SCREEN GUIDE DAILY: Films in London today 21.06.18
RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Find films in London today by: SINGLE-O EXHIBITS (one-off attractions) // MUSEUM SHOWS (several exhibits under one roof – seasons & festivals) // GRIND SHOWS (regular runs).
Featured attraction: ARCADIA at Rich Mix (21 JUN 21:00): “Scottish filmmaker Paul Wright raids the BFI archives to create a dreamy study of rural life that’s both nostalgic and nightmarish.” – The Skinny.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
ARCADIA at Rich Mix (21 JUN 21:00):
- Scouring 100 years of archive footage, much of it drawn from the BFI National Archive, BAFTA®-winner Paul Wright constructed an exhilarating study of the British people’s shifting – and contradictory – relationship to the land. ARCADIA is a compelling folk horror/archive film with a new score by members of Portishead and Goldfrapp.
- Screening + Q&A at BFI is Sold Out!
THE SORROW AND THE PITY – PART 2: THE CHOICE at Phoenix Cinema (21 JUN 10:30):
- Marcel Ophuls’ four-and-a-half hour portrait of the French town of Clermont-Ferrand under German occupation from 1940-44 is one of the greatest documentaries ever made, as important as Claude Lanzmann’s SHOAH in its value not just as a film but as an essential historical record in its own right.
WINNIE + NETWORKING/PANEL at Regent Street Cinema (21 JUN 19:30):
- Kush Films in association with Blaksox presents WINNIE as part of its Educate & Empower series. Hosted by GEEDA they join forces to bring the multi-award winning and controversial documentary film to UK audiences with a special young women’s leadership focus.
More films in London today (A – Z): DAZED & CONFUSED at Rooftop Film Club, Peckham (21 JUN 21:00). Double Bill: BLADE RUNNER: THE FINAL CUT + BLADE RUNNER 2049 at The Prince Charles (21 JUN 18:15). HAIRSPRAY (1988) at Rooftop Film Club, Stratford (21 JUN 21:00). KING OF HEARTS at Ciné Lumière (21 JUN 18:30). MOULIN ROUGE at Ciné Lumière (21 JUN 20:40). THE NIGHT PORTER aka Il portiere di notte 35mm at BFI (21 JUN 20:45). PEOPLE I KNOW + Q&A with Mark Searby at The Cinema Museum (21 JUN 19:30). ROAD TO PEACE part of Croydon Festival Of Peace at The David Lean Cinema (21 JUN 14:30 & 19:30). Steel Guitar: Legends & Lore In Country Music including a screening of HEARTWORN HIGHWAYS at The Horse Hospital (21 JUN 19:00 – Free!). THAT SUMMER presented by DogWoof at House of Vans (21 JUN 19:00 – Free!/ Booking required). TIERE aka Animals part of New Austrian Cinema at the Austrian Cultural Forum (21 Jun 19:00 – Free!).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
AGNÈS VARDA: VISION OF AN ARTIST at BFI Southbank (JUN to JUL):
- LE BONHEUR (21 JUN 20:50).
DIRECTED BY WOMEN / FEMALE GAZE at Deptford Cinema (ongoing):
- THE ARBOR presented by WIFSE25 (21 JUN 19:30).
HER NAME IS… at Genesis Cinema (14 to 30 JUN):
- LILYA 4-EVER + INTRO by Mary Wild, Projections (21 JUN 20:40).
WIM WENDERS at The Prince Charles (17 JUN to 30 AUG):
- ALICE IN THE CITIES aka Alice in den Städten 35mm (21 JUN 15:45).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
London Indian Film Festival (21 to 29 JUN):
- LOVE SONIA + Q&A with director Tabrez Noorani & cast/crew – opening night gala (21 JUN 18:15, Cineworld Leicester Square).
Refugee Week (18 to 24 JUN – screenings at BFI run 14 to 21 JUN):
- CENTRAL AIRPORT THF + INTRO by Farshid Moussavi (21 JUN 18:00, BFI).
THE PIANO at BFI Southbank (21 JUN 14:30, 18:10 & 20:40):
- Jane Campion’s powerful, multi-Oscar-winning drama about a mute woman whose passions are unleashed. The screenings on 17 JUN 15:20 and 24 JUN 17:30 will have D/deaf or hard of hearing subtitles.
STANLEY A MAN OF VARIETY at Picturehouse Central (21 JUN 18:50):
- KIND HEARTS & CORONETS meets ERASERHEAD in this quirky and original one-man show starring Timothy Spall. A middle-aged man stuck in prison begins seeing hallucinations of comedy legends from yesteryear, including Max Wall, Margaret Rutherford and George Formby.
- There’s a Q&A with Timothy Spall coming… (24 JUN 19:00).
TRANNY FAG at ICA (21 JUN 19:00):
- The rock documentary and political manifesto TRANNY FAG depicts the life of Brazilian musician and spoken word artist Linn da Quebrada, a self-proclaimed ‘tranny fag’, who uses her body and music as weapons to fight machismo, transphobia, racism and conformity.
More films in London this week (A – Z): THE BREADWINNER at BFI (15 to 21 JUN). THE CIAMBRA at ArtHouse (15 to 21 JUN). THE HAPPY PRINCE at The Institute Of Light (15 to 21 JUN). MCQUEEN at Watermans (15 to 21 JUN). MY FRIEND DAHMER at The Castle Cinema (17, 18 & 20 JUN). NOTHING LIKE A DAME at JW3 (15 to 20 JUN). PHANTOM THREAD at Whirled Cinema (19 to 24 JUN). THE SQUARE at ICA (16 to 21 JUN). STUDIO 54 at DocHouse (15 to 21 JUN).
MORE: weekly digests // monthly roundups // event calendar // festivals A to Z.
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
Get all our guides delivered directly to your inbox – plus other great rewards – with a low-cost RADIANT CIRCUS monthly membership, available exclusively at Patreon.
Follow us on Twitter & Instagram for news & updates.
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We check box office each morning for films in London today and try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.