RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
FAITHLESS d. Harry Beaumont, 1932 + Discussion at The Cinema Museum (20 AUG 19:30):
- Women & Cocaine presents: “While her flamboyant public personality may be the most memorable character Tallulah Bankhead ever played, her portrayal of Carol Morgan comes pretty close. As a woman of style, wealth and no small amount of arrogance, Carol callously turns away businessman Bill Wade (the beautiful Robert Montgomery) because he is only moderately super rich. However, the great depression hits her hard and as her fortunes fall, she becomes involved with, and financially kept by a repulsive millionaire.”
NEW AT RADIANT CIRCUS
The ON THE EDGE OF THE FOLD season is curated by Viknesh Kobinathan, a student at the National Film & Television School, & screens at Rich Mix & Birkbeck Cinema (19 to 28 SEP 2019). We caught up with Viknesh to find out more.
Calling all City workers! We will shortly be launching a new popup cinema project to liberate you from lunch at your desk. Stay looped with our dedicated LUNCHTIME FILM newsletter.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
A MILLION LITTLE PIECES d. Sam Taylor-Johnson, 2018 + Q&A with the director & actor Aaron Taylor-Johnson at Everyman Kings Cross (20 AUG 19:45):
- “At the age of 23, James Frey woke up on a plane to find his front teeth knocked out and his nose broken. He had no idea where the plane was headed or any recollection of the past two weeks. An alcoholic for ten years and a drug addict for three, he checked into a treatment facility shortly after landing, where he discovers much more than detox and therapy. Based on the bestselling book.”
SPRINGSTEEN AND I d. Baillie Walsh, 2013 + Q&A with the director at Regent Street Cinema (20 AUG 19:30):
- Heavenly Films presents: “Combining personal videos from more than 2000 fans from around the world and rare archive footage, SPRINGSTEEN AND I is a unique music documentary. Directed by Baillie Walsh, and produced by Ridley Scott, it provides a powerful exploration of the bond between an extraordinary artist and his often even more remarkable admirers.”
More films in London today (A – Z):
- THE ABYSS: SPECIAL EDITION 35mm d. James Cameron, 1989 at The Prince Charles (20 AUG 20:05).
- BRAZIL d. Terry Gilliam, 1985 presented by Tufnell Park Film Club at The Lord Palmerston (20 AUG 20:00).
- DO THE RIGHT THING d. Spike Lee, 1989 presented by Deeper Into Movies at Peckham Levels (20 AUG 19:30 – FREE!).
- HAIL SATAN? d. Penny Lane, 2019 at Picturehouse Central (20 AUG 18:30 – Other Picturehouses available!).
- KILLER KATE! d. Elliot Feld, 2018 at The Prince Charles (20 AUG 15:30).
- OLDBOY 4K d. Chan-wook Park, 2003 at The Prince Charles (20 AUG 13:15).
- PENTAMIND: THE ULTIMATE MIND SPORTS CHAMPIONSHIP d. Hassan Amini, 2019 at JW3 (20 AUG 12:00).
- UNE FEMME DOUCE d. Robert Bresson, 1969 at ICA (20 AUG 14:25)
> SIGN UP for free Friday emails highlighting 7 days of sensational screens.
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
BACKYARD CINEMA: L.A. NIGHTS at Roundhouse (19 JUL to 24 AUG):
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: TURMOIL! at BFI Southbank (AUG):
- ALL ABOUT MY MOTHER d. Pedro Almodóvar, 1999 (20 AUG 18:30).
CARY GRANT: BRITAIN’S GREATEST EXPORT at BFI Southbank (AUG to SEP):
- NOTORIOUS d. Alfred Hitchcock, 1946 (20 AUG 18:10 & 20:45).
- PENNY SERENADE 35mm d. George Stevens, 1941 (20 AUG 20:30).
FILM4 SUMMER SCREEN at Somerset House (08 to 21 AUG):
- THE PIANO d. Jane Campion, 1993 (20 AUG 19:00).
NINETIES: YOUNG CINEMA REBELS at BFI Southbank (JUL to AUG):
- SHOW ME LOVE d. Lukas Moodysson, 1998 (20 AUG 18:20).
- BHAJI ON THE BEACH d. Gurinder Chadha, 1993 (20 AUG 20:40).
ONCE UPON A TIME WITH TARANTINO at The Prince Charles (until 14 AUG):
- PULP FICTION d. Quentin Tarantino, 1994 (20 AUG 20:40).
PHILLIP MARLOWE ON SCREEN at The Prince Charles (UNTIL 03 SEP):
- FAREWELL MY LOVELY 35mm d. Dick Richards, 1975 (20 AUG 18:25).
RE:DOX at DocHouse (ongoing):
- AMERICAN MOVIE d. Chris Smith, 1999 (20 AUG 16:20).
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB various roofs (until 31 JUL):
SAY WHAT HAPPENED: NICK FRASER SELECTS at DocHouse (13 AUG to 20 SEP):
- DREAMS OF A LIFE d. Carol Morley, 2011 (20 AUG 18:30).
SUMMER EXPLORERS! at The Soho Hotel (16 to 20 AUG – FREE!):
- TEIICHI: BATTLE OF SUPREME HIGH d. Akira Nagai, 2017 (20 AUG 18:15).
- INOUYASHIKI d. Shinsuke Sato, 2018 (20 AUG 20:40).
TRILOGIES & TRIPTYCHS at Close-Up Centre (01 AUG to 01 SEP):
- Miguel Gomes’ Arabian Nights – ARABIAN NIGHTS: THE ENCHANTED ONE d. Miguel Gomes, 2015 (20 AUG 20:15).
> SUBSCRIBE to get our full listings emailed & support #LDNindieFILM.
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
We don’t think there are any film festivals in London today…
DJON AFRICA d. Filipa Reis & João Miller Guerra at ICA (20 AUG 16:30):
- “The debut scripted feature by Portuguese documentarian duo Filipa Reis and João Miller Guerra stars non-professional actor Miguel Moreira (who appeared in the pair’s 2010 DocLisboa winner LI KÉ TERRA) as 25-year-old Djon África, born in Portugal to Cape Verdean parents. Loosely episodic in structure, the film narrates Miguel’s journey to Cape Verde in search of his father.”
JT LEROY d. Justin Kelly, 2018 at JW3 (20 AUG 18:20):
- “His first book Sarah, published in 1999, propelled young JT LeRoy to literary stardom. His semi-autobiographical account of a childhood blighted by drug and sexual abuse in America’s underbelly earned him a cult status. But more shocking than the topics LeRoy’s books explored was the truth behind them, finally exposed in 2006: LeRoy was a well-crafted persona created by Jewish Brooklynite Laura Albert and embodied by her boyfriend’s sister, the androgynous Savannah Knoop.”
ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD 35mm d. Quentin Tarantino, 2019 at Genesis Cinema (20 AUG 19:30):
- “1969 Los Angeles, where everything is changing, as TV star Rick Dalton (Leonardo DiCaprio) and his longtime stunt double Cliff Booth (Brad Pitt) make their way around an industry they hardly recognise anymore. We are so excited to be able to screen Quentin Tarantino’s latest masterpiece from a glorious 35mm print, the format on which it was shot.”
TRANSIT d. Christian Petzold, 2019 at ArtHouse Crouch End (20 AUG 12:30 P&B & 18:00):
- “Assuming the identity of a dead author Georg flees France after the Nazi invasion. With nowhere to turn, he is confounded to the corridors of a small hotel, the consulates, cafés and bars that line the harbour. Everything changes when Georg falls in love with the mysterious Marie. Based on the eponymous novel by Anna Seghers, award-winning director Christian Petzold (Phoenix, Barbara), tells the story of a nearly impossible love amid escape, exile and a longing for a place to call home.”
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- AMERICAN FACTORY d. Julia Reichert & Steven Bognar, 2019 at ICA (21 to 28 AUG). ANIMALS d. Sophie Hyde, 2019 at Rio Cinema (until 22 AUG). APOLLO 11 d. Todd Douglas Miller, 2018 at Rich Mix (16 to 22 AUG). BLINDED BY THE LIGHT d. Gurinder Chadha, 2019 at Lexi Cinema (16 to 22 AUG). THE CHAMBERMAID d. Lila Avilés, 2018 at ICA (until 22 AUG). GAZA d. Garry Keane & Andrew McConnell, 2018 at DocHouse (until 20 AUG). IN SEARCH… d. Beryl Magoko, 2018 at DocHouse (16 to 21 AUG). LETO d. Kirill Serebrennikov, 2018 at ICA (16 to 22 AUG). MARIANNE & LEONARD: WORDS OF LOVEd. Nick Broomfield, 2019 at ICA (until 22 AUG). NEVER LOOK AWAY d. Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck, 2019 at ICA (until 22 AUG). PHOTOGRAPH d. Ritesh Batra, 2019 at Watermans (16 to 22 AUG). STONES HAVE LAWS d. Lonnie van Brummelen, Siebren de Haan & Tolin Erwin Alexander, 2018 at ICA (until 22 AUG). WHEN HARRY MET SALLY 35mm d. Rob Reiner, 1989 at The Prince Charles (16 to 22 AUG).
Subscribe & support
RADIANT CIRCUS – “Home of alternative screen culture in London” (Film London) – is supported entirely by readers’ monthly subscriptions. Subscribers get our listings emailed directly as well as other great rewards. With enough subscribers backing us, we will be able to: 1) establish RADIANT CIRCUS as a permanent resource; 2) fund a full site rebuild to make our listings more social and searchable; and, 3) stage free events for subscribers as our way of saying a huge thank you! Our target? One thousand passionate film fans sharing what they love so that many more can discover it. Subscribe at patreon.com/radiantcircus
“I love everything you’re doing with RADIANT CIRCUS, the output is brilliant. And just so great to see it grow. Kudos to you.” (A fan via email!).
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.