RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Featured attraction: THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW + LIVE PERFORMANCE by the European All-Star Shadowcast at Rio Cinema (20 OCT 19:00): “Rocky Horror was probably not the first example of gender-bending on film, but it was the most in-your-face. When Dr Frank N Furter sings “I’m just a sweet transvestite” without any apology, it was empowering for many people. And Janet singing Touch-A Touch-A Touch Me was controversial, too – a girl wanting to be sexual in a let’s-get-down-and-do-it way.” – Richard O’Brien, The Guardian.
Save The Cinema Museum: With several independent venues under threat across London, RADIANT CIRCUS is proud to be supporting the campaign to Save The Cinema Museum. Read our interview with The Celluloid Sorceress, Rebecca Nicole Williams, about her SPARKLE fundraiser with Samira Ahmed [28 OCT 15:00], then get booking with our exclusive discount code.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
CANNIBAL CUTS at The King & Queen (20 OCT 17:00 – Free / Donation requested):
- World Wide Weird presents an evening of Italian Cannibal exploitation all in glorious 16 & 8mm. Programme includes various trailers, condensed features and the full MOUNTAIN OF THE CANNIBAL GOD aka Prisoner of the Cannibal God.
- Raising funds for Macmillan Cancer Nurses.
THE CFF STORY + Q&A with director Jason Gurr & Guests at The Cinema Museum (20 OCT 11:00):
- The Children’s Film Foundation (CFF) was a government-funded, non-profit-making organisation, making films for children in the UK. It was operational from 1951 to the mid 1980s. Its films were initially screened at the network of Saturday morning cinema clubs which at one time covered the UK; the films were later screened on children’s television. Premiere.
IDA + LIVE MUSIC + FOOD at Theatre Peckham (20 OCT 18:00):
- South Social presents: a tribute to Poland and to its most promising director, Pawel Pawlikowski. IDA is a film that will blow your mind, so charged with history, secrets, love and violence. Before the screening a delicious Polish buffet will be offered and super dashing Polish band, Tomasz Zyrmont Trio, will play live.
THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW + LIVE PERFORMANCE by the European All-Star Shadowcast at Rio Cinema (20 OCT 19:00):
- Celebrate the 30th year of TimeWarp, the UK’s only official Rocky Horror fan club. Includes: Pre-screening live show; live shadowcast performance; audience costume & participation; optional prop bags & themed cocktails. Dress code: “Don’t even think about wearing jeans and trainers!” / “No water pistols!”
More films in London today (A – Z):
- MARLINA THE MURDERER IN FOUR ACTS at Deptford Cinema (20 OCT 19:30).
- ORPHÉE at ArtHouse Crouch End (20 OCT 18:20).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
CLOSE-UP ON THE TAVIANI BROTHERS at Close-Up (05 to 22 OCT):
- PADRE PADRONE (20 OCT 18:00).
HORROROCTOBER at Prince Charles (OCT):
MOHSEN MAKHMALBAF: THE POETIC TRILOGY at Close-Up (02 to 20 OCT):
- THE SILENCE (20 OCT 20:15).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- BFI London Film Festival (10 to 21 OCT).
- Native Spirit Film Festival (11 to 21 OCT).
- Ocean Film Festival World Tour (15 to 20 OCT).
DOGMAN at ArtHouse Crouch End (20 OCT 15:55 & 20:55):
- Marcello is a small and gentle dog groomer who wants two things, to look after his clients’ dogs and take his daughter on exotic holidays. But to fund this lifestyle he runs a side business which has some rather unsavoury clientele and soon finds himself involved in a dangerous relationship of subjugation with Simone, a violent former boxer who terrorises the entire neighbourhood.
FAHRENHEIT 11/9 at DocHouse (20 OCT 18:00):
- Michael Moore is back. And this time, he’s coming after Trump. The legendary documentarian focuses on the date of Donald Trump’s presidential inauguration, to build a state of the nation that speaks to its community; exposing election rigging, media manipulation and the power of the youth.
More films in London this week (A – Z): FILMWORKER at The Montpellier (until 24 OCT). FIRST MAN at The Castle (19 to 25 OCT). MANDY at Rio Cinema (19 to 25 OCT). MY FRIEND DAHMER at Whirled Cinema (22 to 28 OCT). THE SCHOOL IN THE CLOUD at DocHouse (19 to 25 OCT). SINK at ArtHouse Crouch End (19 to 25 OCT).
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
SIGN UP to our free eNEWS for regular updates about London’s indie cinema scene.
SUBSCRIBE to get our unique SCREEN GUIDE listings delivered directly to your inbox – plus other great rewards! – with a low-cost RADIANT CIRCUS monthly membership.
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We check box office each morning for films in London today and try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.