RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Featured attraction: SHIRAZ at The David Lean Cinema (20 SEP 14:30 & 19:30): “Based on the romance between a 17th-century Mughal ruler and his queen, this epic silent movie retells the creation of one of the world’s most iconic structures: the Taj Mahal… This BFI restoration includes a score by Anoushka Shankar.” – The David Lean Cinema.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
Colin Farrell Fest: IN BRUGES + SEVEN PSYCHOPATHS + Q&A with Ros Hubbard at Regent Street Cinema (20 SEP 18:00):
- Presented by London Irish Film: Double bill with a special Q&A with world renowned casting director in between, celebrating Colin Farrell as Patron of the Irish Film Festival London. Includes a free drink!
DIY SHORT FILMS & Q&A/NETWORKING at St. Margaret’s House (20 SEP 18:30):
- The Film Bunch presents: Short films made with low-tech / disposable media such as phones, webcams, action / helmet cameras, CCTV and more! “Our mission is to improve access for deaf and hard-of-hearing people to mainstream short films, so we provide English captions and BSL interpreters.”
PARASOL PEAK + LIVE SET + Q&A with Manu Delago at House Of Vans (20 SEP 19:45 – Free! / Booking required):
- commune Cinema presents: Pioneer of the hang, musician Manu Delago leads an ensemble of 7 musicians on a mountaneering expedition in The Alps. Along the way, the band perfom a collection of brand new compositions in different locations, at varying altitudes.
PIN CUSHION + Q&A with writer-director Deborah Haywood at Genesis Cinema (20 SEP 21:00):
- #WomenInFilm2018 presents: British writer-director Deborah Haywood’s first feature PIN CUSHION tells the story of a unique mother-daughter duo: two glittering misfits who are knitted together in a relationship that is as kitsch and comforting as it is suffocating.
More films in London today (A – Z):
- BRIGHT STAR 35mm at BFI (20 SEP 20:30).
- Mystery Movie at Prince Charles (20 SEP 20:45).
- SHIRAZ at The David Lean (20 SEP 14:30 & 19:30).
- THELMA & LOUISE at Rooftop Film Club, Peckham (20 SEP 19:15).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
AFRICAN SCIENCE FILM SERIES at Bernie Grant Arts Centre (06 to 20 SEP):
- HIDDEN FIGURES (20 SEP 19:00).
ALWAYS SOMEWHERE ELSE – THE CINEMA OF ANGELA SCHANELEC IN DIALOGUE at Goethe-Institut (13 to 25 SEP):
- Joanna Hogg: UNRELATED & Angela Schanelec: MARSEILLE (20 SEP 18:45).
BACK 2 SCHOOL at House Of Vans (06 to 23 SEP – Free!/No booking required):
- RUSHMORE (20 SEP 17:00).
CLOSE-UP ON KIJU YOSHIDA at Close-Up (10 to 30 SEP):
- HEROIC PURGATORY (20 SEP 20:15).
FIERCE: THE UNTAMEABLE JOAN CRAWFORD at BFI Southbank (until OCT):
- I SAW WHAT YOU DID 35mm (20 SEP 20:40).
HARRY DEAN STANTON FOCUS at BFI Southbank (SEP to OCT):
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- Scalarama (SEP).
REINVENTING MARVIN at Ciné Lumière (20 SEP 16:00):
- Marvin Bijou (Finnegan Oldfield), a young gay boy from a working-class family in a small French village, suffers constant bullying at school and home for being too sensitive and too feminine. A chance encounter with a drama teacher opens the doors to a world that offers him the chance to escape his situation.
- Read our RADIANT CIRCUS writeup from LFF 2017.
REVERSING ROE at ICA (20 SEP 14:35):
- In their latest documentary, Ricki Stern and Annie Sundberg chronicle the history of the abortion and unpack the process by which it grew from a personal issue to a political one.
THE RIDER at Phoenix Cinema (20 SEP 18:30):
- Once a rising star of the rodeo circuit, Brady is warned that his competition days are over after a tragic riding accident. Back home, he finds himself wondering what he has to live for when he can no longer do what gives him a sense of purpose: to ride and compete.
More films in London this week (A – Z): AMERICAN ANIMALS at Lexi Cinema (14 to 16 SEP). C’EST LA VIE! at Watermans (14 to 20 SEP). THE CLEANERS at DocHouse (14 to 20 SEP). COLD WAR at ICA (14 to 20 SEP). GENERATION WEALTH at The Montpelier (16 to 26 SEP). HEATHERS at Prince Charles (14 to 20 SEP). IN PRAISE OF NOTHING at ICA (14 to 20 SEP). I, TONYA at Whirled Cinema (17 to 23 SEP). LUCKY at ArtHouse Crouch End (14 to 20 SEP). THE MISEDUCATION OF CAMERON POST at Prince Charles (14 to 20 SEP). PARADISE presented by UKJF at JW3 (16 to 20 SEP). THE PREDATOR at Rich Mix (14 to 20 SEP ;-). UNDER THE WIRE at DocHouse (14 to 20 SEP). WEAPON OF CHOICE at DocHouse (14 to 20 SEP).
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
SIGN UP to our free eNEWS for regular updates about London’s indie cinema scene.
SUBSCRIBE to get our unique SCREEN GUIDE listings delivered directly to your inbox – plus other great rewards! – with a low-cost RADIANT CIRCUS monthly membership.
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We check box office each morning for films in London today and try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.