RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Featured attraction: Matt Turner & Ben Nicholson present the UK premiere of Blake Williams’ visually dazzling experimental 3D feature PROTOTYPE at Genesis Cinema (19 JUN 19:00): “Because it’s 3D, there is genuinely no other way to watch this film. You can’t torrent it, there is no vimeo link floating about. It might not screen again here. You have to turn up.” Ben Nicholson.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
PROTOTYPE(S) at Genesis Cinema (19 JUN 19:00):
- Following presentations at the Toronto International Film Festival and New York’s Museum of the Moving Image, promoters Matt Turner, Ben Nicholson & Genesis Cinema are very excited to present the UK premiere of Blake Williams’ visually dazzling experimental 3D feature PROTOTYPE plus shorts RED CAPRICCIO & SOMETHING HORIZONTAL (featured image).
- Read our RADIANT CIRCUS interview about the event.
THE UNFAIR at Deptford Cinema (19 JUN 20:00 – Free!):
- Amidst a messy construction site skirmish at which police officers and hired thugs are attempting to oust a group of protesters, a young cop is killed along with the even younger son of an activist. While the boy’s father admits to killing the officer, he claims it was in an attempt to protect his son from the dead officer’s fatal beating. In collab with the Korean Cultural Centre UK.
UP THE JUNCTION + SCREENTALK with Nell Dunn at Barbican (19 JUN 18:30):
- Ken Loach’s controversial adaptation of Nell Dunn’s short story collection shocked audiences in 1965 with its portrayal of young, working-class women in Battersea.
More films in London today (A – Z): AMERICAN GRAFFITI 35mm at The Prince Charles (19 JUN 20:45 – £1 PCC Members’ Screening). ARCADIA at Picturehouse Central (19 JUN 18:30 – Other Picturehouses available!). ATTACK THE BLOCK at Rooftop Film Club, Stratford (19 JUN 21:00). BABY DRIVER at Rooftop Film Club, Shoreditch (19 JUN 21:00). BAREFOOT IN THE PARK at BFI (19 JUN 20:20). CASSABLANCA at Nomad outdoor cinema, Citypoint (19 JUN 19:00). THE CIAMBRA + DISCUSSION with writer Damian Le Bas & film critic Christina Newland at ICA (19 JUN 18:20). FROM HATE TO SHALOM + PANEL with filmmaker Judy Weleminsky at JW3 (19 JUN 18:45). GHOSTBUSTERS (1984) presented by Time Out Movies On The River (19 JUN 20:00). THE HEART OF THE MATTER presented by Tufnell Park Film Club at The Lord Palmerston (19 JUN 20:00). IN THE CROSSWIND + Q&A with the costume designer Anna-Liisa Liiver presented by Embassy of Estonia in London and Baltic View at Regent Street Cinema (19 JUN 20:30). LA HAINE presented by Deeper Into Movies at The Five Bells (19 JUN 19:45). LIQUID SKY at ICA (19 JUN 16:30). LEK AND THE DOGS at ICA (19 JUN 16:20). LOVELESS presented by Wimbledon Film Club at HMV Curzon (19 JUN 20:30). MAKALA at The David Lean Cinema (19 JUN 19:30). REVENGE at The Prince Charles (19 JUN 13:15). SEXY BEAST at Rooftop Film Club, Peckham (19 JUN 21:00). SUBMARINE 35mm at The Prince Charles (19 JUN 18:30).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
ANIMATION 2018: THE FEMALE PIONEERS at BFI Southbank (2018).
- THE ADVENTURES OF PRINCE ACHMED + INTRO by Jez Stewart (19 JUN 18:30).
CLOSE-UP ON MICHELANGELO ANTONIONI at Close-Up (01 to 30 JUN).
- LA NOTTE (19 JUN 19:30).
HER NAME IS… at Genesis Cinema (14 to 30 JUN).
- JUNO + INTRO by Sarah Cook, Movies On Weekends (19 JUN 19:00 – Free!).
- WADJDA presented by Dispatch FMI (19 JUN 21:00).
IDA LUPINO: ACTOR, DIRECTOR, WRITER, PRODUCER, STAR at BFI Southbank (JUN).
- THE BIGAMIST 35mm + INTRO by Sophie Monks Kaufman (19 JUN 18:20).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
- A SEASON IN FRANCE (19 JUN 20:30, BFI).
THE PIANO at BFI Southbank (19 JUN 20:50):
- Jane Campion’s powerful, multi-Oscar-winning drama about a mute woman whose passions are unleashed. The screenings on 17 JUN 15:20 and 24 JUN 17:30 will have D/deaf or hard of hearing subtitles.
STANLEY A MAN OF VARIETY at Picturehouse Central (19 JUN 20:30):
- KIND HEARTS & CORONETS meets ERASERHEAD in this quirky and original one-man show starring Timothy Spall. A middle-aged man stuck in prison begins seeing hallucinations of comedy legends from yesteryear, including Max Wall, Margaret Rutherford and George Formby.
- There’s a Q&A with Timothy Spall coming… (24 JUN 19:00).
TRANNY FAG at ICA (19 JUN 21:00):
- The rock documentary and political manifesto TRANNY FAG depicts the life of Brazilian musician and spoken word artist Linn da Quebrada, a self-proclaimed ‘tranny fag’, who uses her body and music as weapons to fight machismo, transphobia, racism and conformity.
More films in London this week (A – Z): THE BREADWINNER at BFI (15 to 21 JUN). THE CIAMBRA at ArtHouse (15 to 21 JUN). THE HAPPY PRINCE at The Institute Of Light (15 to 21 JUN). MCQUEEN at Watermans (15 to 21 JUN). MY FRIEND DAHMER at The Castle Cinema (17, 18 & 20 JUN). NOTHING LIKE A DAME at JW3 (15 to 20 JUN). PHANTOM THREAD at Whirled Cinema (19 to 24 JUN). THE SQUARE at ICA (16 to 21 JUN). STUDIO 54 at DocHouse (15 to 21 JUN).
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
Get all our guides delivered directly to your inbox – plus other great rewards – with a low-cost RADIANT CIRCUS monthly membership, available exclusively at Patreon.
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We check box office each morning for films in London today and try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.