (until 21 FEB). IF BEALE STREET COULD TALK d. Barry Jenkins, 2019 at Rich Mix (until 21 FEB). LOVELESS d. Andrey Zvyagintsev, 2017 at Whirled Cinema (18 to 24 FEB). MARY QUEEN OF SCOTS d. Josie Rourke, 2018 at Lexi Cinema (15 to 21 FEB). SHOPLIFTERSd. Hirokazu Kore-eda, 2018 at ICA (until 21 FEB). THE SILENCE OF OTHERS d. Almudena Carracedo & Robert Bahar, 2018 at DocHouse (15 to 21 FEB). VICE d. Adam McKay, 2018 at Watermans (15 to 21 FEB).
MORE: weekly digests // monthly roundups // event calendar // festivals A to Z.
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
SIGN UP to our free eNEWS for regular updates about London’s indie cinema scene.
SUPPORT our work at RADIANT CIRCUS and help promote indie cinema in London. As a Patron, you will get our unique SCREEN GUIDES delivered directly to your inbox, exclusive discounts for screen events and much more!
FOLLOW US on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram for daily updates.
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.